The One and Three Inch Punch

W

Withered Soul

Does anyone know how to do this technique? I'm curious onto how it works. If anyone has a website where it tells you how to do this please post it.
Isn't it meant to tell you how the mechanics of a punch works or something?

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The inch-punch techniques use fajin and an upward wrist snap with a vertical punch to transfer energy to the target. I believe James DeMille (sp?) has a book out on the subject.

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

OP
C

chufeng

The idea that a punch travels one-inch is wrong...
The fist starts at one inch from the target, yes, but when executed, covers a much greater distance...even when Bruce Lee does it in the demo at Ed Parker's tournament (look at his shoulder...see the distance just the shoulder moves).

The action is initiated in the heel and transferred through the hip.
Keep elbow down and shoulders sunk...expand the joints...

Focus the technique and breathe sharply (no kiai)...

Using a vertical fist; snapping the wrist up uproots the opponent...snapping the wrist down is more devastating...

I suggest that your partner use a thick phone-book...that protects him, if you're successful, and allows for feedback, if you're not...80%-90% of the shock will be absorbed by the layers of pages within the phone book.

Now, the secret of this technique is to start long...use a long lunging technique for awhile and shorten it over time...eventually the power in the long technique will be apparent in a very short distance...you can't take short cuts...train hard.

:asian:
chufeng

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The James DeMille book is worth buying (if it is still in print); it retailed for something on the order of $5 the last time I saw it.
Be very protective of your wrists while playing with these techniques.
Chufeng gives a nice summary of the technique; essentially you are creating motion in other parts of the body and tranferring that energy through a hand which is already in contact.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definitely use the phone book. I was showing my brother the basic mechanics of it once and couldn't find my phone book, so I did it with my palm to his chest.

Bad idea.

Phone book = good.

Cthulhu

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or a decent focus mitt, thai pad, whatever.
Be kind to your ukes or you have no one to play with.

Latest Discussions