Veterans Surround Occupy Detroit

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am one of the official photographers of the annual Veterans Day Parade in Detroit, Michigan. This year, the parade was nearly canceled by Detroit, as they tried to charge the non-profit that runs the parade tens of thousands of dollars to provide police officers, block the streets, etc. At the last minute, the parade was saved. There was also the problem that the parade goes down Woodward Blvd, one of the main streets in Detroit, and it has a 'roundabout' at Grand Circus park, which is where Occupy Detroit has taken up residence.

The city of Detroit determined that the parade would run in a circle around the roundabout which encircles Grand Circus Park and then back up Woodward to the original starting point. That effectively surrounded the entire Occupy Detroit encampment with veterans of all description, marching bands, Patriot Guard Riders, and so on.

I was told that the officials of the parade went down and negotiated with the Occupy Detroit group ahead of time. I don't know what was said, but apparently it took a couple of meetings to work things out. An agreement was reached that the parade would not be harassed.

I preceded the parade down Woodward to Grand Circus Park. When I got there, I found most of the tents were deserted. However, there were a number of Occupy Detroit members holding signs welcoming the veterans and even waving US flags. I found it touching and I was pleased to see it. I realize that Occupy Detroit is not one monolithic entity; they have veterans and those who appreciate veterans within their ranks. The following photos are from the 'encounter' between Occupy Detroit and the Detroit Veterans Day Parade.

IMGP4606a.jpeg by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4611a.jpeg by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4612a.jpeg by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4613a.jpeg by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4614.JPG by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4616.JPG by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4618a.jpeg by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4620a.jpeg by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4624.JPG by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4625a.jpeg by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4632a.jpeg by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4634.JPG by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4635.JPG by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4638.JPG by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4639.JPG by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4642.JPG by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4647.JPG by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4656.JPG by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4716.JPG by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

IMGP4723a.jpeg by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

The rest of my Veterans Day Parade photos are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wigwam/sets/72157628061503252/

Semper Fidelis!

Bill Mattocks
former Sgt, USMC (1979-1985)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
These pictures tell an interesting story.

Thank you.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I made a few observations along the way.

First, as always, the parade was poorly-attended. That's typical. It used to make me mad, now it just makes me sad. I wish more people actually went to a Veterans Day parade now and again.

Second. most of the people watching the parade whom I spoke to were either friends and family of those marching, or casual passers-by who didn't even know what sort of parade it was.

Third, the Occupy Detroit people were probably a third of the total number of participants just by themselves. So I'm grateful to them, which I did not think I would be. I expected there would be trouble. But I was rather pleasantly surprised, and I've modified my attitude about Occupy Detroit, if not the Occupy movement in general. They were not only respectful, they showed their support. Yay, them!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think we have become too complacent.
We rely on media to supply us with the story.
Hollywood for entertainment, Radio for music and let's not even touch the so called news.

Reality looks often so much different than the picture we take in 2nd or 3rd hand. Actually getting down to the subject is sometimes an eye opener.

Latest Discussions