The Twelve (Sometimes Ten) Sounds of the Southern Shaolin Iron Wire

OP
Oily Dragon

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen it done by a long time student of Sifu Woo around 2003. It was late in the evening after more than 6 hours of training. I didn’t absorb as much as I would have hoped.
Some kung fu schools out there have mutated the "fist" set quite a bit. I don't even want to post those videos here, lest they be promoted in the AI. Best to stick to the path. If it has 12 bridges, and the right animal/element energies, it's probably legit.

My Friday Iron Wire anecdote is that I noticed a big difference in the sounds when a training ring is added. I'm at 5 rings per arm (all I can seem to afford on brass rings, they are not cheap). I sometimes do the form early in the day without rings, later on when I'm feeling pressured or whatever, 10 rings.

AT 10 rings, it's almost as if breathing is more regulated than with none. That's about 10-12 lbs per arm. And I do this form really, really slow, otherwise it's tough to do the sounds properly or monitor your body. It's easy to hurt yourself.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some kung fu schools out there have mutated the "fist" set quite a bit. I don't even want to post those videos here, lest they be promoted in the AI. Best to stick to the path. If it has 12 bridges, and the right animal/element energies, it's probably legit.

My Friday Iron Wire anecdote is that I noticed a big difference in the sounds when a training ring is added. I'm at 5 rings per arm (all I can seem to afford on brass rings, they are not cheap). I sometimes do the form early in the day without rings, later on when I'm feeling pressured or whatever, 10 rings.

AT 10 rings, it's almost as if breathing is more regulated than with none. That's about 10-12 lbs per arm. And I do this form really, really slow, otherwise it's tough to do the sounds properly or monitor your body. It's easy to hurt yourself.
I too wear 5 rings on each. I don’t love the sound or the hair being ripped off my arms but oh well. I shoot flat punches with them on. it definitely changes everything and I tend to be a little more rooted when using them. I feel like maybe I’m just paying a little more attention to my form when I use the rings.

OP
Oily Dragon

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I too wear 5 rings on each. I don’t love the sound or the hair being ripped off my arms but oh well. I shoot flat punches with them on. it definitely changes everything and I tend to be a little more rooted when using them. I feel like maybe I’m just paying a little more attention to my form when I use the rings.
The greatest Iron Wire skill is to make as little noise with the rings as possible.

It's so Buddhist.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nevermind
You know this guy too well and too personally. I know his kids and ex ex wife, and their kids (and his secrete lover). Lol He usually appears very friendly, humble and thrustful, but once venture outside his his worshiper circle, thing get pretty ugly. His is businessman and that only skill I can give him.

By the way I got his instructor certificate and CZL lineage. I even taught for him. First two things are most useless. Lol

But I glad we rift apart (curtesy Jesse) I even inherited some his students, and found out he even more BS man I thought. Lol

Just remember one thing about Jesse, he only nice to you when you $$$, you kiss his *** and when your skills are mediocre. As soon as you represent threat to his highness you will be booted :)

P. S. Also I noticed he mentioned Chen Yu in his credential now ! Lol I’m the one who brought CY to his attention and asked him to invite him over US. He talked to CY on the phone in front of me . That as much skills he got from him is phone conversation lol

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know this guy too well and too personally. I know his kids and ex ex wife, and their kids (and his secrete lover). Lol He usually appears very friendly, humble and thrustful, but once venture outside his his worshiper circle, thing get pretty ugly. His is businessman and that only skill I can give him.

By the way I got his instructor certificate and CZL lineage. I even taught for him. First two things are most useless. Lol

But I glad we rift apart (curtesy Jesse) I even inherited some his students, and found out he even more BS man I thought. Lol

Just remember one thing about Jesse, he only nice to you when you $$$, you kiss his *** and when your skills are mediocre. As soon as you represent threat to his highness you will be booted :)

P. S. Also I noticed he mentioned Chen Yu in his credential now ! Lol I’m the one who brought CY to his attention and asked him to invite him over US. He talked to CY on the phone in front of me . That as much skills he got from him is phone conversation lol

Nah, just did not want to get into it on MT that day, or any day these days. I do better stepping away and forgetting about things. Thanks for the info. I do not feel his Sun style, that he calls traditional, is traditional, and he likes to add kicks in forms that are not originally there for purposes of athleticism, and he is big on distance learning which I am not. I also know one of his "Distance learning teacher" teaching in my are and I am not impressed. I did enjoy the 2 seminars I went to of his, they were entertaining, and he was a nice guy to talk to, but I would not substitute him for my Yang Shifu. He also was not a fan of Xingyiquan and that right there is a MAJOR detractor for me ;)

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's worth noting there are no kicks at all in the Iron Wire, in fact the most traditional methods neither foot ever leaves the ground, it's all shuffle steps, and there's a very specific reason for this constant rooting. It ties to the sounds because a lot of them are natural sounds made when doing things like tensing the core or forcing breaths, sinking weight, but in the system they are exaggerated.

How exaggerated depends on who and how the form is displayed. Some dudes like Chiu Chi Ling are famous for being a little goofy loud when doing certain Iron Wire sounds like Fu How Loong Yam (Tiger Roars, Dragon Howls). He's almost laughing.

Gordon Liu was completely over the top in 36th Chamber of Shaolin, but that's understandable, it was a kung fu movie intro montage.
Maybe that is some connection to the emphasis Sifu Woo placed on rooting, the breath riding the motion, and so on. We have digitizing the original interview tapes from Nei Jia Quan. Perhaps, he may have mentioned significant names. I will get back to you on this. In the mean time please continue with the iron thread. Thanks again.

OP
Oily Dragon

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe that is some connection to the emphasis Sifu Woo placed on rooting, the breath riding the motion, and so on. We have digitizing the original interview tapes from Nei Jia Quan. Perhaps, he may have mentioned significant names. I will get back to you on this. In the mean time please continue with the iron thread. Thanks again.

The Iron Wire is an internal form, especially when compared to other Hung Ga Kuen fist sets.

I've got through enough of it to recognize old stills from the past that showcase the whole idea of neigong, even at range. Here's one. Basically Crane+Wood Fist Boxing.

1653584615734.png

1653584884483.png

Latest Discussions