The whole Facebook thing..is it for real?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I joined MySpace a little while back and just really not into it. Didn't use my real name and only got 2 friends (Thanks Pam and Bethany). I don't even log on anymore.

I joined Facebook a couple of days ago at the urging of a business friend. I use my real name and I now have 22 friends, only a couple of days later.
I'm getting contacted by people I currently know and people I haven't talked to in a couple of years. I don't even have my personal info filled out yet and photos attached.

I don't understand it, lol. But obviously using your real name let's people know your there. I don't know that I'll be active on it, too early to tell. But it's interesting.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For those who feel these sites help them keep in touch with friends and family members, how it is better than just sending an email? Or making a phone call?
heh..hear ya on the redundancy, but the nice thing about facebook..at least for me is that I now have a platform to contact multiple people at the same time, post pictures that only my accepted "freinds" can see, post a status or read a status about folks I care about...and search for folks that I went to school with, etc. It's basically a quick and easy networking tool in one place...you just have to keep in mind that what you post is public for all "freinds" to see. messages aren't, but it's really a convenience and time thing for me....it's not for eveyrone...and there are a lot of time wasters out there connected to facebook (aforementioned farmtown being one)

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
As to the question as to how it's different from calling or emailing someone - it's not really and those would be easier. However, it can also be more inviting. If someone posts a "status" that is interesting to me, it might prompt me to talk to them about it. I've had several interesting email or message exchanges because someone posted something that interested me. Found out an old student of mine frequents a place right by my house. Probably wouldn't have bothered necessarily finding/reaching out to him normally, but it'd be fun to swing by when he's up there and catch up some. Kind of a nice feature.

As for "real" friends - I haven't really made any friends on facebook that I didn't already know, but it has helped me reconnect or expand on friendships or contacts that had previously just sat. People can integrate quite heavily into if they get into, and it can provide a platform to broadcast your life in some ways, and let people tap into that who are interested.

I still don't get Twitter . . .

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I resisted signing on for a long time until my Condo Association set up a group. It makes it a lot easier to communicate, so I finally took the plunge. I avoided using it for several months because of all the idiotic apps, but it does come in handy. I serve on a Board of a couple groups and it's easier than playing phone or email tag.

I became a true believer tonight though. I had lost the contact info for a dear old friend several years ago and grieved ever hearing from him again. I found his name in the last city I saw him and gave it a try - it was him!! So it'll be a joyous e-reunion over the next few days as we catch up. I can't wait.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Myspace is a little trashy, but Facebook has a pretty good chat function.

I also use Facebook for work to put out the word for events. A lot of my friends figure out what weekend activities to do via Facebook posts.

My relatives keep in touch with me; and I feel closer to them now, than five years ago, when I didn't have a FB account.

Outside of my Mobwars addiction, I think it's pretty useful.