Thought I'd share this tip...

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
A few months ago I picked up on the fact that although I was showing people their mistakes and they would correct them if I moved them during that session, it seemed to quickly fizzle out and they'd go back to doing it their old way.

Then I started using my iPad to film people doing poomsae and kicks and showed them on the video. After the first session I also bought an app called Coach's Eye (I've no business or personal relationship with them, just a happy customer) that allows you to frame-by-frame the action and annotate it with lines and arrows.

This has been quite frankly great! I've had improvements in students after a single session videoing a few poomsae that would have taken weeks of nagging (don't forget you're doing X during this part) to get.

Anyway, I don't know who out there is trying to make better use of technology during their instruction, but I thought I'd post a recommendation for this method (and that app).

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This app is so cool. We use it in poomsae all the time now.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Great tip!!! I use the iPad to help at referee's meetings (teaching new referees how to ref) and have found that the iPad is great for being able to play back the action. But this app sounds awesome. Thanks.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been filming for a few years now with the iPhone and iPad. Also got the Coaches Eye a few months ago and have been using that as well. Love this app and it has helped. It was a parent that introduced me to the app. He was a parent that came to our school from another school.

But even without the CE app there is no better way to see your mistakes than recording yourself. Many don't know what they are doing wrong even when you tell them, but for some reason once they see it themselves they understand and then start to realize when they do it and can correct it. There is a reason Football, Basketball and other high profile sports use film.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A few months ago I picked up on the fact that although I was showing people their mistakes and they would correct them if I moved them during that session, it seemed to quickly fizzle out and they'd go back to doing it their old way.

Then I started using my iPad to film people doing poomsae and kicks and showed them on the video. After the first session I also bought an app called Coach's Eye (I've no business or personal relationship with them, just a happy customer) that allows you to frame-by-frame the action and annotate it with lines and arrows.

This has been quite frankly great! I've had improvements in students after a single session videoing a few poomsae that would have taken weeks of nagging (don't forget you're doing X during this part) to get.

Anyway, I don't know who out there is trying to make better use of technology during their instruction, but I thought I'd post a recommendation for this method (and that app).

Thanks a million for that tip. I've gone to three kyorugi tournaments over the last four months where I have seen extensive use of the i-pad and that's driving me to switch from video, which I've used for many years. I've always been frustrated by the clumsiness on reviewing unedited copy in the field, on the camera. The ap sounds awesome.

scottC

White Belt
Reaction score
Great idea! To go along with this, i have seen (actually at a gymnastics place) is to use low price security cameras. You can hook them up to a tv and just rewind the video. This allows students to watch themselves easily and in class.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Mr. Jeffries. I checked out the app and it looks cool. I'm looking forward to trying it out at the dojang!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Andy. I grabbed a copy right after I first saw your post, and I've been using it quite a bit. Very good app.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great idea! To go along with this, i have seen (actually at a gymnastics place) is to use low price security cameras. You can hook them up to a tv and just rewind the video. This allows students to watch themselves easily and in class.

Where this app beats the simple setup you describe is the ability to frame-by-frame the action and draw lines and arrows on the screen (this is useful in describing how the motion should happen, or demonstrating correct height of strikes).

Glad those of you that have tried it are liking it.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sorry i missed this til now. This looks like a great app. Im def interested.

thanks!!!

rainesr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to check this out this software, it sounds very cool.

But...

Some parents went berserk when they found out my former TSD teacher filmed students for the same purpose. I would definitely add a section about filming studens, especially kids, in your contracts or waivers. I suppose technology is more accepted now but all it takes is one paranoid parent and a lawsuit.

~Rob

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a similer application that works on a PC based computer?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a similer application that works on a PC based computer?
I think using the app on a PC defeats the advantage of the technology. The big advantage of using an I-Pad is that you shoot the video and use the AP for immediate review on the I-Pad. If you load the software on a PC, would you shoot the video with a video camera and download the video to the PC?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are Windows and Android based tablets out there... at least for the moment.

Couple of law suits are going in different directions on some of the patent stuff there, but the reality is there will be non-Apple tablets and the like.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think using the app on a PC defeats the advantage of the technology. The big advantage of using an I-Pad is that you shoot the video and use the AP for immediate review on the I-Pad. If you load the software on a PC, would you shoot the video with a video camera and download the video to the PC?

My BJJ coach used to do this for our private sessions, send me an annotated video afterwards. It's still useful, but I agree not as useful as immediate feedback, so you can try the correction in the moment.

In this vein, another thing that Coach's Eye does is let you upload the annotated version to their servers and email a link to the student. This means they have a copy to review at home with your voice overlay and arrows and to compare in a few months for improvement.