Things that make you go HMMMM? Pt.2

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that a certain level of maturity and excellence of character should be indicative of a Black Belt practitioner.... but I also try to get it across to my students that that same high level of behavior starts at white belt.... it's just that it's more a prerequisite for Black in my eyes.
Ya don't have to be perfect, but you must be trying.

"One minute their all 'Please and thankyou', the next they'll kick you in the teeth!"

((a dollar to the one who identifies the scene of this more obscure Monty-Python line...))

Your Brother
John

do what john
do what john
with what
with whom and when???

OP
J

jdmills

After the post regarding maturity I can't help but ask:

"Where'd you get those coconuts?"

OP
T

twinkletoes

As my instructor used to say to beginners, "Training for black belt starts now." There is no point in waiting until you are a brown belt. Emulate the people you want to be like NOW. It doesn't even matter what you are trying to emulate: the way your instructor moves, the way a black belt acts, the way your friend deals with stress, etc. Don't spend white belt emulating yellow belts, then spend yellow belt emulating orange belts: that's the slow way. Start by trying to be like the black belts from day one.

Re: Loyalty. This is a tough one. Loyalty is important, but it should not limit growth. There is a balance to be struck between respect for superiors and loyalty to art and school, as well as freedom of expression and growth. I think that so far as the boundary of respect is maintained, loyalty is upheld.

And what is black belt behavior? Humility, from the realization that you are always learning, and you are always a student.

~TT

Latest Discussions