I just buyed nunchaku! What's your thoughts on this?

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I ordered them last week. Yesterday, my nunchaku arrived. It took me back to days when i was children and when every gift maked me the most happy person on the world, with that beautiful feeling inside. First few minutes i unpacked them i was a litlle child, so happy.

I didn't want them so so much, but looks like i did, somewhere inside!

I got wooden ball bearing nunchaku connected with chain. Soon i realised it was no toy at all! Incredible power they can generate. I got them two days and already i have few bruises. It really hurts.

However, what you think about this: i think i can learn how to work with nunchaks, even i can perfect it. But martial arts is principles, rather then tehniques i think! No matter how good i handle them i don't know principles behind that weapon and i can't get it full potential.

I am aware of that, and ok, it's exhibition and fun for me (but it's hard and requires time and will). Who know, maybe one day, if i stick to it, i can visit Kobudo master and really learn something.

edit: but i'm planning at least to get some book / books about nunchaku. If you have any recommendations, i wil appreciate.

OP
ForeverStudent

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well i have full protection helmet and bruises over the body i will survive.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Heh, at least wear your mouthguard when you practice!

I am no expert on nunchuks, to say the least, but as with any martial art I say look for a live instructor to demonstrate the techniques properly for you and to observe and correct your technique. If you cannot afford to sign on long term with a local school, perhaps talk to an instructor about a few private lessons to get you going in the right direction. Better to learn correctly from the beginning than to have to correct bad habits later on.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This weapon is dangerous on both ends, wielding and receiving. I had a friend, BB, years ago enter a competition, and in the heat of kata battle administer 6 stitches to his
forehead. Didn't knock himself out but what a kata. Start slow and be careful.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here are a couple of videos on nunchaku use. In the first video, it is how nunchaku were traditionally used.

Here is a video how most people THINK that they are supposed to be used.

Who we secretly wish was our nunchaku instructor whether it's traditional or not.

REALLY depends on what you are looking for. At the very least get a nice heavy bag and practice hitting the bag with your nunchaku, make sure you have some good head protection in case that nice rebound hits you in the noggin'. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
ForeverStudent

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wish i have an instructor, but not i can't find any in my city, i even can't find any in my country.

I am aware this is actually a weapon, and can be dangerous. I do everything slowly, no sudden moves, and i think what will i do before i do it (random swing hurts :O ). I wear full protection helmet, it means it protect my face (with steel), my sidehead, back head, and tophead.

I wish i could use them as in second video, as a weapon, instead as just show off.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Forever Student, the second and third clips that Punisher posted were, frankly, rubbish. That's why he posted them, to show you the difference between the way the weapon is actually used (the first clip, which was incredibly good, by the way) and the next two completely removed from reality clips. If you just want to show off like a circus juggler, go for the second two clips. If you want to understand the weapon, watch the first one many many many many times over.

I do have to ask, though, why did you buy them in the first place? If you have no instructor in this weapon, you have no reference books/DVDs (still not recommending those, by the way), and you have no experience in the weapon, you aren't about to use it in a real encounter, or carry them around with you, why did you get the things? My suspicion is that you are enamoured with the spinny-flashy aspect of their Hollywood use, yeah? If so, realise that that is far removed from their use as weapons. And be prepared for more than bruises it you collect yourself good and proper with them.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
The second video relates to nunchaku use like taebo relates to karate.
A cheap and flashy knockoff, whose primary goal is to look awesome but without any martial application at all. Kinda like extreme martial arts or twirling.

OP
ForeverStudent

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Forever Student, the second and third clips that Punisher posted were, frankly, rubbish. That's why he posted them, to show you the difference between the way the weapon is actually used (the first clip, which was incredibly good, by the way) and the next two completely removed from reality clips. If you just want to show off like a circus juggler, go for the second two clips. If you want to understand the weapon, watch the first one many many many many times over.

First, apologise to you, because i write wrong: i meant i want to use them as in a first video! I don't like show off as in second video (it's nice but it's not a weapon then, rather circuss then martial art). Third video have some good things :)

I do have to ask, though, why did you buy them in the first place? If you have no instructor in this weapon, you have no reference books/DVDs (still not recommending those, by the way), and you have no experience in the weapon, you aren't about to use it in a real encounter, or carry them around with you, why did you get the things? My suspicion is that you are enamoured with the spinny-flashy aspect of their Hollywood use, yeah? If so, realise that that is far removed from their use as weapons. And be prepared for more than bruises it you collect yourself good and proper with them.

I buyed them because i want to learn some weapon. Simply as that. Reference books / dvd i will order for sure. I like how the master used them in first video. Nunchaks ain't the only weapon i like, but it takes litlle space to practice (compared with bo example), and besides that, Bruce Lee used them (kidding a litlle)! I think nunchaku can be great weapon in pair with Hapkido, at least if used as in the first video.

OP
ForeverStudent

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

First, apologise to you, because i write wrong: i meant i want to use them as in a first video! I don't like show off as in second video (it's nice but it's not a weapon then, rather circuss then martial art). Third video have some good things :)

I buyed them because i want to learn some weapon. Simply as that. Reference books / dvd i will order for sure. I like how the master used them in first video. Nunchaks ain't the only weapon i like, but it takes litlle space to practice (compared with bo example), and besides that, Bruce Lee used them (kidding a litlle)! I think nunchaku can be great weapon in pair with Hapkido, at least if used as in the first video.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you get into swinging them, it can take up a lot of room.... and again, books and DVDs are great aids and supplements, but they are not very good for learning something you don't have a teacher for. Does your instructor not teach any weapons at all?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

Nunchakus are also illegal weapons in many places. If you are going to train with a weapon for martial applications such as self defense, then it would be common sense to choose a weapon that you could legally carry. Or the other way around: start using something you can carry like a weapon (like a sturdy pen)

OP
ForeverStudent

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When you get into swinging them, it can take up a lot of room.... and again, books and DVDs are great aids and supplements, but they are not very good for learning something you don't have a teacher for. Does your instructor not teach any weapons at all?

Loot of room, but just about i have. I am aware of that i alone with books and dvds can't learn as i would learn with teacher. But i wan't leave it because of that.

In Hapkido we do with tonfa, knifes, short sticks, guns, and some basic circular drills with bokken. But it's mainly just how to defend from that weapon, not learning the weapon. Except short sticks, we learn how to defend with them.

OP
ForeverStudent

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nunchakus are also illegal weapons in many places. If you are going to train with a weapon for martial applications such as self defense, then it would be common sense to choose a weapon that you could legally carry. Or the other way around: start using something you can carry like a weapon (like a sturdy pen)

It's not illegal in my country. But howevever i am not planning to carry it around.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm noting that there are Okinawan Kobudo weapons listed there, your instructor doens't teach Nunchaku as well by any chance? Other than that, I would have advised something along the lines of the sticks anyway, so I'd look at that before trying the Nunchaku.

OP
ForeverStudent

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm noting that there are Okinawan Kobudo weapons listed there, your instructor doens't teach Nunchaku as well by any chance? Other than that, I would have advised something along the lines of the sticks anyway, so I'd look at that before trying the Nunchaku.

Thanks for advice. I already do with sticks. I just want to see how Nunchaks going, it's been my wish for a long time. I have will, i am not two days in martial arts, and i will have book and dvd's. Surely i am not going to be Grandmaster of nunchaku but i can learn something.

OP
ForeverStudent

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Country is Croatia. There is no laws about it but this is how things going: if cops see you carrying it around you better have a good reason for it. If you are martial artist and can prove that you are member of ma club there should be no problem. Otherwise they will take it away and have a note that you carried it.

If you used it for self defense, then it's matter did you overused it. Stopping the attacker with equal force with which he attacked you is self defense and you shouldn't be prosecuted. Hitting and hurting someone to much, means overuse and agression is considered as armored assault and better not to be guilty for one.

Latest Discussions