The Sad Demise of Boxing/A pacifist's view of MMA

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Boxing is a dying sport, and nobody (including me) seems to care. And so it should.

My theory is, striking should only be done in MMA and self-defense, not as a sport. Boxers take many more accumulated blows, especially to the head, than MMA fighters.

I say, discourage people from pure boxing and into MMA. It will make for healthier athletes and a better society.

The premise is simple: Wrestling, Judo, Jiu-jitsu, Submission Grappling, etc... is fine, but only do striking if preparing for MMA or self defense purposes. Why practice boxing alone, when all it does is harm?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The premise is simple: Wrestling, Judo, Jiu-jitsu, Submission Grappling, etc... is fine, but only do striking if preparing for MMA or self defense purposes. Why practice boxing alone, when all it does is harm?

As a former wrestler, boxer and judoka, I can tell you that each of these sports can be very damaging to the body. Any time you go into competition, you risk a debilitating injury. That's the price you pay for playing in a contact sport.

OP
Freestyler777

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Those are rough sports, but don't you agree that boxing is the only sport that tends to cause brain damage? I never heard of wrestlers or judoka or BJJ fighters with brain damage.

When I say MMA is healthier than Boxing, I mean, the long term affects of competition and training. Any contact sport has a potential for injury, rugby, football, hockey, not to mention the martial sports.