Threads going off topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I will give you an example which has happened quite often and this is why I keep starting the same stuff over and over again. Sometimes, I will start a topic about martial arts students who want to pursue belt rank on how to pursue that goal. Then, there will be people who will say that belt rank isn't important and that they don't care to pursue such a goal and/or that to pursue belts as a goal is missing the point. People who say stuff like that are entitled to their opinions but the point of my threads is not to be a debate over whether or not belts should be a goal but rather IF belts are your goal, how to go about fulfilling it. As for people who don't think it should be a goal, that is where I would like to agree to disagree and leave it at that. But, for such people to enter in on a conversation on how to achieve belt rank doesn't make sense if its something they have no interest in. Much like I would never participate in a conversation on how to become a good interior decorator because interior decoration is a field I have absolutely no interest in.
THIS is why your posts go off topic. You posted a topic about thread derails and halfway through your first post you derailed your own thread by going on and on about belt ranks. If you cant stay on your own topic how do you expect others too?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Should I wear a hat to my daughter's wedding in July? You have no idea how much I've been thinking about this, it's actually annoying me now because I can't make up my mind!
If its an outdoor wedding yes if indoors no

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
THIS is why your posts go off topic. You posted a topic about thread derails and halfway through your first post you derailed your own thread by going on and on about belt ranks. If you cant stay on your own topic how do you expect others too?
I was using belt ranks as an example of how posts of mine have been derailed in the past as it has happened quite often.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was using belt ranks as an example of how posts of mine have been derailed in the past as it has happened quite often.
YES then you made multiple posts about it in effect killing your own thread.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
YES then you made multiple posts about it in effect killing your own thread.

I made multiple posts using it as an example of how past threads of mine have been derailed but still the main topic of discussion is about staying on track in a conversation.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bunny_with_Pancake.jpg

'cause I like pancakes.......
rolling.gif

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I made multiple posts using it as an example of how past threads of mine have been derailed but still the main topic of discussion is about staying on track in a conversation.
LOL so you derailed your own thread about thread derailments..........OK

Look you wanted to know why your threads go bad well I showed you. Go take a look in the mirror and that guy you see is the main reason.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL so you derailed your own thread about thread derailments..........OK

Look you wanted to know why your threads go bad well I showed you. Go take a look in the mirror and that guy you see is the main reason.

OK so than from now on I should tell people when they are going off topic but I should make sure not to bring it off topic myself or for that matter to bring it further off topic.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My son is going to wear something Steampunk, elegant and cool. He needs a black walking cane with a silver top but sadly not a swordstick.

Now, this is where debates happen, someone will ask what Steampunk is, another will say they love it, another that they don't like it, yet another will ask what exactly he's wearing. All these comments make up a conversation, none are derailing the 'thread'. It may turn into a debate when someone says they prefer a particular type of hat because it looks smart and another says they find them uncomfortable and untidy. Places to buy Steampunk clothing may be put into the conversation, others will talk about conventions they've been to. It may carry on to be a conversation about swordsticks. It's how humans communicate, you cannot start a thread on here, ask for an opinion then complain when the subject gets expanded because nothing is black and white. What happens on here mimics real life conversations in that they do flow back and forward, on here it keeps to a subject closer than a face to face conversation does but there's still a lot of very different opinions that come from the large amount of people that post on here.
Awe, silver knob....my kid has one floating around with a spider embedded in acrylic! (not Chtulu though...)

Of course you need to wear a hat. A small one, but a hat! With goggles, and veil.

Anyhow, communication, if you talk to a bunch of people with ADOS, thread drift is unavoidable.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Photonguy some times threads do go off topic but... most of the time they do stay on topic to some degree. If you start a thread and feel it is going off topic then please report it and we will take a look.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's note

Thread closed, pending staff review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions