the sparring debate

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We spar usually 2x week at our dojo, lining up facing our partner and wearing sparring gear. I, too am rather complacent about defending against backfists, kicks and the run-of-the mill white belt techniques. So on Fridays we have Sensei's choice, or Sempai's choice. I like to use the 'gauntlet' , Still in a controlled situation but with much more choices to defend against. Multiple opponents when a higher belt is chosen to be in the center ring.
this is good for the students as sometimes they get into headlocks, grappling situations and takedowns, and can utilize defenses against.
Sparring is great for the students - I have no doubt. I think there should be more real -life situations invoked in teaching utilizing what we've learned.

In the Spirit of Martial Arts

Tess

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Condition and guts take over..... where knowledge and skill end.

Soooooo create drills that condition you more for those real life situations in your studio!

You are so on track!

:asian:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are things like the gauntlet or technique lines things like that, is that considered sparring or drills?

OP
R

Rainman

Maybe they were and I just haven't seen it done. Which doesn't mean anything because I haven't seen a lot of stuff.

That would make 2 of us :D. However if you do a Kenpo version of sticky fists that would be an excellent place to learn in slowmo under pressure to do teks as you learned them. Over the months pick up the pace and this can be done with anyone including your wife (but stay slow there they really get mad if you clip them). It is worth some exploration.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for helping, sparring your putting on the gloves and doing either point or semi-full contact.

Do you think sparring is a necessary part of self-defense training?

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not that familiar with "sticky fists". I've read the description in Sacha Williams book of sparring drills, and it reads like a drill we've done from time to time. It still looks like a drill that isn't "alive" like sparring, but like I said I'm not sure if I've done it so excuse my ignorance.

jb

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93

I would say absolutely, Gotta get in the water if ya want to know how to swim. It's a marital art so we've gotta put some hands on one another in an "alive" environment and not just against "stone statues" that let us beat up on them.:D

jb

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Klondike93

Thanks for helping, sparring your putting on the gloves and doing either point or semi-full contact.

Let me add one very important point, if not already known. MAKE SURE IT'S CONTINUOUS TYPE SPARRING, NOT THAT POINT STUFF YOU SEE IN TOURNAMENTS!

OP
R

Rainman

I'm not that familiar with "sticky fists". I've read the description in Sacha Williams book of sparring drills, and it reads like a drill we've done from time to time. It still looks like a drill that isn't "alive" like sparring, but like I said I'm not sure if I've done it so excuse my ignorance.

It is not a drill. It is conceptual though. Ever do ne waza? Add strikes and stand up... or roll around if you have to. I was hoping that the term sticky fist might ring a bell but since it did not the term we use is checking hands.

Yes. You must be able to hit on the move. Slipping, rooting momentarily, reactionary setups, alignment of bone and muscle groups under pressure give depth and demension to "ring generalship". In other words another tool for learning about dominance in its many fashions.

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
..that Mrs. C gave our studio back in March.
I like the thought, just wanted to share.

{quote: Techniques weren't developed to be done verbatum in the heat of battle.

Why not? }

"techniques are lessons, not laws."

OP
R

Rainman

Depends on what you are doing with the teks. From reseviors to rivers or knees to noses. Are you folding an opponent up or just trying to defend yourself? Not all teks are as what they appear to be. Striking is the simplist part to see... or is it?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you really look at this string.....

EVERYTHING is a drill except for an actual encounter on the street ....

and even then that can be a drill in reality

Whewwwwwwwwww Man Rainman you are wearing on me...... :rofl:

OP
R

Rainman

EVERYTHING is a drill except for an actual encounter on the street ....

Or war.

Whewwwwwwwwww Man Rainman you are wearing on me......

:mad: Don't make me call and give you a talking to again. ;)

OP
R

Rainman

:roflmao:

OP
R

Rainman

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Your getting sleepy..... very sleepy...... sleeeeepy.... doooeenuts
nunnnnchaku setttt

Jackthekarateguy

White Belt
Reaction score
well, sparring is more like a duel no matter how you do it. It's good but it doesn't really serve, considering that always in sparring, you are fighting as a martial artist (regardless of what techniques you are emulating) timing and insticts are hard to kill. Quite a good drill is one guy stands in the middle of a ring of guys, each with an assigned number (unkown to the defender) a number is called, corresponding dude attacks and is hopefully countered and dispatched

Latest Discussions