The Wheel Kick.

OP
T

twinkletoes

Wow, total terminology meltdown.

Our wheel kick is a lead leg roundhouse, without pivot. Snappy, quick, and delivered with the instep.

What is described here sounds like a variation on spinning back or spinning hook (depending on who's describing).

~TT

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
before deciding whether to move it.

Define "Wheel" as v. "Roundhouse".

Is it more the Muay Thai kick where the knee remains bent and the striking surface is anywhere from shin to top of foot, with the power deriving from the hip and follow though?

Or is it the TKD "Wheel" version coming from the back leg around on a horizontal plane, but with an extension of the leg as it strikes (not the fully commited Muay Thai version)?

Or the Kenpo "Roundhouse" coming through the middle then turning over, so it is indistinguishable from a front or knife-edge, when thrown with the back leg?

-Michael

Now see when I say "define" something or I define what I mean, some people get upset. How are we going to communicate without definitions. We can't just assume everybody knows and does the same thing, bcause they don't.

Beauty may be skin deep but, dumb is forever.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
How are we going to communicate without definitions. We can't just assume everybody knows and does the same thing, bcause they don't.

This I agree with:asian: . What I would have called the "wheel kick" isn't the same as what was discovered. Spinning hook kicks are good and should only be used under certain circumstances. However everyone unfortunately has slightly different terminology depending upon lineage/art and so forth.

Lately I've thought about starting up the technique of the week theme but after the last couple and how heated they got I was discouraged and didn't. The reason is because my tech. list on my computer words have been changed so I can follow exactly where I need to be. After years of refining my own stuff I realised that I should have copy/pasted a 2nd list and only changed one.:( . This again becomes a difference of opinion/methodology/terminology/association/lineage/instructor/student. :asian:

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had a version of the wheel kick in my Tang soo do days. It was basically a straight leg version of the spinning back kick, leading with the heal. Instead of chambering the leg, it comes from the floor position. Alot of power but telegraphic. Like the spinning back and hook it, has more effectiveness as a follow up technique.

Latest Discussions