The solution to the US problems

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I do most of the cooking in the house. I'm the guy who taught the kids to cook. I'm trying desperately to teach my wife to cook. :)

Elder999 said what my phone wouldn't let me! Great post.

Takes about 10 minutes to grill a ribeye to medium rare. About the same for a burger. A little longer for bone in chicken. Pork steaks, like Schwenk, take a little longer. Shrimp... maybe 5 minutes. Sockeye from the Copper River... delicious, but it takes maybe 10 minutes to cook it perfectly.

Point is, if the goal is to get some quality social time outside with beer in hand, you HAVE to cook something that takes some love. A butterflied chicken is probably the easiest to start with... more than just a few minutes, but less than an hour. Then step up to some pork ribs. Then give a Boston butt a try. Finally, move up to brisket. In my opinion, if you can bbq a brisket and make it delicious, you can handle anything.

BBQ is about patience and stamina... and beer and friends, and food that is worth the wait.

So... who's hungry? :D

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I do most of the cooking in the house. I'm the guy who taught the kids to cook. I'm trying desperately to teach my wife to cook. :)

Takes about 10 minutes to grill a ribeye to medium rare. About the same for a burger. A little longer for bone in chicken. Pork steaks, like Schwenk, take a little longer. Shrimp... maybe 5 minutes. Sockeye from the Copper River... delicious, but it takes maybe 10 minutes to cook it perfectly.

Point is, if the goal is to get some quality social time outside with beer in hand, you HAVE to cook something that takes some love. A butterflied chicken is probably the easiest to start with... more than just a few minutes, but less than an hour. Then step up to some pork ribs. Then give a Boston butt a try. Finally, move up to brisket. In my opinion, if you can bbq a brisket and make it delicious, you can handle anything.

BBQ is about patience and stamina... and beer and friends, and food that is worth the wait.

I'm in, Elder bring the smoker, I'll make a dry Rub, Whos bringing the beer. And MOST important, who's bringin the Burbon :rofl:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm in, Elder bring the smoker, I'll make a dry Rub, Whos bringing the beer. And MOST important, who's bringin the Burbon :rofl:
I'll bring the beer and the bourbon.

And if anyone from the UK or Australia wants to join us, you won't regret it. I promise. I'll bring a case of Men's Room Ale from the Elysian Brewing company. It's a red ale that kicks much butt.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Steve

"Finally, move up to brisket. In my opinion, if you can bbq a brisket and make it delicious, you can handle anything."

Whole. Hog. all night, hickory coals added from a separate fire. mop sauce only. Vinegar and pepper. takes 2-3 to turn it over the grate.
NO sweet 'sauce'. ever. ready about early afternoon. smoke ring. friends arrive with more beer and everything else. chop some. slice some.
sauces available, not necessary. outside or inside, take your pick. cracklins.

pig picking commences into evening and night. I bring the bourbon (wild turkey), so I get all 4 feet, right?

we make Steve honorary son of ...the south. Elder gets to be the...elder. everybody happy.

OP
C

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Steve,

I liked you until you mentioned grilling a steak medium rare.

The only acceptable way to grill a steak is to that stage where a good vet may still have a chance to save it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not gonna be stuck in the kitchen with the salad...forget that!
hand me a beer!!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve,

I liked you until you mentioned grilling a steak medium rare.

The only acceptable way to grill a steak is to that stage where a good vet may still have a chance to save it.
That's respectable. I don't like it when the meat is too blue. I like it red and bloody, but warm in the middle. :D

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do all the cooking in our family. I am no where as good a cook/griller as many of you seem to be, but my wife and I are able to eat what I cook :) For you married guys, any tips on teaching a non-cooking wife how to cook? I swear she's allergic to the kitchen :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I do all the cooking in our family. I am no where as good a cook/griller as many of you seem to be, but my wife and I are able to eat what I cook :) For you married guys, any tips on teaching a non-cooking wife how to cook? I swear she's allergic to the kitchen :)
Does she want to cook? If not... you're out of luck.

Being somewhat serious, I've had success over the years with just getting her to hang out with me in the kitchen. Taking the pressure of cooking the entire meal off of her allows her to help out without being in charge of anything. She chops the veggies and preps the food.

Fair warning. It probably won't work on your wife, but that's how I taught my older kids to cook. My wife CAN cook, but just doesn't like to. If she's in charge of dinner, that usually means pizza from Costco. My son won't starve, but he's like my wife. My daughter, on the other hand, is downright competent. She's 14 and can put together a pretty darned good meal. She also makes the best lemon meringue pie I've had since my grandma died.

I give my youngest daughter jobs now, too. She just turned three, but she's a great stirrer and loves to dump ingredients into bowls. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You treasure your digestive tract? Leave well enough alone! :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that feeling... My wife will cook on occasion, but she needs a recipe, and all the ingredients to be just right. Me? I learned enough about cooking that you hand me a bunch of ingredients, I'll turn out food. Often, pretty good food, if I do say so myself.

Cooking and social time rarely blend for me. If I'm cooking -- I'm busy, and it takes attention, even just throwing stuff together into a stew pot. Burgers or steaks or chicken can be tended and chatted around as you cook. (So long as you get the damn kibitzers to leave you alone and not tell you when to turn 'em...)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For you married guys, any tips on teaching a non-cooking wife how to cook? I swear she's allergic to the kitchen :)

Sorry mate; I am afraid that if a woman isn't a cook by the time she leaves her parents house then she never will be. You'll just have to take the treasure of her other qualities as counterbalance for the lack of magic in the kitchen. Lucky for me, my missus is a wonderful cook. Unluckily for my waistline, she cooks for four when there are only two of us :(.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Sorry mate; I am afraid that if a woman isn't a cook by the time she leaves her parents house then she never will be. .

My first wife couldn't cook much-I taught her how. I was working shifts, and she worked days, so I started by pre-assembling the ingredients and leaving instructions, cute things like, I am a meatloaf. Jeff combined 1 egg, 1 lb. ground turkey, 1 chooped onion,1/4 cup sliced mushrooms and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs to make me. Please put me on the lowest shelf of the oven, preheated to about 350 F, at around 1630, and jeff will take care of the rest when you wake him up at 1700....Then we'd repeat it at some later date, only do the assembly together. Taught her to roast a chicken, make soup and chili, bake, and grill a London Broil. She already knew how to cook some Italian things, and just needed the practice....that was all nearly 30 years ago......

....and now I think I'll have a good cry.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love my George Forman grill so much I'm taking it up to the mountains this weekend. Tomorrow evening I'll be sitting on the porch at my motel, grilling up a bison steak :D

For someone that hasn't done a lot of cooking, the George Foreman is a great way to get started. It cooks meats very quickly and its easy to clean up.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have a George Forman Grill.... now that just might be the solution to the US problems... not me having a George Forman Grill but the fact there is a George Forman Grill

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gran, funny stuff :)

Guess I'll just take comfort in that my waist size is not growing quite into my middle age. :)

Latest Discussions