The Value of the Secret

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taken from a side-topic on another thread...

Consider the ancient mystery cults. In many ways, they resemble some aspects of modern-day martial arts cultures, particularly those that purport to teach 'secret' arts or methods to initiates.

The questions being asked of today's 'secret keepers' are these. First, is the information really secret? And second, if it is, should it be kept that way?

To answer the first question, one simply has to consider the nature of a secret. A secret to you is something you do not know. It can be hidden, or it can be in plain sight. If you cannot discern it, it is a secret. That's pretty basic.

People tend to want to think that if something is secret, that means someone is hiding it from you. But no, it's still a secret if no one is hiding it from you, it just so happens you cannot see it. You cannot see a germ with your naked eye; the bugs which crawl on our skin are invisble to us; secret. Even though we know they are there, we cannot discern them, we cannot track them, we cannot point them out. But given the appropriate information, and the appropriate tools, we can indeed see them. They were there all along, no one hid them from us; in fact, we're told about them daily by one doctor or another on TV. But be that as it may, we could not see them, they were secrets from us.

To the second question, should secret information be kept that way, I would ask the reader to take a look at the ancient mystery cults.

Mystery cults have existed for tens of thousands of years. Certainly as far back as recorded time, and perhaps as long as man has existed in societies. They enabled man to feel a sense of the religious or the sacred, in a more intimate and personal way that typical organized religions did not allow for. They were for the special, the intelligent, the chosen ones. To be offered an initiation into a mystery cult was a distinct honor, a privilege; it marked one as being not just different than most people, but above them in many ways. This was reinforced by the notion that you had to be invited in, that you were being made a part of something special, something that not everyone could become a member of, even assuming they knew it existed.

By becoming an initiate in a mystery cult, one was already participating in a secret of sorts; they were aware of the group to which they belonged, but the average person was not. In some cases, even family members and friends and relatives were not permitted to know. Only other members knew each other, and they enjoyed the comradeship of knowing and recognizing each other; the satisfaction of mutual recognition of each other as special, unique, different, and apart. And that's just the feeling one got from belonging to such a cult, let alone whatever 'secrets' it might impart as part of their mystic beliefs!

Please take a moment and consider the paragraph above; see if you cannot see some parallels between the ancient mystery cults and the modern-day martial arts training center; or even a discussion forum such as this one. I think you may see some resemblance!

In the ancient mystery cults, there were generally two types of secrets. The first were overt secrets. These were truths, which one could speak of freely. They were secrets in the same sense as not being able to see a germ on your skin; you could tell anyone about them, and they might well believe you; but they could not 'see' the secret (grasp the meaning) and hence, it was still a secret to them. Only the initiated possessed the tools (knowledge, wisdom, or experience) to grasp the meaning of the secret imparted. They could not only speak of it, they could manipulate it. Anyone can repeat words in Latin if they wish. But unless they speak Latin, it's just noise. The initiate not only repeated the words, but had been trained to know what those words meant. The secret was revealed not by revealing the secret itself, but by revealing the means to make use of it.

The second type of secret was a covert secret. A covert secret was hidden knowledge or information. This was forbidden to be given to outsiders, usually by taking an oath; generally one involving pain and death if it was revealed. A covert secret was information that was immediately useful as soon as it was revealed; it took no special knowledge or understanding to put it to use once one was introduced to it. A covert secret was not unlike a hand grenade; once a person knows where it is hidden, anyone who wants to can pull the pin and unleash great devastation.

I am intentionally not commenting upon the veracity of the 'secrets' taught by the mystery cults to their initiates. Whether their overt and covert secrets had any value, meaning, or truth to them at all does not matter to our discussion. They point is that they existed.

Mystery cults were able to persevere for many centuries because they were exclusive. Because they gave their members a feeling of belonging to something special. Because their members felt the need to pass on what they had learned, but only to a worthy few. And they survived attempts to sell their secrets out or betray them because their overt secrets could be given out at will; none but an initiate would be able to understand them anyway: and their covert secrets were often so outlandish that the treacherous former members could be made to seem insane; or quietly taken aside and strangled, as the case may have been.

Now consider the martial arts.

We have overt secrets. These are the secrets that hide in plain sight. Most of martial arts consists of blocks, kicks, and punches. One might even argue that there are only so many ways to deliver them, and what's all the fuss about? One can buy books and DVDs and listen to experts talk and so on...and still not learn the 'secrets'. The reason for that is the same as it was in the days of the Mystery Cults; because an overt secret is simply not understood by anyone who does not possess the training, experience, or insight to grasp the secret and put it to practical use.

When I speak of my instructor demonstrating bunkai (practical application) of a particular move, such as simple middle-body block, this is what I am referring to. He shows me this information freely; he could put it in a book or on a DVD if he wished. Yet it is still secret; it's an overt secret. That's because even with me standing a foot away from him and trying with all my ability to emulate his move that I've just seen done half a dozen times, I cannot make it work. Yet. But as I grow and learn and mature, experience will guide me until I can make it work, intuitively. That is the secret revealed. That is 'secret' knowledge. It was never hidden, I just could not use it.

There is also covert secret knowlege in martial arts. These are the traditions that teach methods and weapons and other practices that they are sworn to silence about; things which are not revealed to those who are not members of the group. Presumably, the reasons for this secrecy are the same as they were in the days of the Mystery Cults; that the knowledge is so dangerous, that it would be immediately useful by anyone to whom it was revealed. And again, I will not comment upon how true or false the fact of the secrets may be; I am not privy to them and so I cannot judge what I do not know.

Yes, I think the modern world of martial arts has much in common with the ancient Mystery Cults. We are apart, different, and unique in a world of very common everyday people. That's not to say we're better, but we are apart, and that makes us special (even if we only feel special). We have skills that we can call upon at will (to a greater or lesser extent), which the ordinary person does not possess; and yet we are invisible to them. We don't wear a giant red "S" on our chests or prance about in capes (well, not most of us...). We blend in, and yet we are practitioners of controlled violence in a society in which only the law-breakers understand and use violence; the decent ordinary people like ourselves typically eschew it. Aside from our secret, we are just like everyone else; we have political beliefs and we mow our lawns and have jobs and pay taxes and drink beer and so on. We're invisible. In fact...we are the overt secret to some extent.

Are there secrets in martial arts? Sure! We're the secrets. Our techniques, even those sold on DVD and seen in movies, are secrets. And some few of us belong to organizations which even practice the more hidden of secrets.

And what is the value of the secret? It binds us together. We're members of a society that values each other's company. And places like Martial Talk are proof of that.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill, nice insight, I was always taught that the only secret to martial arts was time and hard work. Couple that with proper direction and the secrets will reveal themselves, in due time. When it appears that some of us have more secrets then others, it just means that they are further along on this journey. This philosophy is the same as in life, hell my parents taught me many things as I was growing up, secrets, no, I was just to young to grasp just what they were getting at. I remember telling my kids while they were growing up, to choose wisely, because everything has consequences". Did they listen, yes, did they apply it, no, but it planted a seed. I started late in life so I have no grandkids, but I can't wait to see all those secrets reveal themselves, as my kids raise their kids.
icon7.gif
Between our two posts some will say (1) two old guys just talking, but the secret is, there is just one. (2) I hear what your saying. (3) some will lurk and move on, but maybe they got something from it. (4) We filled some space. Now it's on to my second cup of coffee, no secret there, we all know what that does for us early in the morning.
icon7.gif

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting thread, Bill.

I think we need to consider the purpose of keeping a secret. When I consider that, I come up with two general categories.

1. Secret provides advantage.
2. Secret conceals disadvantage.

Secret could provide an advantage and conceal a disadvantage. There might be more categories, but for right now, the secrets that you addressed above classify themselves as such, IMO.

That said, returning to your original questions.

First, is the information really secret? And second, if it is, should it be kept that way?

I think it depends on the nature of the secret, the power of the group keeping the secret, and the ultimate import of the secret information.

For example, if the nature of a secret compromises the group keeping it in some way that would seriously harm all of them, keeping the secret is kind of like mutually assured destruction. People on the inside aren't going to nuke themselves by opening their mouths. Revealing those secrets takes diligent detective work by people on the outside as the peer at the evidence left behind by the secret keepers.

As the advantage or disadvantage becomes less and less important, keeping the secret becomes less and less important. When it comes to many "secret societies" a lot of the information about those are out there. Even information people "vowed" to keep upon pain of death. The reason why is because the information doesn't give a person an advantage or conceal a real disadvantage any more. The underlying reason for keeping a secret has been compromised.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As the advantage or disadvantage becomes less and less important, keeping the secret becomes less and less important. When it comes to many "secret societies" a lot of the information about those are out there. Even information people "vowed" to keep upon pain of death. The reason why is because the information doesn't give a person an advantage or conceal a real disadvantage any more. The underlying reason for keeping a secret has been compromised.

People find it hard to believe that a secret can be openly known and still be a secret. Some information is openly available; some may think the secret has been revealed and is thus no longer a secret. Others may think the secret has been shown to be valueless now that it is revealed.

But if the secret is openly revealed, people stop looking for it. And for those who cannot understand more than the surface value of that secret, it is both revealed and worthless now.

And yet, a secret, even an open secret, can still have hidden meaning. Like the chambers of a nautilus, the secret is given freely, and a meaning for it, to the initiate. To the adept, more information is given about that same secret. To the master, even more. Furthermore, masters may believe they have risen to the highest level of the organization; they may or may not be right. At each level, there is misdirection, obfuscation, and new meanings for old secrets.

So when we think of a secret once held by a secret society being exposed and explained, don't be so sure.

The Cabbalists, the Assassins, the Thugee, Templars, the Vehm, Rosicrucians, Illuminati, Freemasons, Skopzi, Camorristi, Carbonari, Fenians and so on all understood how keep a secret by giving it away.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People find it hard to believe that a secret can be openly known and still be a secret. Some information is openly available; some may think the secret has been revealed and is thus no longer a secret. Others may think the secret has been shown to be valueless now that it is revealed.

But if the secret is openly revealed, people stop looking for it. And for those who cannot understand more than the surface value of that secret, it is both revealed and worthless now.

I disagree. I think when a secret is openly revealed, or even in plain view, people may realize that they have already found it, or they seek other ways of finding it.

So when we think of a secret once held by a secret society being exposed and explained, don't be so sure.

The Cabbalists, the Assassins, the Thugee, Templars, the Vehm, Rosicrucians, Illuminati, Freemasons, Skopzi, Camorristi, Carbonari, Fenians and so on all understood how keep a secret by giving it away.

And all of whom enjoyed their heyday at a time when the world arond them had fewer critical thinkers. Secrets depend not just on the secret-keeper, but also on maintaining the ignorance of others (in a good way or a bad way).

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I disagree. I think when a secret is openly revealed, or even in plain view, people may realize that they have already found it, or they seek other ways of finding it.

If I tell you as an initiate of the secret of the Ivan Skavinsky Skavar Society is that enriched white flour is the devil, if you believe I have indeed revealed the secret, you will stop searching for the secret of the ISSS. It may turn out that White Flour Is The Devil stands for WFITD, or World For Italian Domination. You knew the secret, but you didn't know the secret it contained.

And all of whom enjoyed their heyday at a time when the world arond them had fewer critical thinkers. Secrets depend not just on the secret-keeper, but also on maintaining the ignorance of others (in a good way or a bad way).

Ignorance is more than just a lack of understanding. A person can be given a secret and the explanation of that secret, but be unable to apply it; it remains a secret even if they don't think so. A simple MA explanation is when a student is taught a move that they see, understand, and cannot apply, despite demonstration and practice. They just do not get the secret. However, given time and experience, they will. Then the secret will be revealed; even if they were told the secret and even shown it repeatedly along the way. Ignorance is not just failure to understand, but also failure to be able to utilize.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Great topic/thread, and am reading with interest.

Of course, you understand I can't contribute...it's a secret! ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I tell you as an initiate of the secret of the Ivan Skavinsky Skavar Society is that enriched white flour is the devil, if you believe I have indeed revealed the secret, you will stop searching for the secret of the ISSS. It may turn out that White Flour Is The Devil stands for WFITD, or World For Italian Domination. You knew the secret, but you didn't know the secret it contained.

But if my analytical skills, intellectual curiosity, outweigh my belief, then I do not stop searching. Particularly if I feel that the ISSS is a bit more than a bunch of angry Celiacs :lfao:

Ignorance is not just failure to understand, but also failure to be able to utilize.

On this point, I fully agree. :asian:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, how long can a secret be kept? Can a large group, like a secret society or some other group, actually keep a secret?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, how long can a secret be kept? Can a large group, like a secret society or some other group, actually keep a secret?

Forever, it would seem. How many of the 'secrets' of martial arts are in plain sight, and yet cannot be put to use by those who read about them, see them on a video, take limited instructions, or learn from those who themselves never grasped the secrets?

When I read on MT the thoughts of those who believe that there is no difference between two years spent learning a given MA skill and thirty or forty years spent learning those same skills, I know that the secrets are still safely kept. Still hidden in plain view, still invisible to those who do not possess the ability to 'see' them.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forever, it would seem. How many of the 'secrets' of martial arts are in plain sight, and yet cannot be put to use by those who read about them, see them on a video, take limited instructions, or learn from those who themselves never grasped the secrets?

When I read on MT the thoughts of those who believe that there is no difference between two years spent learning a given MA skill and thirty or forty years spent learning those same skills, I know that the secrets are still safely kept. Still hidden in plain view, still invisible to those who do not possess the ability to 'see' them.

I dunno. I think its a stretch to use secret for something that isn't immediately obvious.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/secret

In addition, the term "secret" in martial arts IMO has been already been abused. Can't say for around the world but here in the states some MA "masters" have used the term "secrets" as an excuse to over-emphasize (or outright lie about) everything from an unprovable history to an excuse for unreasonable domineering over a student.

So, not a POV I subscribe to, but that's just me. :)

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno. I think its a stretch to use secret for something that isn't immediately obvious.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/secret

All of the definitions given in your link fit. If I hide behind a tree, my presence is secret. If I am in plain view and you cannot see me because I have have distracted you or disguised myself, my presence is still secret. If I misdirect you by telling you that where I am, but you choose to believe I am someone else, my presence is still secret. Secret means hidden; it does not have to be concealed.

In addition, the term "secret" in martial arts IMO has been already been abused. Can't say for around the world but here in the states some MA "masters" have used the term "secrets" as an excuse to over-emphasize (or outright lie about) everything from an unprovable history to an excuse for unreasonable domineering over a student.

I absolutely agree.

So, not a POV I subscribe to, but that's just me. :)

I am attempting to explain why the word 'secret' is entirely appropriate to teachings that are openly revealed and yet still secret because they are not understood, or are incapable of being applied, by most.

Your definition of the word is traditional and correct, but it is not the only correct definition; even your dictionary entry states it clearly:

"...kept from knowledge or view..." Just because you are shown a technique does not mean you can apply it. I can't, anyway; not without a lot of practice. It is in view; yet it remains secret. Until I absorb the knowledge by being able to apply it, it might just as well be locked in a vault or kept hidden by a mystical master; it amounts to the same thing.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great post Bill.
There are indeed a lot of open secrets in my art. Most of them probably.
For example, the secret to perform a rolling jump from any position, in any direction, without using hands. The sensei shows openly how to do this during the various training sessions. Yet despite being shown, my first attempts at the more awkward rolls ended with a face plant.

I've spent many hours practising, even renting the dojo on days when there was no class and then practising rolls for hours. After much trying, something just 'clicked' and I suddenly understood how to do it. Yet it is not a secret can explain. I can show it to another student and try to explain, but the only way for the other to learn is to practise and find their own understanding.

I've seen my head sensei perform a roll, and there is something that is missing from both me and my sensei's technique. His rolls are like a wave in the ocean: without visible beginning and end, perfectly smooth, and without sudden bumps or sounds.

Many of the secrets in ninpo are not about techniques but 'why' things are done a certain way. Nothing is done without a reason, from deciding which hand to move first when bowing, to the position of a foot in a stance. Without knowing the 'why' you can practise all you want, but you won't be able to use it to its fullest: when it is appropriate and when not.

I read in an interview that Hatsumi sensei said that near his death, Takamatsu sensei gave him the final, most secret kuden (oral teachings). However, he didn't understand them and did not recognize their value. It was only after many more years of practise that he came to understand the real value of those kuden, even though he had already received the full transmission of the technical part of the systems.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh. I typed a long response that got eaten, although I did save it to notepad first. After a second look, I think the points I brought up are perhaps best addressed in a thread of their own.

Ultimately though...I can see more of where you are coming from now, and I agree. I could say "The secret to Manny Pacquiao's success in the ring is his FMA-style triangle footwork."

This may be an open secret, I'm sure his opponents know it too, and I'd wager that his Filipino opponents in particular may be proficient to a degree as well.

However, knowing that is the "secret" is not the same as being able to do it as well as Manny can, or even being able to defend against his punches, even though you know he is going to catch you off guard.

Another example would be if I said "One of my secrets to getting along with people is finding common ground", that would not surprise anyone, and is probably considered to be good (n)etiquette.

But, if I told someone flat out "Hey, I'm gonna tell you a bunch of things about my life so can see if there is some commonality at which we can build a conversation, and vice-versa?" , then that that person might look at me like I have rocks in my head. :D