Time does not equal skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
here we go again....... another thread crapped on!

dosk3n... sifu always says the minute you touch hands you should be able/will be able to know if you can beat him.one of our sifus was challenged by a hooooge guy the other week as he is starting a new class in a new area.he said the minute he touched hands he had the other guy beat and both of them knew it.
we did chi sau last night at the adanced class and i am by far the least experienced,with only single figures of hours rolling and i got creamed by almost everyone most of the time but even so there were a few guys with much more experience that the minute i touched hands i knew i wasnt in as much trouble as with the guy before.... lol not quite the same as knowing youre better but ill get there.
i cant wait for that time tho.

coffeedude..... you are making a lot of assumptions about the guys on here with their backgrounds. i appreciate you come from a tough turf and you have had a hard life and you are super tough and prepared to use a gun to win etc etc etc. how do you know there are not guys with similar backgrounds.....AND they have training in a formal system.

please for the love of everything pretty and flowery stop picking fights oer petty things people say.
for example
Try telling that to Paul Vunak. You would be shocked at what he did to chain punching and cannibalizing parts of systems into his own system but I would GUARANTEE YOU, 100% that this guy will destroy you.
do you know either of these guys?
have you touched hands or sparred with either of these guys?
C'mon fella. you cannot make statements like that without losing the respect of everyone on here when you do!
and despite what you think everyone was granted the same respect when they arrive on this forum, it is how you behave that allows you to keep it and earn more .... or lose it.
i have/had a grudging respect for you for doing what you do, the research you do the effort you put in, your knowledge of wing chun techniques etc, you know more chinese than i... but everytime you post and get confrontational with someone i switch off bit by bit!

this is just an internet forum for wing chunners so lets keep the threads on topic and with respect to the OP who has a real point of discussion instead of trying to tell everyone how well endowed you are metaphorically.
and i know you are an expert in reading people via the worldwide web and that you are probably gonna hunt me down across continents and oceans and put me to sleep permanantly with some ninja technique you hae perfected while levitating in an astral plane not of this dimension ........but it had to be said.take the chill pill dude!

and please guys..... stop feeding the trolls
and lets keep the threads on topic, it was amusing at first but now im losing the will to visit the forum right now!
matsu

Last edited:
OP
dosk3n

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Admin please close the thread now as the same thing is starting up again...

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
that you are probably gonna hunt me down across continents and oceans
I can actually do that lol! One time this guy was getting bad with me following me to other threads and I demonstrated that I found his mom, his real name, and phone number and threatened to call his mom due to his behavior, I even found the place he hangs out at, plus what he looks like. Have you seen what the 4chan guys do to people? Those guys are crazy and they're 10 times better at it than I am.

do you know either of these guys?

look at his credentials. He's trained Navy Seals.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think it's more a case of how you train not how long you've been doing it.
some people put 100% into everything they do and thus reap the rewards in a relatively short time. My good friend Sifu Julian Williamson ,who some of you London boys might know, is one of these types of people, a very hardworking practitioner. Then on the other hand there's people like a thai guy I trained with for a short spell called Chung. He had about 7 years of training on me but I ended up having to teach him basic stuff, and believe me, I'm not that good myself. He was way too stiff and made a lot of fundamental mistakes and I was left wondering how he could of trained for so long and still be at the level he was. It turns out the reason was just...him. His personality was such that he never stayed with anyone long enough to learn stuff from. He was (and still is)constantly bouncing from place to place and when he trained he only wanted to do what he liked and thought he was good at, always trying to ignore his weaknesses and not wanting to work on them.

IMHO, you can only begin to improve when you can admit your weaknesses and also be willing to put the hard work in, not just the hours.

just my tuppence worth and a last attempt to get this thread back on track.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
and threatened to call his mom due to his behavior,

OMG....you DID not just type that lmao....... ok this is definately a wind up now!

do you know either of these guys? look at his credentials. He's trained Navy Seals.
and my dad used to train the sealions at the zoo :) !!!

i dont doubt he is any good matey!
but the statement you made and others before were incredibly aggerssive and with no substance behind them. fact is untill someone touches hands with him,neither would know who is the better so to state "he will destroy you" was a little immature and just asking for a full on arguement?
am i making sense?
we would all like to give you the benefit of the doubt but with input onto this forum like those, people will just abusing you and none of us want that.

cwk- or the guy might have just been crap... or just a sloooooow learner like me lol. people in 10yrs might say that about me, wow hes trained for 10yrs and is still soooo bad.
i think we have to take into consideration just natural raw talent or genetic ability.
if we took say 20 14yr olds that were keen and hardworking and trainined them identically 5 hours per day for 6 months we would probably find that one of those kids just blew eeryone away, they would all have skill and be able but the kid/s with the raw natural talent would still get way ahead.

but like you say its about quality not quantity...as i was just telling my girlfriend last nite lol.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately there are people out there that inflate what they have done and what they know a great deal. Most of us with any time in the arts have seen this. It isn't exclusive to Wing Chun either. You are correct in never assuming that someone is good from what they tell you. My personal opinion is that if they have been a Wing Chun practioner for 12 years they should definitley know the forms. My sifu drilled form into me so much that I had dreams about them! :)

cofeerox, you are a bad man. Satisfied? Now please stop. If you want my name and particulars, send me a private tell. I'll save you the work and the threats.

OP
dosk3n

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you seen what the 4chan guys do to people? Those guys are crazy and they're 10 times better at it than I am.

As a /b/tard you should be aware that anon is not your personal army.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Coffeerox, you told BloodMoney 'he would do well to listen' in an earlier post. You need to follow your own advice.

I'm not even going to attempt to answer your last stabs at me. It's not worth my time and effort anymore. We have a saying here in the south and it goes 'it's the dog that doesn't bark that you need to be careful of'.

And it holds true on this forum. You have barked and barked, touted your skills, knowledge, and abilities over and over. I don't see others doing that. You insult members first and then get mad at them when they insult you back. Only for you to claim they started it when in fact you did. You've insulted everyone who has ever tried to help you and make you understand that YOU are not emperor of this planet and that you are not the most dangerous person ever known. You tout that nobody knows you or what you can do. Well, the same can be said in reverse. You don't know me, or anyone else on this forum, our skills, history, knowledge, backround, accomplishments, nothing. And you've never really asked to find out, either.

A good fighter researches his opponent before he/she engages in any contest. And it appears that is how you view posting on this forum, a contest. Too bad you haven't done your due diligence to find out about your opponents. And BTW, a master of anything, doesn't matter what, doesn't brag and shout to the heavens me, me, me, me. Because lest they do, lightning will come down and strike them at that instant. Or better yet, Murphy will slap them around just for the fun of it.

Since you are so good at online research, you would do well to be quiet and research the people you have and are about to scream harshly to, find out a little bit about them. You'd be surprised what you might find, or better yet, what you can't find which is even more dangerous. You, my friend, play with matches way too much, and one day, you will get burned.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
An old saying....." if you have to tell them who you are, you ain't"

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A word to the wise...

Cyberstalking, in any form, is a really good way to get yourself what Lady Callahan would call a permanent invitation to the world around these parts. Threats to do the same aren't whole lots better.

Boozmork

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Should we be worried about our posts if one of the readers is telling us that he's a dangerous man who would shoot someone whilst they were down and can also track us via the internet?
I don't use forums a lot but that seems a little beyond flaming.

:p Just curious

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have concerns about any post, by any poster (including staff!), please use the Report To Moderator button. It's a red triangle at the top right of each post, near the rep button.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Admin Note

Folks,

There have been a number of threads in this section lately, that have caused nothing but trouble. This is turning into one of those threads.

Please return to the original topic. If people are going to continue to take shots at each other, steer threads off topic, and disregard the rules, you will soon find yourself removed from the forum.

Consider this the one and only warning.

MJS
MT Asst. Admin

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i honestly dont think there has been any real threats.
a few tongue in cheek comments,some ridiculous showboating and a distinct clash of personalities.
but nothing that would worry me seriously or i hope any member on here.
its the internet after all and we can choose not to read/post or interact.
lets keep it clean guys lol
matsu

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Should we be worried about our posts if one of the readers is telling us that he's a dangerous man who would shoot someone whilst they were down and can also track us via the internet?
I don't use forums a lot but that seems a little beyond flaming.

:p Just curious

Ignore the chattering..The folks who are REAL THREATS would NEVER broadcast it..

JKS9119 said:
If you have concerns about any post, by any poster (including staff!), please use the Report To Moderator button. It's a red triangle at the top right of each post, near the rep button.

What he said...

Boozmork

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't really worried in any real way to be honest. It just concerns me that people think in such a way, even if it is to try to impress people or whatever. I just see it all escalating each time these threads go a bit awry and I'm starting to wonder where it's going to go next lol.
My view on this subject is that martial arts isn't about violence and it shouldn't ever go against the laws of the land, no matter what the situation. We learn to better ourselves, not to make us effective killing/maiming machines. The ability to defend ourselves should be used to raise our confidence and to be able to spot when a situation is going in a bad direction and effectively deflate the situation before it turns violent. Wing Chun is about economy of motion and efficiency, the most efficient way to fight is not to fight.

And to try and add my penny to the OP. I think time does equate to skill. But you also need to absorb what you're being taught and to study away from class. Dedication is important and dedication takes time.

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
i honestly dont think there has been any real threats.

you're right, there hasn't been any. It's just discussion on the dangers of what people can do, and being informed make us better martial artists.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...And to try and add my penny to the OP. I think time does equate to skill. But you also need to absorb what you're being taught and to study away from class. Dedication is important and dedication takes time.

Time, effort and dedication yield progress, but we each progress according to our own abilities. potential, and personal goals. Another thing is that we need to be totally honest with ourselves about what we have invested in our training. For example, I have numerous si-dei (junior kung-fu brothers) who have passed me in skill. And some, but not all of them are more gifted than I. They mostly just worked harder and longer.

For example, I could factually say that I've been studying kung fu since 1976 and WC/WT since 1079, spending about a dozen years as the number 2 US disciple of a famous Chinese Grandmaster who studied under Ip Man himself. But that would be a misrepresentation since it doesn't take into the account that during that time I was working on college and graduate degrees and frequently had to take time off from training to attend to my academic demands and financial needs. Nor does it mention that I quit training completely from about 1992 to 2007, only returning to WC in my 50s as a hobbiest. And that now I train and teach casually without the delusion of ever becoming a great master... rather, I just do it for my personal satisfaction.

My point is that I know a lot of people who have come further than I in less time. Heck, two of them are my instructors! And you know what? I'm good with that. It's not about the destination. It's about the journey.

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
i appreciate you come from a tough turf and you have had a hard life and you are super tough and prepared to use a gun to win etc etc etc. how do you know there are not guys with similar backgrounds.....AND they have training in a formal system.

lol yup, exactly what I was getting at. Agreed.

I can actually do that lol! One time this guy was getting bad with me following me to other threads and I demonstrated that I found his mom, his real name, and phone number and threatened to call his mom due to his behavior, I even found the place he hangs out at, plus what he looks like. Have you seen what the 4chan guys do to people? Those guys are crazy and they're 10 times better at it than I am.

So...on top of being a troll you cyber stalk people?

Im new to this forum as is obvious, and in all honesty if people like this are allowed to operate here then maybe I should find somewhere else to chat about martial arts?....

An old saying....." if you have to tell them who you are, you ain't"

Amen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions