The Warrior ar Servant

CityChicken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There is a term in the concealed weapon (handgun) community, 'sheepdog' that refers to people who are trained and willing to use force to protect themselves and their family. The key is that they see it as an obligation to serve thier families by using force if needed. It may apply here too for MA. They are not really warriors b/c they don't take orders, they act on their own based on their training.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a term in the concealed weapon (handgun) community, 'sheepdog' that refers to people who are trained and willing to use force to protect themselves and their family. The key is that they see it as an obligation to serve thier families by using force if needed. It may apply here too for MA. They are not really warriors b/c they don't take orders, they act on their own based on their training.

Whoever said warriors had to take orders? Those could be called "pawns" or "sheep" for that matter. They take orders.

I don't believe Warrior = Soldier, there are differences. However some soldiers can be warriors.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. IMO ones actions or training alone does not make a warrior. I think there is more to it. To see battle only on the battlefield is short sighted IMO. There are many wars to fight from the board-rooms to the bedrooms. To be successful in them requires a certain spirit. This spirit is what makes a warrior in my opinion.

Someone can have a warrior spirit and never in their lifetime see battle as most think of it.

To me, to talk about the warrior as someone trained for war and uses weapons is on par with talking about proper basic techniques and ignoring the more subtle universal principles of human physiology and tactics. I think it is simply a matter of perspective.
This is a very good point.
The under tones I feel in your posts are the fact that we don't necessarily live to fight another day or die physically for our beliefs, but perhaps die day to day to self. We all have selfless ways, but to be able to put aside the inner feelings for the sake of truly helping others could possible be this warrior you talk about.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Warriors are people engaged in the business of war. Plain and simple.
As for other qualities, these are just ideals of the particular culture or induvidual.

For instance i think american beer tastes like mudwater, but it is still beer even if it does not have the qualities i think good beer should have.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree a warrior is engaged in the business of war and involves themselves in combat but does this have to be physical war and physical combat?

A person who involves themselves in a great feat of mental combat, for instance someone who fights their way out of a problem and has the attitude for doing so rather than just letting things lie, to me is a warrior too.

Isn't warrior an attitude rather than a physical job?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree a warrior is engaged in the business of war and involves themselves in combat but does this have to be physical war and physical combat?

A person who involves themselves in a great feat of mental combat, for instance someone who fights their way out of a problem and has the attitude for doing so rather than just letting things lie, to me is a warrior too.

I think I`d call that person a fighter rather than a warrior. As someone else pointed out, you can have warrior attitude and still not be one.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes, Shaderon, I completely agree. And what about those involved in other non-battlefield wars, such as the 'war' on drugs, the 'war' on terrorism, or the 'war' on illiteracy? If war must adhere strictly to the narrow definition of physical fighting between two or more national armies, and so a warrior can only be someone involved in such a war, then we'd better stop using the words outside the context of large-scale military conflict between two political entities.

By the way, by this definition I was a warrior form 1971-1975, but then when my enlistment was up, suddenly was not. Yet I could argue that the truest warrior moments in my life were before and after that brief segment, vivid though it may be.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, Shaderon, I completely agree. And what about those involved in other non-battlefield wars, such as the 'war' on drugs, the 'war' on terrorism, or the 'war' on illiteracy? If war must adhere strictly to the narrow definition of physical fighting between two or more national armies, and so a warrior can only be someone involved in such a war, then we'd better stop using the words outside the context of large-scale military conflict between two political entities.

Perhaps we should. A `war` is not the same as a war.

By the way, by this definition I was a warrior form 1971-1975, but then when my enlistment was up, suddenly was not. Yet I could argue that the truest warrior moments in my life were before and after that brief segment, vivid though it may be.

Why would you suddenly stop being a warrior? The experience is still part of you.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would you suddenly stop being a warrior? The experience is still part of you.
Yes, my point exactly. One day I am, the next not?

I'm just saying there are shades of gray in this area of discussion; it's not necessarily all black/white, either/or, or as Shaderon said, physical/attitude. Instead of either/or, I see it as both/and.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone can be a warrior in their own eyes. If being seen by others as a warrior is important to you, you have to meet their expectations. To be a warrior officially, one must fit the official meaning.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warriors are people engaged in the business of war. Plain and simple.
As for other qualities, these are just ideals of the particular culture or induvidual.

For instance i think american beer tastes like mudwater, but it is still beer even if it does not have the qualities i think good beer should have.

I guess the name warrior has different meanings for all people. I can see different points of view but then my son is currently joining the US Army. I hope the hell he kicks a_ _ because if he don't or can't then all the touchy feely is all bull sh_ _.

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
Going full circle with the word.... the word is over used. The idea is not black and white but it is not what people use it for. Stay with me for a second. Every cop is not a warrior. Some cops are "bad". They are not what one thinks of as a warrior. Everyone remember the "bad" teacher you had in school? That teacher was not what you think of when you think of a teacher, right? Now take a look at your mental idea of a warrior........ not everyone fits the idea do they?

Warriors do have traits. Everyone has an idea of these traits. What happens is people want to beleive they or others they know are like these traits. So folks water the idea down to include themself or others into the idea. Remember your "bad" teacher? That person called themself a teacher.

Working through a difficult time does not make you a warrior. It makes you a human being who worked through a bad time.

Latest Discussions