Punching and Kicking Straws - Drill Experiment

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've implemented a new training drill where students punch and kick drinking straws. Yes drinking straws.

The idea came about as a solution to get certain students to focus on hitting at the head and I think it may actually work better than expected but I won't know until maybe 2 weeks of this training.

The punches and kicks that we do with the straws are circular strikes, No jabs yet, but when I find out how to use the straws to train the jabs then I will us it for that.

It sounds crazy, but after the first day, many students say that their legs were sore from doing the conditioning drills for using the straw. Today I tried a couple of our circular punches and I could tell if students were hitting properly by the sound that the straw made when struck. It seems to be an excellent drill for training the accuracy of punches and kicks. Because the straws are taped on the wall, it becomes a great drill for control as some students hit the wall when trying to hit the straw, other students were nervous about hitting the wall which tells me that they haven't mastered measuring the distance. Some of the students missed the straw completely.

How well will this work? Is it a good training exercise? Has it helped anyone? I don't have those answers yet as it's too early to tell, but I'm really curious to see if this crazy idea will actually work. If see huge improvements from students doing this training then make a video so I can share it with those who might want to try this crazy idea.

If it doesn't work well and doesn't show positive results then I'll just let you guys know not to bother.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Neat idea. We've used paper cups on top of WaveMaster bags for kicking in a kinda similar way.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good news about one straw exercise. I didn't think I would see results as fast as soon as 2 sessions of using drinking straws. The first exercise builds up the necessary leg, tendon, ligament and muscle strength needed to lift the leg waist height. The exercise is common, but the use of the straw is what makes it different.

Here's the set up for the exercise. Take the bending straw so that it create a 90 degree angle and tape it to a wall at knee height with the long end of the straw pointing away from the wall. Recommend using painter's tape so you aren't pulling paint off the wall. Next stand facing the straw and lift your lead leg over the straw back and forth without your foot touching the ground. Don't use anything to support your balance as this exercise will help build up the muscles that help you keep balance. This will probably be easy for TKD people

For beginners.

Exercise #1 Do 1 minute rounds for this exercise twice on each leg (total of 4 minutes all together). I take a 10 second break between each leg to do a quick stretch. I also alternate legs each round. Try not to hit the straw.
To increase the difficulty you can keep your hands in a fighting position while doing this exercise or increase the height of the straw.
Goal: to do this exercise for a minute as fast as you can without stopping or losing balance.

Exercise #2: Keep the straw in the same position but turn your body sideways. In this exercise you will do a low side kick directly over the straw. Focus on bringing your knee up, kicking out, and bringing your knee back and place your foot down and repeat the same process. Do 1 minute rounds twice on each legs. (total of 4 minutes all together). I take a 10 second break between each leg. To increase the difficulty, keep your hands in fighting position. You can also increase the difficulty by not letting your foot touch the floor.
Goal: to do this exercise for a minute as fast as you can without stopping or losing balance.

Benefits of these 2 exercises:
#1 Strengthens the muscles related to kicking and balancing while improving muscle endurance. I've done this exercise every other day.
#2 Trains accuracy. During exercises the area around the straw becomes a target. It's more of a subconscious type targeting that involves muscle memory and spatial relation. You not only have to move your foot around the target but you have to move it in a way that you aren't kicking or touching the wall. If your foot is too close then you'll kick the wall, if your foot is too far then you won't be able to move your foot around and over the straw.
#3 Increases focus and forces you to focus on what you are doing and how you are doing it.

Benefits of using straws:
#1 Cheap and reusable.
#2 They can be placed anywhere that has a wall or surface to and doesn't take up space like equipment does.
#3 Instructors can monitor students process because the straw makes different sounds when someone hits it on the side vs hitting the front of it.
#4 Straw allows students to instantly identify when their movement isn't correct or accurate. There is absolutely no guessing.
#5 Everyone can afford these types of straws so it makes it a good training tool for students to use at home even if they go on vacation.

What I noticed after day 2 of doing these exercises.
Balance was greatly improved. Some students have done one leg stances for years and were still having difficulty with balancing. Today we did our stepping form and it was the first time ever that no one wobbled or lost balance when transitioning into a one leg stance. I also noticed that students were able to hold their leg up higher while in the stance. They didn't look as if they were trying to struggle to keep balance.

We do other exercises using the straw but I don't know what the results of those exercises will be. I'll find out when the other instructor gets back because he hasn't done these exercises before. If he notices a difference in their abilities then at least I will know that, I'm not letting wishful thinking influence what I think I'm seeing. I asked the students if they notice a difference and at the moment it hasn't been noticeable for them. I'm sure that will change after 14 days of this exercise, will produce clear results.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is the idea to hit the straw and not the wall?
The goal is to hit the straw with accuracy without sacrificing technique, speed and power.

As for the wall, if you aren't on target you will hit the wall. If you aren't paying attention, then you will hit the wall. If you think more about not hitting the wall, you will hit the wall. If you swing without control, you will hit the wall. My focus needs to be on what I want to hit and not on what I don't want to hit.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like this idea a lot, although I feel that it should only be done after the technique becomes pure muscle memory, and you need to focus on accuracy combined with your power and speed. In other words, I feel beginners wouldn't benefit much from an exercise like this because they will be so focused on just hitting the straw by any means necessary, rather than on learning the correct technique. Advanced students who can do the techniques flawlessly without thinking about it can do this to build up their strength and accuracy, but I feel there are more effective ways of training beginners.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's another quick update. Last week I had a chance to increase the height of my straw (5 inches higher than before). I didn't think it would be too difficult but I was wrong. It's like I've started over again.
My kicking speed, leg strength, and flexibility for front snap and front heel kick has increased. My crescent kicks are crazy fast in comparison to what they originally were. I probably should have taped a before and after. Originally my crescent kicks always felt like I was lifting a heavy leg. Now it doesn't feel like I'm lifting my leg. My round house kicks are also easier to deliver. I expect even bigger improvements in that area next week when I start training side kicks.

Initial training started at knee height and the new height increase puts it about mid thigh level. Eventually I want to be able to do this same exercise at stomach level, chest level will be great too but I'm not sure if that's even possible since I'm not the most flexible person to begin with. My assumption is that if I can get my leg at least stomach height then I'll be able to kick someone in the heart with considerable force. Jow Ga story says that the founder kick a person in the heart and it killed the person. It sounds crazy until you start thinking about the dangers of being punched in the chest which can stop the heart from beating. If a punch can do it, then definitely a kick will do it.

Students used the straws about 10 - 14 times in one month before increasing height.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to do a heal kick to the heart but it'll be interesting to see where I'll hit my limits and just how far these exercises takes me. This is only one series of exercises that I use with the straw.

I know that this may not sound like much for TKD students but for adult students who are just starting, it's appearing as this is a faster way to flexibility than forcing leg muscles to tear.

Latest Discussions