the wonders of TKD

OP
T

thaiboxer

"I'll use myself as an example too: I run an ITF school BUT..... my Tae Kwon Do instructor took Kung Fu for eight years so the Tae Kwon Do he taught us was a mix hybrid, on top of that I train in Muay Thai, submission grappling, phillipino weapons and Jun Fan. "

how much MT have you done?

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Yes, in combat it is the person that makes who is doing the fighting that matter and not the style of martial art they studied. But you have to wonder when a style that is so limited in its natural weapons and has turned itself into a sport for the masses that gives away belts for good grades to children that need to spend a little time over someones knee more than they need a new game for their playstation. This almost ties directly in with the poll http://www.martialtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1338 about losing discipline to appeal to the masses.

TKD has seriously hurt the martial arts for realism and quality in the last 15 yrs or so. TKD has also really helped the martial arts be getting their act together and becoming an Olympic sport and thus exposing many people to the martial arts. Like so many things in the martial arts TKD appears to be a double edged sword, unfortunately the side that does good is becoming dull more often.

OP
D

Danny

Originally posted by Bagatha

Again, static flexibility will be of little use while kicking. But it looks great when your sitting on the floor. I disagree it should be a requirement.

I agree from a technical stand point. However putting in the time to stretch everyday, having the discipline and perseverance to get to your goal shows a much more important part of being a Black Belt then the technical aspects.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Thaiboxer, I've been in Thaiboxing for over a year now officially although I messed around with friends in Thai boxing for a while before that. I'm aiming for getting ready for some amateur fights but with running my own martial arts school it is hard to keep up the training necessary for that ... so we'll see if I actually follow through on that goal. I try to train Thai style an hour everyday but... as far as I'm concerned I should probably be training several hours a day to get in the ring for a match, only time I can really do that is during the summer so maybe thats what I'll aim for.

What about you?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD