The primary application of a downward block

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe someone who can actually speak Japanese can give us a better/more accurate translation of the terms, like "jodan uke". I suspect that we simply have translated it as "upward block" or "rising block"... but doesn't uke really mean something more like "receiving?"

i dont speak japanese but I am good with languages (I studied russian for 4 years) and quickly tend to pick up japanese phrases and what they mean (one of my senseis speaks it and he said to me in a joke He could call for a taxi in tokyo, go get loaded in a bar downtown, and come back home again LOL!)

I think I know the meaning 'jodan uke' jodan mean upper, age mean 'rising' and uke mean the person in a relationship who is generally submissive (in ma that would be the one taking the attack) and blocking, therefore 'jodan age uke' or 'upper rising block'

I think my explanation is generally right.

I hope.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, the primary application of any block, downward or otherwise, is NOT TO GET HIT, and, if possible (every block IS a strike) instill a little pain in the attacker.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, the primary application of any block, downward or otherwise, is NOT TO GET HIT, and, if possible (every block IS a strike) instill a little pain in the attacker.

thats why everyone feels pain in their knuckles, arm, hand, etc when I'm blocking one of their strikes

and higher belts, browns and black belts are like, Dear God, she's some strong.

btw speaking of ukes reminds me i got used as uke our last class when i was paired up with a BB and sensei was beside me and he told BB to punch at my head and I backed up and responded with juji uke (X - Block) and respond punch and sensei was like "See! what good instruction does!"

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, "uke" means "to receive". When you apply a technique to your partner in class, they are called your uke.

So, let's do a quick analysis of the semantics.

Block=stop
Uke=receive

What is the difference? Mentality. When I am thinking of stopping what my opponent is doing, I am being bound up by him/her and are reactive to the situation. When I am receiving the technique, I am choosing to take control and ownership of what is happening and I am now responding and acting on the situation. I know it sounds like a semantics game and it will look the same, but it instills a different mindset.

Anyways,

Here is a book called 75 Downblocks, where the author tries and finds as many applications as possible for the movement.
http://www.amazon.com/75-Down-Block...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268055557&sr=8-1

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've used that movement in sparring as well. The issue here, IMO, is one of semantics. We are calling something a "downward block" and it really is much much more then that. That should clue us in that there is something wrong with the name for the technique, not the technique itself.

Well, it has to be called something, and, IMO, the simpler a name is, the better. Pretty much every move we make has multiple applications; the names are just tags to tell us which one to do at a given time. Interpretation and understanding of applications comes later.

BTW, I also use the down block in sparring.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not so sure it was deliberate obfuscation so much as communication errors across languages.

When I was writing my book, I came across some good resources that show that karate was changed deliberately. All of the old masters were frank about what they were doing in the few surviving writings we have of theirs. After the 1930's pretty much everyone was teaching the "modern" form of karate. The modern form took the complex kata movements and made them simple by isolating them from one another and changing the names. It completely redefined what would become known as basics. When we discuss the applications of these moves and pen ourselves in with the name of the technique, we need to realize that these techniques were not named like this previous to the early 20th century.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, it has to be called something, and, IMO, the simpler a name is, the better.

LOL, the Chinese called their quan segments "needle at sea bottom" or monkey takes the fruit" the name actually hints at the meaning. With karate, the names are really confusing, IMO.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL, the Chinese called their quan segments "needle at sea bottom" or monkey takes the fruit" the name actually hints at the meaning. With karate, the names are really confusing, IMO.

Kenpo followed the same idea with the naming of their techniques. The names give clues to what the technique does.