Muay Thai Training Equipment at Home

Johnoo1234

White Belt
Reaction score
hi everyone, I have been doing muay thai and want to start practicing at home as well. I want something to practice techniques on like a heavy bag. except I cant really get a heavy bag because they are too loud and I'm thinking about doing it for more than an hour a day. I have 3 other people living in the house and a heavy bag would just really annoy them. does anyone know of anything that would work like a punching bag? it doesn't have to look similar to a punching bag, it just has to be durable and allow me to practice techniques like you would on a heavy bag. if there isn't anything functional and very quiet that you can buy I could also make something. so if anyone has any ideas as to how to make a very quiet but functional piece of training equipment, it will be really appreciated.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well if you want to hit anything it's going to make noise there's no doubt about that

Kevin__Huang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How about shadow boxing? It didn't make much noice right?

Sent from my D2305 using Tapatalk

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Footwork drills...
Switch Step drills...
Punch, Kick, Teep, Knee, Elbow presentation drills...
Body and head movement drills...
Put it all together with Shadow boxing.
Great way to help increase your cardio as well as smooth out your movements.

OP
J

Johnoo1234

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys but I'm kinda looking for something to hit instead of just shadow boxing which I still do.

OP
J

Johnoo1234

White Belt
Reaction score
what are your thoughts on something like the century heavy bag stand with a long thai heavy bag wrapped in layers of more dense foam to begin with and then really soft foam on the outside. and also instead of using chains to attach the bag to the stand, something like bungee cords or rope are used. just some thoughts. I know that there will never be complete silence when punching something but maybe this could significantly lower the noise level?

Zephyor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are you having a backyard? If so , you might train outside, so the noise wont bother people you live with. Even if you can't hit the bag, theres plenty of stuff you can do at home to improove. Do stretching, speed & endurance tranining... and also strenghth... wich is meaningless without skill. What I love to do are some altered blurpees. First off, squat, switch to pushup stance, do a clap pushups, jump back t osquat stance (low) Jump as high as u can on one leg drilling you'r knee tecnique on the other, switch legs on next rep. Looks goofy but it's verry effective at least for me.

OP
J

Johnoo1234

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I have a backyard but am concerned the neighbours would get annoyed. what do u think about my punching bag idea? I will try the burpee. it looks tiring.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are your thoughts on something like the century heavy bag stand with a long thai heavy bag wrapped in layers of more dense foam to begin with and then really soft foam on the outside. and also instead of using chains to attach the bag to the stand, something like bungee cords or rope are used. just some thoughts. I know that there will never be complete silence when punching something but maybe this could significantly lower the noise level?
The layers of foam would make it quieter. It will also dramatically alter the dynamics of the punch. For someone with experience, those changes might not be such a problem, but when you are starting out it's VERY easy to develop bad habits from non-standard training methods (like a very cushy heavy bag). I'd suggest simply not hitting as hard, which will reduce the noise without having to change the dynamics so dramatically. Getting the form and movement right is more important when you start, anyway - power is only useful when it's properly applied.

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Try punching on rock.
1) it won't make noise.
2) you will be careful while punching otherwise you'll make noise.

Its a joke. I really couldn't hold myself. Because I had done this kind of foolish act before and had got swollen punch.

Sent from my Karbonn A2+ using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions