Things that are ridiculous in Martial Arts

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For real? People actually say that stuff?
I heard the cartilage thing at least twice in my training. I've heard some other claims I'm pretty sure are just parroting of something they heard someone say somewhere, and have no idea if any of it is accurate.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
With Judo, there's mostly just the one organization. BJJ so far is an outlier. They've managed to keep standards pretty consistent (so far as I've seen, anyway) even though there's not just a single organizational body.

With BJJ probably because the belt is universal.

You want to be an undeserved black belt fine but you will spend your life getting smashed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You want to be an undeserved black belt fine but you will spend your life getting smashed.
Probably also because of the limited number of ranks, which makes it a bit less nuanced, especially at the "early" ranks.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For real? People actually say that stuff?
Absolutely. I found one guy who framed the certificate he got from the police department when he registered his hands as deadly weapons... had it hanging on the wall for all to see when you walked in the door. (I only walked in that door once...)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Absolutely. I found one guy who framed the certificate he got from the police department when he registered his hands as deadly weapons... had it hanging on the wall for all to see when you walked in the door. (I only walked in that door once...)

We should start selling those bad boys!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Man, what a great way to raise money to support our LEOs! And why limit it to hands and feet? I’d like to register my dirty socks.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Man, what a great way to raise money to support our LEOs! And why limit it to hands and feet? I’d like to register my dirty socks.

I look at it this way, some of us are police, and everybody else knows somebody who's police.

So we're not conning anyone, they can register their hands with us. We can make a nifty certificate with Martial stuff on it, you know, dragons and cranes and fists and stuff. It could be epic.

Of course I'd want to run ads in the back of comics like Count Dante did.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I really want to get my hands registered as a leathal weapon.

Thinking like a firearms licence but for my fists.
ljfgz4rdribduk0i.jpg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
but the system is already a mockery
What the OP is saying is that the age and rank do not match.
Time to 1st Dan - 2-4 years
2nd Dan - 2-4 years
3rd Dan - 3-5 years
5th Dan 5-7 years
Minimum total - 12 years which would mean she would have to start at 6 years old. Doable but unlikely. She should be near the peak of her athletic abilities so your argument does not track.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What the OP is saying is that the age and rank do not match.
Time to 1st Dan - 2-4 years
2nd Dan - 2-4 years
3rd Dan - 3-5 years
5th Dan 5-7 years
Minimum total - 12 years which would mean she would have to start at 6 years old. Doable but unlikely. She should be near the peak of her athletic abilities so your argument does not track.
so are we saying she didn't start as a young child, or that's its unlikely she did
there seem a lot of young children in ma, so I'm not sure why you think it unlikely

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course it's a load of crap and everyone who genuinely does martial arts knows it. All it is is to promote themselves to the ignorant by going ooh hey look at our 18 year old 5th Dan. Frankly a lot of the higher black belts seem to be done for that very reason. An ego trip and makes you sound better when promoting your club
I own two clubs and do not promote for either. I have been in MA for 37 years and it has been a journey to get to the rank I am at. I have no problems wearing my belt. It has been for me and nobody else. Anyone who has put the time and effort in deserves whatever belt is rightfully due them.
The boxers mentioned didn't get to where they are because it was given to them. As long as a person has earned it I have no problem. As @Buka said, there are too many in sports of all venues that get moved up for nefarious reasons. It is up to the rest of the community to not let that taint the whole.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so are we saying she didn't start as a young child, or that's its unlikely she did
there seem a lot of young children in ma, so I'm not sure why you think it unlikely
Starting as a child is common. Getting to 5th Dan at any age is uncommon.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

But the same is true of KKW Taekwondo, and yet you have vastly different skillsets coming out of different schools. Some are more traditional self-defense focused, some have excellent forms, some are championship-worthy sparrers, others have great demonstration teams. Some have multiple or all of these things, and some are just rubbish.

Latest Discussions