Privacy lost - doesn't anybody care anymore?

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
true. problem is we have given up our own responsibilities in favor of dependence on others. We should be monitoring our childrens internet actions and reporting suspicious activity to the cops.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody is concerned about their privacy untill their child is mollested by an internet predator or a plane flys into their loved ones building. Then its the gvts fault for not tracking or spying on THOSE guys. You want the gvt to stop, simple, stop bitching that they arent doing enough to spy on the people we want them to spy on.

That assumes that the government is even doing its job correctly. My understanding of the 9/11 hijackers is most of them were actually in the country legally by the letter or the law or at least intially got into the country legally. What good is a database to track sex offenders when so many of them don't bother to register in the first place? What good is a list that tells you who the terrorists are if the people using the list are harassing 4 year old kids with the same name because there isn't enough information to tell the difference? Talk to me about giving up my privacy when the measures that are currently put in place are properly enforced and used...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have lost hope in most. Most people are very complacent. I enjoy making it very hard for "them" to get to my data (useless or not). I will employ all forms of encryption I can get my hands on. I do like Public Key Encryption for Outlook emails. I also like like this product for storing data on my hard drive

SafeHouse

Of course it doesn't eliminate the threat of spying, but it sure will make life harder for them. The more road blocks you can put up the harder they have to work. I find great satisfaction with that. :D

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually, no, nobody cares. I tried to care, but nobody cared.

In the past 10 months, data has been stolen from the Veteran's Administration (including private information on our current troops), the Long Island Railroad, the New York City Department of Health, and numerous private companies. The announcement usually reads:

"A laptop computer containing financial information on [number] of employees from a [car/unlocked office/employee's home]"

as if it's normal to keep personal financial information on thousands or millions of Americans on an unsecured laptop.

Since I worked for one of those entities, and since MY financial data was stolen along with one of those laptop computers, I found this very disturbing. I collected the information every time I heard about data theft, and then I sent it to several reporters. They didn't care.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well think about this...

The FBI's top hackers apparently have been unable to break through Joseph Edward Duncan III's security encryptions, and a plea bargain Duncan's lawyers struck Monday with state prosecutors says the key must only be shared with his defense lawyer.
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061018/ap_on_re_us/duncan_slayings_2

Security tools and technologies are out there to make it extremely difficult for anyone to compromise data as the above news article points out. I didn't post the article to discuss the crime, but the fact that a person can secure their system enough that it is extremely difficult for even the experts to crack.

Latest Discussions