What is all this blocking about

Amatsu Tatara

White Belt
Reaction score
Cascade mountain range Oregon, Amatsu Tatara
Blocks certainly have thier application but they don't apply to a punch.
Alright maybe that statement is a little harsh. But I've been in and around many "street fights" and let me tell you that the punches come fast and if the attacker has boxed even faster. When I hear an instructor talk about stopping or catching a punch I know that he has never been in a street fight. A hay maker that you see coming, a drunk sure, that block is great. The myth of the block taking on the average punch is like the myth about delivering 11 strikes in one second, hmm I wonder which one will take out the attacker.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since this is the "Meet and Greet" section I'll start by saying welcome to MT. Tell us a bit about yourself and your training.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you throw your punches right, they ARE blocks.
Sean
And if you throw your blocks right, they are strikes. Upper block to the throat.:) Anyway amatsu tatara it looks like you are already enjoying posting. Hope your having fun.:)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin Note:

This thread has been moved to General Martial Arts Talk due to subject matter.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Assist. Administrator

Fang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Alright maybe that statement is a little harsh. But I've been in and around many "street fights" and let me tell you that the punches come fast and if the attacker has boxed even faster. When I hear an instructor talk about stopping or catching a punch I know that he has never been in a street fight. A hay maker that you see coming, a drunk sure, that block is great. The myth of the block taking on the average punch is like the myth about delivering 11 strikes in one second, hmm I wonder which one will take out the attacker.

Hmm, must be a gap in our personal experience somewhere... I've pulled off blocks and am pretty fond of forceful parries. From what I've seen blocks can be pretty destructive if you manage to pull them off. The concept is in the 'timing' but its true they have their place and time much like anything else we do.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree that blocks can be, and are used as strikes in sparring especially... I had a teacher that had us students break a board using a block, as a tool to show how powerful he likes to see the blocks (at the time- specifically in forms). Now, I've been told to block hard in sparring, and if someone didn't, it was counted against you. I've also blocked a fast moving punch before, too, with quite a lot of success. Now, obviously if all you're looking at is your opponents feet, you won't catch the punches...

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just a quick story.
One of the yellow belts at our dojo was attacked on his way to support friends who were taking part in a black belt testing.
He was attacked by two individual.
One of the attempted to punch him - he performed one of the basic blocks we have been learning. He followed it up with a punch.
The second one attacked - he performed another of the basic blocks and followed it up with a groin kick (that'll teach 'em).

So to say blocks are not practical is incorrect. The more you practise the faster you can block. The more you spar the better you can see the punch coming before the fist starts to move.
Fine - if they are an expert your block will probably be ineffective - but fortunately most people on the street aren't experts.

Just my two cents.......

Welcome to the forum!!

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score

Not to speak out of turn, but I think I'ma gonna call bs on this one. This is the sort of statement made by somebody with no real experience who wants everybody to think he has some.

Sometimes blocks work, sometimes they don't. Ditto all your other techniques and basics. That's reality as I've experienced it, and I think you'll find most of the other experienced folk on this board as well.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Well, speaking from the perspective of many "street fights" myself. I would say that the opening post's philosophy is partly true. Blocks will work against a one big punch. However they also apply to opening shots of a fight. They are usually somewhat of a bomb with the strong side, maybe followed by a quick, second shot, if standing. From there one usually grabs on with the weaker hand and pummels with the stronger one. Applied aggressively (which you should, as you are in a fight) blocks work fine. Against "boxers", true hard blocks are too slow to deal with their fast combinations. However, you shouldn't be standing around letting them tee off on you with combinations. You have many more weapons available to you. You don't try to punch and block with a boxer. If they are close enough to tee off, they are close enough to kick, takedown, clinch, etc..

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, speaking from the perspective of many "street fights" myself. I would say that the opening post's philosophy is partly true. Blocks will work against a one big punch. However they also apply to opening shots of a fight.

Totally agree with this statement. Bando stresses and initial evasion or hard striking block followed by a progression of attacks until the fight is over. Blocks have their place, even though I'm more of a "parry" guy.

Once while bouncing I had a guy come at me in the narrow space between the bar and the wall with the only strike he could throw - an overhand, downward punch. I went into him him a textbook rising block and smashed his arm and face at nearly the same time. As it was a block, the boss didn't get pissed from me punching a customer - a distinct no-no. From there I just spun him around into a choke and out the door.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite blocks is done with the point of my elbow (aka spiking). I've broken 4 people's wrists with it; broken wrists ends fights really quickly. So when you state that blocks don't apply to punches I'd have to disagree. Experience is a very good teacher and I've eaten a lot of punches over a span of 15 years to share this insight with you. So I've had plenty of time to uh "practice". lol

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now, maybe my experience is different. But the last place I'd want to be in a situation where I've got multiple attackers is tied up with ONE of them on the ground. See, unless you're Chuck Norris, and carry a screenwriter in your back pocket to keep attackers coming at you one at a time -- real world mob attacks don't happen that way. They ALL jump you... and if you're down, more jump you! If you're on the ground, you've lost a huge amount of your mobility (that's why I LIKE taking bad guys to the ground...).

Hmmm Let me see.

One guy each grabbed the side of jacket to try to pull over my head. (* Two so far *)

Another two tried each to grab and pin my legs (* Four total so far *)

One guy who was coming in fast to knock me out. (* Five total so far *)

I was able to get me legs free and through both of them yes I said both of them up and into the guy coming at me to stop him. Of course the guys going for me legs and trying to pul the jacket over my head and I all went down (* so did the guy I double kicked *). Being alone in this fight. I just elbowed and punched and slammed anything near me.

Wait did I tell you about the very first guy I had out on the floor. Nope? Sorry. He came around and started kicking me in the ribs and so did some random guy. (* Total 7 people and as some of them were on the ground with me so it was a total mess. *) Well two guys come walking in and see the fight and each grab one. (* Now just 5 on me. *) We ended up getting up and going down lots of times. While on the ground I had my hands and ankles stepped on and my ribs kicked a couple of times and one to the face that would have been worse if I did not have such a hard forehead.

While trying to get up and away, I was tackled again. Me and four and half of them went through a plate glass window. (* The half was the one who did clear through but was stuck half in and half out. *) I hit the window low and it popped out and up. I tried to roll through. I hit hard and looked up and the glass was still going up in slow motion. I rolled over and crawled scrambled away as fast as possible and the glass came down on them. The safety glass did cut them up and they looked real bad, but they were all able to drive themsleves to the hospital before the police were able to show up.

Me?

I spent the night in the hospital as well with a dislocated rib and a bruised hyper-extended knee and other various injuried including some hard shots to head.

Did I win?

I am alive so I think I won. But it was very painful and costly.

Being on the ground in a fight for your life is not the place to be.

Or at least that is the way I remember it. ;) :D :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My god Rich, what brought all that on!

Glad that you made it through to the 'other side' mostly in one piece : phew :.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was another thread floating around here on the use of parries. IMHO, blocks and parries are all tools, which have their place and time. Its a matter of using the tool at the right time. If someone chooses to disregard the use of the block, thats their choice, however, its not necessarily the right choice for everyone, considering we're all different.