Importance of Sparring

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I have seen these Aikido drills, only thing is you are aware of the attack prior to the defence..."some one runs up".
Not a criticism an observation.
Respect
Rich.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
Yes, I have seen these Aikido drills, only thing is you are aware of the attack prior to the defence..."some one runs up".
Not a criticism an observation.
Respect
Rich.
Rich, as the student progresses the distance between uke and nage decreases to the point that you are eventually at half ma-ai. The concept is not that much different from sparring in that you have no idea what attack is to be thrown. I've found it to increase my reaction time great deal. To take this drill one step further we have randori (free style attacks) and this is VERY much like sparring. Two opponents attack each other as an opening appears and react with technique. It's always done at an age appropriate pace and IMHO is as important to aikido training as sparring is to TKD, kenpo or any other art.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the break down Jeff, does seem a "little" like sparring though.
Respect
Rich

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, sparring is a necessity of the arts. It does teach reflexes and exercises your techniques.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich, randori with a good training partner can have you looking for the sparring pads in no time flat. :ultracool

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
jdmills said:
Since I did a significant amount of my training in the Philadelphia area (where there was (at least at the time) a very strong Tracy influence, I have seen a fair number of Tracy practitioners and I started that way myself (30 techniques per belt till I switched a blue belt level). I personally did not see this but that was more than a decade ago and the philosophy may have changed. I've seen Tracy practitioners who could not do much else but spar. It all depends on the individual and the instructor.
Did you have a connection with Dennis Tosten or perhaps Dennis Nackord? I have trained with both at seminars...they are tough as nails and great fighters.

Jamie Seabrook
http://www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
jdmills said:
There are still many who justify not sparring by saying that their techniques are "too deadly" or that learning to pull punches teaches students to pull punches on the street. I personally do not buy any of it. Kenpo techniques are very devastating if fully executed at full speed and power. However, that does not mean that we cannot spar and I don't think that logic truly applies to any system.
That's the exact cheesy argument that I have heard from one of our local Tracy black belts.

Jamie Seabrook

O

OrangeLeopard

A lot of emphasis on sparring is placed at my studio. During advanced tests students actually have to grapple and spar with my instructor (obviously not to win but so he can judge the level you are actually understanding kempo). We also di a lot of tournaments and competitive sparring which I believe is ok because competition really brings forth the drive to win, and that desire generally makes a spar a lot more realistic; however, i do value the learning aspects that sparring offers especially in a friendly envirnoment with people of assorted ranks. I prefer the latter but do very much enjoy a hihgly competive sparring comp.

J

jdmills

Seabrook said:
Did you have a connection with Dennis Tosten or perhaps Dennis Nackord? I have trained with both at seminars...they are tough as nails and great fighters.

Jamie Seabrook

Yes, I've been to Dennis Nackord's studio several times. It was at Dennis Nackord's school that I first met SGM Parker. I know of Dennis Tosten but I am certain he does not have any idea who I am. Mr. Tosten is probably the best tournament ref that I have ever seen. He keeps good control of the ring, makes is directions very clear, and is impartial (even when his own students are sparring with other students). Tom Updegrove is also very good as are many others in that area. Dennis Nackord holds high dan rank from Joe Lewis and Dennis Nackord was a major tournament competitor 30 years or so ago. I'm told that Dennis Tosten is also very good and I have nothing but respect for both of them.

Latest Discussions