The "Sir" Aspect of TaeKwonDO

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose I should update that I just visited a (non-Brazilian) friend's academy to teach a couple of classes and he introduced me as "Professor" each time. At least calling me "Professor Tony" rather than "Professor Dismukes" helped make it clear that I'm not an academic professor.

Our coach got the nickname professor from a ring announcer who just decided that because he was a school teacher it was just better than the one he already had.

He was a nothing belt in BJJ at the time.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overthinking what? To say that in times past it would have been considered an insult worthy of starting a duel? That's not called overthinking that's called reading a history book. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Maybe a rephrasing will help him understand...

If someone unknown to the members walked into a gym, and said "I've got something to teach you..." There just might be some folks in that gym that could take exception, no? And perhaps suggest that, if he really does have something to teach, maybe he should prove it first in the ring...

Nah, that could never happen...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If someone unknown to the members walked into a gym, and said "I've got something to teach you..." There just might be some folks in that gym that could take exception, no? And perhaps suggest that, if he really does have something to teach, maybe he should prove it first in the ring...

Nah, that could never happen...

Nope still sounds over thought.

And it happens. Like who the guy you have just submitted 8 times starts coaching you. Or the reality guy who tells you how to throw strikes during a roll. It is hardly the end of the world.

A bit funny maybe.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You were not insulted in a historical context. Maybe you were insulted due to a historical context?
Someone called themselves Sabum and they are not your Sabum or something.

I don't get the issue.
So you're going to stick with "be a dick."

Thanks for clarifying that.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That would work if he was interested in understanding or in a conversation. As it stands, it's clear that he is merely interested in being an agent provocateur. As such, I'm disinterested in playing that game.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That would work if he was interested in understanding or in a conversation. As it stands, it's clear that he is merely interested in being an agent provocateur. As such, I'm disinterested in playing that game.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Like old mate who provoked you by calling himself sabum or whatever. I thought I was being especially tactful.

If you want provoked try this.

Get over yourself and your sensitive feelings. You are being a dick.