The NEW IKKA

P

ProfessorKenpo

Alright, let's get some of these threads back on track. I posted this because I got to talk to Larry K. and Edmund Jr. this weekend about the new IKKA. I also told them I would not support them financially, though I may provide my time at some of their events from time to time. I like these guys, don't get me wrong. They've always been incredibly nice and cordial to say the least, and put up with me in my pink gi LOL. I also enjoy the company of others not in the LTKKA, and hang around and talk with them at considerable length, and work out with them at every available oppurtunity.

Now, back to the crux. From my understanding, there really is nothing new about the IKKA.Reformatted to a more business type environment is my take. The higher dues are to pay the seniors for their time and energy to enhance the unity of the IKKA, you can't fault them for that. If you really have a serious issue with the IKKA and what it will do for you as an individual or school owner, contact them about your options, I did, and I'm not even involved, but wanted to get the scoop on the situation should someone ask.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Way to go Clyde.

A Pink gi at the Homecoming and a great "save" to keep the threads on track.

Bravery and Leadership.

You're my hero. :asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you called did they tell you what they wanted you to hear? Or did they say what you had expected to hear? Was it different than you had expected? :asian:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
When you called did they tell you what they wanted you to hear? Or did they say what you had expected to hear? Was it different than you had expected? :asian:

I take it you're referring to my post I talked to them at the Homecoming. I asked the right questions and they gave me their answer. It was as I expected.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
I take it you're referring to my post I talked to them at the Homecoming. I asked the right questions and they gave me their answer. It was as I expected.

Fair enough.:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There were several rumors in December as I recall.
I called the IKKA phone number and they told me that the IKKA had been sold and that Mrs. Parker had retired and that a family member was a principal in the company that bought them.

Anyway, I just wanted to say again, that in general there should be more consulting with the "source" and less speculating. Or at least checking the source should come first, but there I go again thinking this is the New York Post! :eek:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall
There were several rumors in December as I recall.

I called the IKKA phone number and they told me that the IKKA had been sold and that Mrs. Parker had retired and that a family member was a principal in the company that bought them.

Anyway, I just wanted to say again, that in general there should be more consulting with the "source" and less speculating. Or at least checking the source should come first, but there I go again thinking this is the New York Post! :eek:

The IKKA knows well your instructors phone number. I would let THEM contact him if and when they are ready to explain what they are doing or give the numbers to BD and let HIM call for himself.

:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The logical step for the IKKA is to get a bunch of the "unaffiliated" Seniors on Board, before approaching those who have formed their own Associations. You don't just jump right in on something, without having established your own "base" first.

Bob Liles had resigned from the UKS. A good friend of Dian Tanaka's, who had not affiliated herself with any one organization, but rather was another "Amabassador for Kenpo" the way Edmund is. Frank Trejo did seminars for everyone, but was not really affiliated with any one organization. The same can be said of Huk Palanas. These latter 2 individuals make their living from Kenpo and it makes sense to join an organization providing the benefits the IKKA is implementing. Things like "a salary" .... unheard of in Kenpo; health benefits; retirement; seminars (which most were already doing), etc.

I am also a naysayer in some ways. Although I have talked to Edmund re: the new IKKA and support him personally, and anyone who decides to join, I just have issue with the $10 per month per student (plus the cost to become an IKKA school - it is huge compared to what they used to be, or the cost of joining any of the Associations out there today.) $10 per month is not a lot if you live in LA or San Francisco and pay $150/month for lessons - or lets round it down to $120, because I know people who charge that for certain. The $10 increase is 1/12th of their montly cost, or 1/15th. Less than a 5% increase if you are at a $150/month school.

My students pay roughly a half of that here in Austin, so to them the increase would be closer to a 15% increase. I know some schools in more rural areas, or smaller towns who that the cost of an IKKA individual membership would be a 25% increase in monthly dues.

This dispropotionate amount places a burden on smaller schools, and you risk losing students, it just does not seem equitable that some pay a 25% increase, while others pay 5% more. Either way it looks squirrley to me, and just does not seem fundamentally fair, and I don't want to pass this on to my students yet.

I will have to see what my teacher, Tommy Burks, and the head of my Association, John Sepulveda do. Loyalty certainly is also a factor that weighs in heavily with me.

Latest Discussions