Thriving schools

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain this has been discussed before at some point, in this thread or another, but there seems to be a perception that the majority of taekwondo schools are "sport" schools. I could certainly be wrong, since I can only talk about what I have seen, but in my experience, "sport" schools are rare. I think a "sport" school is a niche thing, maybe even a bigger niche than a self-defence school. The overwhelming vast majority of students I have come across have had no interest in competition, and absolutley no thought of ever competing in the olympics. Even the schools I've seen who compete a lot have had a relatively low % of students who compete. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 80% or more of the students don't compete, or compete only recreationally at small local events. I've only heard of a few schools that teach only "sport." And those schools are small groups of elite students who want to train in a more competitive environment than in the general student body of a normal school.

So, to be on topic, I don't think there are many "thriving" sports schools out there, because just like a SD school, the numbers will be small, by design.

I tend to think of the pure taekwondo sport schools as finishing schools. Those are operations that only admit students with prior experience, usually young athlete blackbelts, who want to specialize in WTF sparring. I don't think someone like Juan Moreno, for example, enrolls beginners he has to teach the basics. Some highly specialized self dense dojangs are or really should be finishing schools, where people who already have a solid taekwondo foundation, preferably blackbelts, would go to learn specialized stuff, and stuff they could use regurly in jobs such as security guards, body guards, law enforcement folks, etc. There is a place for the finishing schools, I mention, but the idea that they should or can be for every taekwondoin is misguided, because they are tailored for a very minute segment of the market. There simply is no big demand out there, from ordinary people, for hardcore self defense or WTF sparring training.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to think of the pure taekwondo sport schools as finishing schools. Those are operations that only admit students with prior experience, usually young athlete blackbelts, who want to specialize in WTF sparring. I don't think someone like Juan Moreno, for example, enrolls beginners he has to teach the basics. Some highly specialized self dense dojangs are or really should be finishing schools, where people who already have a solid taekwondo foundation, preferably blackbelts, would go to learn specialized stuff, and stuff they could use regurly in jobs such as security guards, body guards, law enforcement folks, etc. There is a place for the finishing schools, I mention, but the idea that they should or can be for every taekwondoin is misguided, because they are tailored for a very minute segment of the market. There simply is no big demand out there, from ordinary people, for hardcore self defense or WTF sparring training.

I agree.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying and agree with you. Perhaps whatever small amount can go to the church or community center or simply to a charity or mission trip. I'm not rolling in money, but I consider myself very blessed (in more ways than just financial). My love is not for the money, but for the teaching itself. That is not to be taken as against someone teaching for a living.

:)

I had the good fortune to meet someone doing exactly that over the summer. The dreadful economy up in Maine, plus some challenging family issues (special needs child, etc.) lead to this fellow closing his school. He started teaching at his church with an emphasis on welcoming, encouraging, and teaching people with various challenges. He does charge a small amount but the money goes to the church...which is also struggling financially.

I don't have an issue with teaching for a living either, but I think there is a special inspiration that comes from meeting someone who is driven to teach for reasons other than money. :)