difference.

Pinigseu1

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all, I wanted to see what differs most between tkd schools. So, I know that most schools have one or two things that sets their school apart from everyone else. For example my school puts great attention on poomse (stances,strength,power,landing at the same time.) I believe that when you see a students form then you can tell how well the master teaches. Anyone else feel this way?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey all, I wanted to see what differs most between tkd schools.
Within the same federation, you will see a general comonality of curriculum with nuances according to the preferences and experiences of the instructors and to a certain extent, the students. The dojang/dojo/studio environment is the sum of both the atmosphere provided by the instructional staff and the energy, attitudes, and experiences of the students. Regardless of how autocratic the kwanjang may try to be.

So, I know that most schools have one or two things that sets their school apart from everyone else. For example my school puts great attention on poomse (stances,strength,power,landing at the same time.) I believe that when you see a students form then you can tell how well the master teaches. Anyone else feel this way?
To the extent that students are a reflection of their teacher, I agree, though I think that how a student reflects his or her instructor is more complex than simply the instructor's quality of teaching.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I wanted to see what differs most between tkd schools. So, I know that most schools have one or two things that sets their school apart from everyone else. For example my school puts great attention on poomse (stances,strength,power,landing at the same time.) I believe that when you see a students form then you can tell how well the master teaches. Anyone else feel this way?

Echoing what Daniel stated, an organization can define to a greater or lesser extent the focus of a specific TKD school (can also apply to other arts as well). For example, when one thinks of KKW TKD, one generally thinks of Olympics, competition, a specific type of sparring, specific types of kicks, specific types of forms etc. Another TKD school (or organization) may focus on different goals which, in turn, will have elements or skill sets that differ, sometimes dramatically. The forms may differ, or if the same forms are used, the applications differ. One school may emphasis kicking as a predominate skill, whereas another equal it out more between hands and foot skills. And some TKD schools may go very much indepth into locks, throws, chokes and even ground fighting as part of the TKD training.

Perhaps that is one of the strenghts of TKD in that it can have a little (or a lot) of something for everyone.

OP
Pinigseu1

Pinigseu1

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree and I think that is why I love TKD so much. It truly allows people of all age groups to choose how to use it and practice it. Well said gents thanks for your input.

Marcy Shoberg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's been my experience that WTF taekwondo schools all teach Olympic sparring and almost all teach Tae Geuk forms (with some teaching Palgwe and some very few teaching no forms or forms made up by the instructor or his/her instructor). Then, some teach power breaking moves, some teach fancy jump kick breaking moves, some teach responses to grabs or other self-defense skills. Any self-defense skills taught would vary greatly from dojang to dojang.

ITF schools would teach point-style sparring, ITF forms, one-step sparring responses to high punches, and I don't know what else.

Then, there are unafiliated taekwondo schools that teach some WTF things, some ITF things, and probably some other things.

As far as saying that you can tell how good an instructor is by his students ability in forms, I would disagree. The instructor may choose to focus on forms, or on sparring, or on character development, or on any number of things. So you could tell how good an instructor is by how good his students are at the thing he chooses to focus on, but you still need to ask yourself if you agree that that is the most important thing to focus on.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been my experience that WTF taekwondo schools all teach Olympic sparring and almost all teach Tae Geuk forms (with some teaching Palgwe and some very few teaching no forms or forms made up by the instructor or his/her instructor). Then, some teach power breaking moves, some teach fancy jump kick breaking moves, some teach responses to grabs or other self-defense skills. Any self-defense skills taught would vary greatly from dojang to dojang.

ITF schools would teach point-style sparring, ITF forms, one-step sparring responses to high punches, and I don't know what else.

Then, there are unafiliated taekwondo schools that teach some WTF things, some ITF things, and probably some other things.

As far as saying that you can tell how good an instructor is by his students ability in forms, I would disagree. The instructor may choose to focus on forms, or on sparring, or on character development, or on any number of things. So you could tell how good an instructor is by how good his students are at the thing he chooses to focus on, but you still need to ask yourself if you agree that that is the most important thing to focus on.

Surely a good instructor focuses on technique without which there is nothing, a very good instructor doesn't concentrate on any one part but will ensure his students have good all round skills. If you have good forms/kata it improves everything else btw.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Surely a good instructor focuses on technique without which there is nothing, a very good instructor doesn't concentrate on any one part but will ensure his students have good all round skills. If you have good forms/kata it improves everything else btw.
I'll agree to that, but what are your thoughts on the question posed in the OP?

Latest Discussions