Need to drum up business? Pick on a BJJ school

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And gets owned with the help of some of that school's students... Kudos to those folks.
Windows Broken; Glass Company Owner Busted

SACRAMENTO, CA - The owner of a glass company has been arrested following a stakeout at a martial arts school plagued for months by broken windows.

Andrew Krogh, 47, who owns AA Glass and Mirror, was arrested early Tuesday morning with a slingshot and ball bearings in his possession. Krogh was driving a white van that appeared to be identical to the one caught several times on surveillance video on nights that windows were shattered.
The building's landlord, Brian Seeley, said he had spent at least $12,000 since last fall to repair more than a dozen broken windows. He said Krogh approached him late last year after the first incident.

At the time, Seeley said he could think of no explanation for the seemingly senseless vandalism. "I never thought it would be a window guy drumming up business," he said.

Seeley also owns a company that sells surveillance equipment and his cameras on the building showed a white van driving by every time a window was shattered.

Students from the Werneck Jiu Jitsu school began staking out the building waiting for the white van to return. And on the third night their efforts paid off.

As many as eight students were hiding in the area immediately surrounding the business complex at 3732 Auburn Boulevard late Monday night when they saw Krogh's van stop and make a U-turn in front. Fellow student and sheriff's deputy Jack Noble made the arrest.

Krogh runs AA Glass and Mirror from his home on Watt Avenue about a mile from the martial arts school. Reached by telephone after being released from jail, Krogh denied shooting out the windows and said he would need to talk to an attorney before saying anything further.

But based on his statements to investigators, Krogh was charged with six counts of felony vandalism according to sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran.
Another business owner said she also paid Krogh to replace windows that had been shot out.

Debbie McCain, the owner of Total Beauty Experience on Arden Way, said Krogh showed up in her store the day after one of her front doors was shattered late last year and offered to replace the glass.

McCain said storefront windows were shot out two more times and each time she hired Krogh to replace them. One of the larger windows cost $450.

Sheriff's investigators are trying to determine how many other businesses might have been victimized by Krogh.

Martial arts student Dan Martin said the Jiu Jitsu school was one business Krogh should have left alone.

"We wouldn't be here unless we're extremely competitive," Martin pointed out. "And you're going to continuously pick on us and not expect us to fight back?"

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like something that should be on an episode of Cops.

I only wish the police had allowed the students "detain" the owner of the glass company.

AoCAdam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thats pretty sweet. Ya I wonder what that guy was thinking that a Jiu Jitsu School wouldn't defend itself against vandalism.

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
what a dirtbag.

they should pull his license.

12,000 in windows?

wow.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is actually kind of genius. I've been trying to figure out a way to make money in this difficult economy.

-Rob

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am suprised the folks didn't lay the smackdown on this guy.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There was a guy in the news a few years back that was drumming up business for his security business by breaking into homes and just leaving. Then he'd contact the victims in the area with a 'marketing call' about home security systems. I don't remember the details of his arrest other than that he was caught in the act.

Daniel

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I'm having flashbacks to this one scene I remember from "Robocop 3"

Guy runs into a donut shop, weapon drawn, and announces a holdup.

Sounds of several guns cocking and about 30 different red laser dots suddenly appear on his face/body.

Jump cut to bench full of cops, one of whom goes

"How's it feel to be a rocket scientist?"