Thoughts on flexible weapons nunchaku monkey fist flail meteor hammer etc?

John Codero

White Belt
Reaction score
I practise Ng Ying Kungfu and we also have flexible weapons like Nunchaku, Chain, Meteor Hammer.

The Nunchaku is most effective and easyier to apply in selfdefense.

Overall many flexible weapons look like showe weapons in martial arts. I do not like them.

Better use a normal belt or something

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I practise Ng Ying Kungfu and we also have flexible weapons like Nunchaku, Chain, Meteor Hammer.

The Nunchaku is most effective and easyier to apply in selfdefense.

Overall many flexible weapons look like showe weapons in martial arts. I do not like them.

Better use a normal belt or something
Is a nunchaku something you carry around in your day to day duties, though? No matter how good a weapon is for SD, it's useless if you don't have it when you need it.

D

Deleted member 39746

Is a nunchaku something you carry around in your day to day duties, though? No matter how good a weapon is for SD, it's useless if you don't have it when you need it.

Arent they generally easier (at least in some respects) to conceal? Since its not say a X length rigid object you have to hide on your persons, its two short sticks connected by some form of cordage. that can be easier pending circumstance. that is as far as i know the appeal to that chain weapon, that its pretty easy to hide on you.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Arent they generally easier (at least in some respects) to conceal? Since its not say a X length rigid object you have to hide on your persons, its two short sticks connected by some form of cordage. that can be easier pending circumstance. that is as far as i know the appeal to that chain weapon, that its pretty easy to hide on you.
and who apart from a Bruce Lee movie character is actually going to carry one around

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the US, they are often illegal. And while someone could carry one, the question was whether that person actually does.

D

Deleted member 39746

In the US, they are often illegal. And while someone could carry one, the question was whether that person actually does.

The reminds me, somewhere banned them for being a garrot, that is just hillarious to me. I also forgot they are one of the weapons pretty much globally subject to scrutiny.

Would be nice if someone did some testing to compare diffrent designs of them to convetional weapons and a chain basically. Pending cirumstance it might be easier to conceal than some tradtional weapons. And as we know ease of carry translates into how much you would want to carry the thing.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The reminds me, somewhere banned them for being a garrot, that is just hillarious to me.
The chucks? Hmm... Maybe... I guess... I know for a fact that there are documented cases (late 19th Century U.S.) where a slungshot (the "monkey fist flail") was used as a garotte. I read the accounts. IMS, I think the perp was sent to Singsing.

If I squint, I can see someone linking the fact that a slungshot has been used as a garotte to a pair of chucks being used. Heck, I bet if you look around you could probably find someone instructing it right now. Probably find it in a book. Maybe even find it in bad 70's Karate/Kung Fu movies.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was a brown belt a friend gave me a pair of chucks that he had brought back from overseas. They were smaller than the usual and very fast. I was oh so cool in the mirror every day, showing off and really flying with them. I could hum those suckers, didn't actually know how to use them, but who cared?

I even had the pose down...

bruce-lee-nunchaku.jpg

And made all the appropriate Bruce Lee noises.

One day I conked myself right behind the ear where the skin is thin and tight. Oh, man, I started bleeding like a stuck pig, covered in blood. My shirt looked like I had been in a car accident. My buddy drove me to the ER where they stitched me up. While stitching, the Doc asked me how I cut my head and I told him about the chucks. He didn't know what they were.

Another Doc is walking by and my Doc motions him in. He says, "This is a karate guy, he hit himself in the head with a stick." The second Doc looks behind my ear, laughs and leaves.

Comes back a minute later with yet another Doc, and a nurse. He says the same to them, they laugh and leave.... and even more hospital people come and ask "Is the the Karate guy?"

It was a local hospital...and I was forever known as the Karate Guy Who Hit Himself in the Head With a Stick.

Good times.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...The Karate Guy Who Hit Himself in the Head With a Stick. Good times.

mid 1970s: Hit myself in the back of the head, on the ear, the elbow ...a lot, in the groin... never got covered in blood, but plenty ob deep bruises and bumps, and a few cuts. Yeah, good times.

For self defense, carry a cane. Or if you have to, an expandable baton, and only if it's legal where you live. OK in Arizona. Most everything is.

...I just carry my sense of humor and watch out where I go. It's worked so far. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...I just carry my sense of humor and watch out where I go. It's worked so far. :)

I'll bet it has!

Good to read you again, bro. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chucks? Hmm... Maybe... I guess... I know for a fact that there are documented cases (late 19th Century U.S.) where a slungshot (the "monkey fist flail") was used as a garotte. I read the accounts. IMS, I think the perp was sent to Singsing.

If I squint, I can see someone linking the fact that a slungshot has been used as a garotte to a pair of chucks being used. Heck, I bet if you look around you could probably find someone instructing it right now. Probably find it in a book. Maybe even find it in bad 70's Karate/Kung Fu movies.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen it a couple of times in those bad movies. And I think many of the laws in the US were a result of those movies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mid 1970s: Hit myself in the back of the head, on the ear, the elbow ...a lot, in the groin... never got covered in blood, but plenty ob deep bruises and bumps, and a few cuts. Yeah, good times.

For self defense, carry a cane. Or if you have to, an expandable baton, and only if it's legal where you live. OK in Arizona. Most everything is.

I agree wholeheartedly on the cane. Nobody makes them illegal, and they're handy if your own knees are the assailant.

In many states, an expandable baton is less often legal than a gun. You can get a permit to carry the latter, but never the former, which confuses the heck outta me.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly on the cane. Nobody makes them illegal, and they're handy if your own knees are the assailant.

In many states, an expandable baton is less often legal than a gun. You can get a permit to carry the latter, but never the former, which confuses the heck outta me.
Some states concealed carry weapons license also covers expanding batons, otherwise-illegal knives, etc. But not most.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I am not a fan of flexible weapons. Like they look good in routines but I have yet to really see the martial aspect of them. When compared to non-flexible counterparts I don't see any advantage. I am wondering your guys thoughts and if you guys have any stories of people using them in martial applications?

Hello everyone!

My name is Ryan (Taipando). Its great to join this forum!

Here is a video of a guy demonstrating a few flexible wepons among others.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Ryan (Taipando). Its great to join this forum!

Here is a video of a guy demonstrating a few flexible wepons among others.
I don’t know why some people put the stuff on the internet that they do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much of that looked usable for any kind of combat. Especially the kicks (I use the term loosely).

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not much of that looked usable for any kind of combat. Especially the kicks (I use the term loosely).

Yeah, looks like a backyard "master." Far too many flaws to even think about listing them.

Were those kicks? I thought he was just checking his shoe to see if he stepped in some dog poo. I couldn't watch past the first half of the video - just had dinner. Agree most all of the weapon moves were useless. Pray that guy never gets into a knife fight. Most likely self-"taught." I hope he didn't pay anybody to teach him this stuff.

Ryan - If you're there, don't equate looking cool with being skilled. Many here have experience with actual weapon masters and are not impressed by amateurs. Thanks for your interest and welcome to the site. Hope you stick around and enjoy the chat - some of it is very informative.

Last edited:

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like a backyard "master." Far too many flaws to even think about listing them.

Were those kicks? I thought he was just checking his shoe to see if he stepped in some dog poo. I couldn't watch past the first half of the video - just had dinner. Agree most all of the weapon moves were useless. Pray that guy never gets into a knife fight. Most likely self-"taught." I hope he didn't pay anybody to teach him this stuff.

Ryan - If you're there, don't equate looking cool with being skilled. Many here have experience with actual weapon masters and are not impressed by amateurs. Thanks for your interest and welcome to the site. Hope you stick around and enjoy the chat - some of it is very informative.

Thanks for the welcome!

I would have to agree that it wasn't very applicable to real life combat. It seems that there are two camps in the martial arts world. There are "martial ARTS" and then there are "MARTIAL arts". I'll have to admitt that even I have jumped around between the two. I like my Combatives to be as practical as possible, with nothing useless in them. My philosophy on it is (to quote Miyamoto Musashi) "Do nothing that is useless".

Then there sre times when I do like to just "look cool", and mess around a little. I think there should be a balance though. You can teach "looking cool" and treat it like it is combat ready.

Latest Discussions