This touched me.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Today my fellow co-conspirators and I took our scout troops to the veteran's day parade.
By about 1 o'clock I was doubting my sanity as the young ones were running circles in the parking lot, rolling and crouching, behaving like that proverbial bag of fleas.

On the up side, the weather was gorgeous! Not a cloud in the sky, 70 degrees, slight breeze.

We found our spots, got each a flag to wave while walking down main street. The turnout was ok, of course at the heart of the festivities there were more than on the rest of the route, plus the street is pretty wide, split in half by a median in parts, so the parade was a bit lob sided.

The girls were great, considering we had only 4 attend (two were sick) and we had to hide one behind the banner, because all that playing in the parking lot was clearly visible! :)
We made it alright, all the way to the end before we turned back.

Then - here is the important part - a little bit up the road when we walked back, there was this couple sitting there in their chairs, watching. I don't remember much about the woman, but I felt compelled to give this older gentleman the little flag I had carried. He looked at me a little surprised, but accepted, then I realized that tears were running down his face. Not because of my little flag, I am sure.

I don't know what made me look, because he was no different from the other old gentlemen along the parade route or participating...

So taking the time and trouble to walk down a few blocks in a parade can have an impact on somebody's life.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always tear up at anything aimed at honoring Vets. Not because of my time in but because of the friends I lost, and the ones that came before me that I never knew but gave it all for us. I think of my good friends like Jason, Matt, Eric, and James. They all lost their lives all under 25 years old. I look at my kids and think they never got to be a father, a husband, a grandfather. I miss them and will never ever forget them
Semper Fi.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Never underestimate the little things. Just like in martial arts, that tiny, little detail can make all the difference.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good on you granfire!

No matter how humble and unassuming most vets are, they still like to feel what they did was appreciated from time to time. Especially Vietnam vets, many of whom were treated quite disrespectfully when they returned.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since Big Bill is taking a hiatus...some of my pictures, now mind you, I was in the parade, and only had the small camera on me.
316_zps91e3db79.jpg

[/URL][/IMG]

317_zpsbd1b4cf7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Sheriff's old toy
333_zps6406b5ac.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Sheriff's new TOY
335_zpsc5053673.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You know, they sold this puppy as emergency responder during tornadoes...yep, I can see it, still nothing for an F5, but tons better (pun!) than a charger!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's cool. They stopped having Vets Day parade here because nobody was showing up to watch it. Sad really

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good on you granfire!

No matter how humble and unassuming most vets are, they still like to feel what they did was appreciated from time to time. Especially Vietnam vets, many of whom were treated quite disrespectfully when they returned.

When I was in my 20s, a college friend asked me down to her parents house in Rhode Island for the 4th of July. She said her dad always does a cookout before the parade.

What I didn't realize is that the little town of Bristol, RI has one of the largest 4th of July parades in the country. There were people from all over who came to this little town to march in the parade, many wearing elaborate costumes or turning their vehicles in to fancy floats. It was amazing to see...although it was also very long, and a bit overwhelming.

The parade got to a point where it seemed like it was winding down. There was more space between the participants. There was less glitz and glam, and more ordinary people, such as a VFW post from someplace or a scout group from someplace else. A large red pickup truck slowly rolled by with a few greying gents in the back. On the side was a hand-drawn sign identifying them as Vietnam Vets from someplace. Something made me want to applaud them, so I clapped and cheered as I had done for some of the razzle-dazzle acts. One of the gentlemen looked at me and shouted back a loud "Thank you!" I didn't no what to say, so I just shouted back "Thank YOU!" There was something his face that immediately changed. He called back "Anytime!" with a voice that was clearly breaking.

I don't think I will ever forget that.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I went to the parade yesterday, yes there definitely is something about it is touching. For one I was only planning on staying thirty minutes but I stayed the full time. There's no one answer but there is something special about seeing the troops and veterans come back home

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was in my 20s, a college friend asked me down to her parents house in Rhode Island for the 4th of July. She said her dad always does a cookout before the parade.

What I didn't realize is that the little town of Bristol, RI has one of the largest 4th of July parades in the country. There were people from all over who came to this little town to march in the parade, many wearing elaborate costumes or turning their vehicles in to fancy floats. It was amazing to see...although it was also very long, and a bit overwhelming.

The parade got to a point where it seemed like it was winding down. There was more space between the participants. There was less glitz and glam, and more ordinary people, such as a VFW post from someplace or a scout group from someplace else. A large red pickup truck slowly rolled by with a few greying gents in the back. On the side was a hand-drawn sign identifying them as Vietnam Vets from someplace. Something made me want to applaud them, so I clapped and cheered as I had done for some of the razzle-dazzle acts. One of the gentlemen looked at me and shouted back a loud "Thank you!" I didn't no what to say, so I just shouted back "Thank YOU!" There was something his face that immediately changed. He called back "Anytime!" with a voice that was clearly breaking.

I don't think I will ever forget that.

Well done!

Latest Discussions