The Right (and Wrong) Way to Die When You Fall Into Lava

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Right (and Wrong) Way to Die When You Fall Into Lava

By Erik Klemetti
December 7, 2011
Wired EXCERPT:

This post is based on a question I was posed in my “Introduction to Rocks and Minerals” class. Now, mind you, it isn’t a serious question, but when I thought about how to answer it, I realized how completely wrong everybody has been about it. The revelation was so clear I half expected the planet to be destroyed to make way for a bypass. So, before that happens, I thought a blog post might be a great way to explain why.

I’ll start with the answer: Everyone is wrong about how people die when they fall into lava.

So, what was the question? This (slightly paraphrased): “In that scene from Return of the King when Gollum falls into the pit of lava, would he have really just sunk into the lava like that?”

At first, it seemed like an easy question. Well, not so much easy as obvious: yes. However, the more I thought about it, the more I though that pretty much every scene I’ve ever noticed where somebody falls into lava and dies has got to be wrong. Some are just straight out obvious to explain — like in Volcano when the subway maintenance director jumps from the subway car that is being inundated by lava after he saved the unconscious subway driver. The guy jumps from the subway, but not far enough to miss landing in maybe 6 inches of basaltic lava and he proceeds to more or less melt away into the lava like the Wicked Witch of the West. Not likely. Maybe some very severe burns, maybe lost feet (think Darth Vader), but no wholesale melting like that.

However, the death of Gollum at the end of Return of the King got me thinking. Gollum, if you remember, dove into the lava of Mount Doom after his precious ring was thrown in — he proceeds to sink into the lava (see below) and leaves the ring floating on the lava until it melts away. Guess what? Sinking into lava just will not happen if you’re a human (or remotely human). You’d need to be a Terminator to sink into molten rock/metal … and here’s why.
END EXCERPT
Interesting! Go to the link to find out why Gollum wouldn't have sank.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Left unanswered was the most important question:
How long would you live if you landed on lava.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Lava has a temperature from 700 °C to 1200 °C (1300 °F to 2200 °F).... I'm guessing you don't live long when you spontaneously combust

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lava has a temperature from 700 °C to 1200 °C (1300 °F to 2200 °F).... I'm guessing you don't live long when you spontaneously combust
OK, I kinda figured that, but, will you be in unbelievable pain the entire time?
You know, in case I get mistakenly sacrificed as a virgin...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think that you'd die long before you hit the lava because the superheated air would destroy your lungs...

Kind of an interesting thought experiment, actually. In a kind of twisted way...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK, I kinda figured that, but, will you be in unbelievable pain the entire time?

Well you see there is a problem here.... there has not been a test subject yet that has actually did the required report... we losemore test subjects that way... but on a brighter note.... we do have openings if you are interested in the job :D

You know, in case I get mistakenly sacrificed as a virgin...

Honestly, although I only know you from MT.... I doubt you have much to worry about on this one:D

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well you see there is a problem here.... there has not been a test subject yet that has actually did the required report... we losemore test subjects that way... but on a brighter note.... we do have openings if you are interested in the job :D

Honestly, although I only know you from MT.... I doubt you have much to worry about on this one:D

Aperture Science?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You just gotta love the first comment @ the link:
But Mt. Doom is magical lava...
and the utterly apropos response:
I haven't seen any published data about the viscosity of magical lava. I'll have to look into it.

Latest Discussions