The Type of Men they are.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
R

rmcrobertson

That has absolutely zip to do with anything I wrote, or anything anybody else wrote on this thread, and you know it.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know no such thing. All I see is "I DONT NEED TO BE CONSTANTLY REMINDED". Fine, bye....

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace:
I know no such thing. All I see is "I DONT NEED TO BE CONSTANTLY REMINDED". Fine, bye....

Not Tgace:
I wouldn't be suprised if a few choice individuals who frequent this board will have less than venerating coments about them though.

With inflamatory rhetoric like this popping up three posts after the pictures on page one, it's hard to be surprised that countercommentary related to the comment, and unrelated to the sarifice of the marines arose.

To be expected when words are put onto the mouths of others.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im just responding to what was stated (he typed that not me). The other quote wasnt mine so I cant answer for it.....he was proven right though wasnt he?

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya know,I have spent a very large portion of my life around the military and even did a stint myself.

Some of the people that I met and known in the past who DID seve,were not all "patriotic",in the general sense.
But almost all of them did have one common thread....
Now this example may torque some people a bit,but think before you react...please.
Some of these people had the attitude of the french foriegn legionaires.
The legion is NOT the fench army.They do NOT fight for france......THEY fight for each other.

Regardless of what country they represent....once you get into battle,the guys with you litterally become "you comrades at arms".
They ALL become "legionares".
When that first bullet whizzes past your head,or THROUGH your buddies head,you have a tendancy to forget all the "patriotic" stuff you pledged too at the MEPS station back in "podunk,ohio"(and I am from ohio!) and suddenly,you find yourself fighting to get your brothers back home safely and they are doing the same for you.
And right now...no,these people are NOT fighting for america,they are fighting for the "freedom" of the iraqi people.Americans are already free.
So when is all said and done.....
In the heat of battle,its not about "patiotism" as we see it,its about the guy to your left and the guy to your right.Not an ideal.THIS is real.
They fight for each other and all they ask for in return is to drink a beer with the guys who saved thier lives....and to drink a beer for the ones who didn't make it back.
Why?
Because thats what a soldier does.
Thats thier "patiotism".
Thier "legion of brothers".

:asian:

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Truth

People join for different reasons than they fight, or sacrifice their lives. That letter from the Vietnam Vet Marine a page or so back illustrates that perfectly.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
That has absolutely zip to do with anything I wrote, or anything anybody else wrote on this thread, and you know it.

actually, nothing you wrote has anything to do with the topic of this thread, and you know it. take your slanted politics elsewhere.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with expressing respect for the men's courage and anger/outrage at how it is being put to use. I'm not going to separate these emotions and post a lie to conform to someones version of reality. The above post is a perfect example of the demand for self-censorship that I was talking about earlier. I'm sorry, but you just can't make someone feel the same way about this issue as you might feel.

The bottom line is that a lot of people are very angry about this and if that anger somehow disturbs the purity of the sentiment, then it probably wasn't that pure to begin with. And it never can be "pure" in the sense that one can make people's anger about this war "go away".

For some, those pictures are showing good brave men dying needlessly. Even if you disagree, you have to at least be able to see the sincerity of this anger?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to say i resoect the people in our armed services. Remember it is a volunteer section-for now. They have a job to do, that I dont know if I can do it.

Best wishes upon them.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I may... I have been watching this thread and it is a bit heated.

The issue I see here, although it is not being articulated 100% clearly, I think the point is visible if you look...

This thread was started to "showcase" the valor of our fighting men and women, but quickly it was picked up on and used as an additional platform for the people who so venomously oppose the President and his War that they will use any reference to it as an excuse to speak out about their political adgenda against him, which in turn, caused the people who rally around his banner to respond in kind... turning this thread into another useles debate about "who's opinion is right".

I think that in the case of a thread designed to Honor the Fighting Men and Women who do their job, the thread SHOULD be left at that.

There is nothing wrong with expressing your opinion AGAINST the war... but do it in the correct threads. Think how you would feel, if you started a thread about, say a beloved martial arts instructor who died, and instead of respectful comments some joker came in and said "Its a shame he died, but he shouldnt have been teaching anyhow..." Please bear in mind that many of the people making these posts are Ex Military themselves and feel a great deal of Pride and Companionship with these soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen who are there every day, even tho they do not know them personally... so it is a very personal issue to them, and not the right place to wave your banner and scream. Its like that picture floating around the Net of the guy standing at the back of the womens rights rally with the sign that says something like "*****, go make me a sandwitch"... it doesnt belong there.

On that note, I am gonna be late for class this morning if I dont leave in the next 2 minutes.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
If I may... I have been watching this thread and it is a bit heated.

The issue I see here, although it is not being articulated 100% clearly, I think the point is visible if you look...

This thread was started to "showcase" the valor of our fighting men and women, but quickly it was picked up on and used as an additional platform for the people who so venomously oppose the President and his War that they will use any reference to it as an excuse to speak out about their political adgenda against him, which in turn, caused the people who rally around his banner to respond in kind... turning this thread into another useles debate about "who's opinion is right".

I think that in the case of a thread designed to Honor the Fighting Men and Women who do their job, the thread SHOULD be left at that.

There is nothing wrong with expressing your opinion AGAINST the war... but do it in the correct threads. Think how you would feel, if you started a thread about, say a beloved martial arts instructor who died, and instead of respectful comments some joker came in and said "Its a shame he died, but he shouldnt have been teaching anyhow..." Please bear in mind that many of the people making these posts are Ex Military themselves and feel a great deal of Pride and Companionship with these soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen who are there every day, even tho they do not know them personally... so it is a very personal issue to them, and not the right place to wave your banner and scream. Its like that picture floating around the Net of the guy standing at the back of the womens rights rally with the sign that says something like "*****, go make me a sandwitch"... it doesnt belong there.

On that note, I am gonna be late for class this morning if I dont leave in the next 2 minutes.
Instead of 5 Stars...I give you..:asian::asian::asian::asian::asian:

R

rmcrobertson

Actually--and the point was made by someone else on this page--the thread did NOT start out as a simple tribute. It started out when posters a) posted pictures, b) threw in a coupla slams on anybody who might possibly perhaps fall short of jumping up to salute the United States of Rush Limbaugh fast enough for their taste, c) some of us were dumb enough to respond.

After that, it turned into the usual attempts at bullying. I dislike bullying.

I suggest a little less worrying about what type of men THEY are--they seem to be doin' just fine--and a little more worrying about what type of men WE are.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Actually--and the point was made by someone else on this page--the thread did NOT start out as a simple tribute. It started out when posters a) posted pictures, b) threw in a coupla slams on anybody who might possibly perhaps fall short of jumping up to salute the United States of Rush Limbaugh fast enough for their taste, c) some of us were dumb enough to respond.

I suggest a little less worrying about what type of men THEY are--they seem to be doin' just fine--and a little more worrying about what type of men WE are.
We are the type who worry about the type that have more sake of worry. I mean, i would want people to be concerened about my status in a place where the chances are death are so great.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:

Uh huh, sure.

I suggest you go back and read post number... Uh, oh yeah, TWO... where the poster used the initial post as an excuse to voice his political opposition to the war, and his subsequent follow up post in response to the question of "you just had to do that" with an affirmative before you open your mouth and claim its all about Rush Limbaugh

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Uh huh, sure.

I suggest you go back and read post number... Uh, oh yeah, TWO... where the poster used the initial post as an excuse to voice his political opposition to the war, and his subsequent follow up post in response to the question of "you just had to do that" with an affirmative before you open your mouth and claim its all about Rush Limbaugh
If this thread is a about simple respect for brave men who died, perhaps the Study is the wrong place for it.

However, I believe that expressing your honor and patriotism without being angry at the situation in which these men are involved could be construed as a political statement. Think tacit agreement.

The road goes both ways.

R

rmcrobertson

1. I took "post # 2," as a simple remark about the choices that have to be made in wartime. Why did you leap to take it as anything else?

2. And I suggest that YOU go back and read the post immediately following it, which dragged everything out of a general and political arena into the arena of the personal.

3. Why not simply consider considering what sort of men WE are, since--as I noted--those Marines seem to be doing just fine?

4. It's difficult to open one's mouth on the Internet.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Doing just Fine"? Theyre dying in service to our country. And some people dont want to be "reminded" of it...:shrug:

Attachments

• $Injured%20but%20alive.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 127

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tgace said:
"Doing just Fine"? Theyre dying in service to our country. And some people dont want to be "reminded" of it...:shrug:
I am "constantly" reminded and it doesn't make me any less angry about the situation these marines are in.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
1. I took "post # 2," as a simple remark about the choices that have to be made in wartime. Why did you leap to take it as anything else?
I didn't. Someone Else did, and Random Phantom confirmed that he was correct. So as much as you would like to argue ANYTHING to the contrary, you would be WRONG.

rmcrobertson said:
2. And I suggest that YOU go back and read the post immediately following it, which dragged everything out of a general and political arena into the arena of the personal.
I agree, but that is NOT where it started to go off track.

rmcrobertson said:
3. Why not simply consider considering what sort of men WE are, since--as I noted--those Marines seem to be doing just fine?
I have considered what kind of man YOU are, but unfortunatly I cannot post about that here any longer. I got a great laugh out of your MA videoclip tho.

As far as what kind of man I am, Ive considered that at length as well, and all I can say is that while I have a lot of room for improvement, I could have turned out a hell of a lot worse.

rmcrobertson said:
4. It's difficult to open one's mouth on the Internet.
Smartass. You know exactly what I meant.

Latest Discussions