Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Myth that Gun Control is Good
By Bob Hubbard

You've seen it on the news. Another celebrity wants to ban guns, because they are evil. You don't hear that their body guard is carrying however.

The anti-gun crowd loudly proclaims that only by making guns illegal, can we be safe.

Ask them why cities with gun bans have the highest crime rates however, and they fall silent.

Ask them why cities with easy gun laws have the lowest crime rates, and they change the subject.

Now, before we begin this examination of the issue, let me state for the record I am anti-gun. If it were possible to eliminate every gun on the planet, I'd be quite happy to see them go. But that genie is out of the bottle, and will never go back in. Guns are here and they are here to stay. With that said, lets look at some gun myths.

Myth 1 - More restrictive laws will result in less guns in the hands of criminals.

False.

Any politician who pushes this idea is either an idiot or an incompetent, or both. Criminals don't care about the law, that's why they are criminals. All restrictive laws do is keep guns out of law abiding citizens hands.

Myth 2 - Hard gun laws make cities safer.

False.

Hard gun laws ensure that law abiding citizens are defenseless. As #1 established, criminals don't care. Cities such as Washington and Chicago that have gun bans have some of the highest homicide rates in the US. By comparison, the state of Vermont who has the most lax gun laws in the nation, also ranks last on federal crime statistics. If easy access to guns results in high crime, how can you explain this?

The bottom line here is, heavy gun laws result in a less safe society, as the only people who have guns there are police and criminals.

Myth 3 - Gun Ownership is not really guaranteed.

False.

In the early days of out nation, our founding fathers wrote specific guidelines to allow citizens ownership of guns through the Second Amendment.

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Some choose to interpret this to mean it's about the militias, but that's not the case. If it were, there wouldn't be a specific section for the militias in Article 1, Section 8.

Some say it's about the state, but if that were true, the founders would have said "state" not "people". They were precise in their wording of this document. An earlier draft by Madison said "The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed; A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State."

There is of course the question of "A well regulated Militia". Regulated by whom? Again, the intent wasn't government law, but the idea of regular training and practice, which was writen about in Federalist #29 by Hamilton.

Myth 4 - Guns in schools makes them less safe.

False.

Take the Columbine Colorado tragedy as an example. Two armed gunmen were able to move around the school freely, without worry of reprisal, inflicting massive casualties, due to being the only ones armed there.

Contrast that with the Appalachia College of Law school shooting, where the gunman was subdued after 2 armed students confronted him.

If the teachers at Columbine had been armed, it's possible that the body count might have been much lower.

Myth 5 - Gun Control Advocates are practice what they preach.
False.

• Rosie O'Donnell, who supports the Million Mom March reportedly keeps armed body guards on staff to protect her family.
  • Diane Feinstein, one of the biggest opponents of gun ownership in Congress, has an unrestricted concealed weapons permit.
  • Senators Chuck Schumer another Congressional opponent of gun ownership also has a concealed carry permit. In fact, Senator Schumer possesses an "unrestricted" pistol permit, a rarity in New York City.
  • Carl Rowan, who often wrote about the ills of firearms ownership shot and wounded a teenager who trespassed on his property. That's when the news came out that Carl Rowan, a fierce gun-control advocate, actually possessed a license to own firearms.
Dig deep enough into the backgrounds of the gun control group and you'll find many more who don't measure up to the limits they would impose on others. Why if they are so opposed to this, would they arm themselves? Is it for their own safety, or is it that they want to be the ones with the guns?

Myth 6 - Gun Laws are for your protection.

False.

It's proven that gun laws only apply to law abiding citizens. Criminals will obtain guns and use them regardless of how many laws there are, and there are quite a few on the books, hundreds in fact. Cities and states with heavy regulation have the highest crime rates in the nation. This simple fact is ignored repeatedly by law makers.

Gun laws exist for one reason. To restrict gun access for law abiding citizens.

Remember, the British Army was on it's way to confiscate the colonists weapons when they were fired upon. A disarmed population is easier to control. The Founding Fathers knew this, which is why they wrote protections into the law allowing civilian gun ownership. This was done specifically to allow the citizens a means of defense against both criminal and oppressive government. In a city where the law is restrictive, criminals know you're probably unarmed. Easy prey. Where you are allowed, and sometimes even required to arm yourself, crime is low because the prey isn't so easy.

A read of this might seem to indicate that I support repealing all gun regulations. I don't. I believe that some laws are in fact necessary. Criminals shouldn't be allowed to have them, their misuse should be punished, etc. Responsible and Educated gun ownership, not repressive and restrictive laws is the answer in my opinion.

Resources:

• Michael Badnarik - Good to be the King - Cptr 16 pg105-109
  • Thomas E. Woods Jr. PHD. - The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History - Cptr 3, Pg22-24

Web Resources

====

Bob Hubbard is
the CEO of SilverStar WebDesigns Inc, a web design and hosting company specializing in martial arts sites, as well as an administrator on the popular martial arts communities MartialTalk.com, Kenpotalk.com and FMATalk.com. He is also a respected professional photographer specializing in martial arts event, nature and portrait photography. His martial arts photography can be found there as well as at his martial arts photography web site, martialphotos.com. He may be reached through these sites.
Copyright
© 2008 - Bob Hubbard - All Rights Reserved
Permission is granted to reprint this article on websites, blogs and ezines provided all text, links and authors bio is left intact.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Probably one of the most rational statements I've ever read by an anti-gun person.

Thanks Bob. :asian:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Now, before we begin this examination of the issue, let me state for the record I am anti-gun. If it were possible to eliminate every gun on the planet, I'd be quite happy to see them go. But that genie is out of the bottle, and will never go back in. Guns are here and they are here to stay. With that said, lets look at some gun myths.

But then you would have to be anti-knife, sword, crossbow and bow and arrow :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually am. Anti-weapon, I mean. One of those ironies in my life, lol!

Anti-war, yet I study it constantly. Anti-weapon yet my main training is in blade arts. etc.

I'm just weird. :D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anti-war, yet I study it constantly. Anti-weapon yet my main training is in blade arts. etc.
I somehow don't see it that way... you can be against something and still want to study it... it better helps you understand WHY you're against it. It also helps to understand something in order to prevent it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

If it helps I am anti-forms but what art do I study... and I am really not all the fond of computers either.... and you think you're weird :D

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gun control is ridiculous. To put it into perspective, the argument is that they are lethal....well....so is sunlight! Ever heard of melanoma? In 2008 there were 62,480 reported cases and 8,420 deaths in the US from "skin cancer." Should we outlaw going out in the sun?

Knives, pens, pencils, cars, chairs, rolling pins, nail clippers, archery sets, kitchen knives, forks, wire coat hangers, rocks, my aluminum coffee mug, a heavy boot, a candle stick.....all can be used as deadly weapons.

It's not the gun you should be worried about, but the idiot wielding it.

To further point out how silly gun control is I paraphrase a line from a George Carlin bit on the subject..."What about really big guys? They got big-guy hands that can crush your head....It should be illegal to be a really big guy."

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, but who'se going to tell Andre the Giant he's now illegal?
(yeah I know he's dead, but you get my point right?) :)

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd be happy if everyone could only posess a bolt action mauser and 1911 .45. But since getting several billion people to obey that seems to be a streach, then we have to live with the fact bad guys can get whatever is manufactured, or make it themselves!

Any of you ever seen the collection of weapons they get in a prison? Even some firearms. Why the Texas Department of Corrections can't even keep cell phones out of death row! And the U.S. sure can't keep drugs off the street.

Think about that before banning anything so many people feel it's their right. All you will do is get the mafia to import all those goodies at real inflated prices for those that want it. And I bet it won't be simi-autos... it will be the real fully auto 'assault rifles'.

Prohibition all over again! The mob will become stronger. You think Chicago is rotton now? Hahaha wait till they ban guns nation wide.

Deaf

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats what it is like here in Australia , guns are banned and knives are banned but all the crims still seem to have them .

I can't count how many times guns have been taken off security guards by criminals , and now we are even getting drive by shootings .

Lots of stabbings too , seems like every young punk is carrying a blade despite it being illegal to have a knife on your person . We also seem to be going through an epidemic of glassings in pubs and nightclubs ( shoving a beer glass in somebodys face ) even women are doing it to other women . Now they want to try and ban glass containers and bottles in drinking establishments and just have plastic cups .

I don't know what the solution is to these problems but I don't think it is to have knee jerk reactions and run around banning everything.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe crime would go down if we ban people. After all, what's the common factor here?

:)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, but who'se going to tell Andre the Giant he's now illegal?
(yeah I know he's dead, but you get my point right?) :)
I don't want to deal with Andre the Giant Zombie...

No way!

I've said before that I don't have a problem with individual ownership of guns. I'm a fan of it. I'm a fan of CCW, too. With some minimum qualifications and training.

Reasonable gun laws make sense, just like laws about where you can dispose of trash, building codes, and so on. When they go too far, they become like a lot of homeowners associations. Completely nuts and way too restrictive to serve their real purpose.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Compare 2 populationally similar samples. Vermont, with lax laws, and DC with hard laws.

2007 Stats

Vermont

12 murders, 9 by gun
80 roberies, 28 by gun
Population 621,254

Vermont has very few gun control laws. Gun dealers are required to keep a record of all handgun sales. It is illegal to carry a gun on school property or in a courthouse. State law preempts local governments from regulating the possession, ownership, transfer, carrying, registration or licensing of firearms.[179]

The term "Vermont Carry" is used by gun rights advocates to refer to allowing citizens to carry a firearm concealed or openly without any sort of permit requirement. Vermont law does not distinguish between residents and non-residents of the state; both have the same right to carry while in Vermont.

The Vermont constitution of 1793, based partly on the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights, guarantees certain freedoms and rights to the citizens: "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State — and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power."[180]

District of Columbia
276 Roberies, 62 by gun
181 Murders, data not available on murders by gun
Population: 588,292

In Washington, D.C., all firearms must be registered with the police, by the terms of the Firearms Control Regulations Act of 1975.

The same law also prohibited the possession of handguns, even in private citizens' own homes, unless they were registered before 1976. However, the handgun ban was struck down when a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled on March 9, 2007, that the handgun prohibition violated the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.[30] The ruling also overturned a section of the same law requiring all registered firearms to be kept disassembled or locked with trigger locks. On May 8, 2007, the full U.S. Court of Appeals refused to reconsider that decision. On July 16, 2007, D.C. mayor Adrian Fenty announced that D.C. would appeal the ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court.[31] On November 20, 2007, the Supreme Court agreed to hear the case, which was now known as District of Columbia v. Heller. On June 26, 2008, the Supreme Court ruled that D.C.'s ban on handguns is unconstitutional by a 5-4 vote.[32]

Pending legislation is expected to modify existing law to clarify that firearms in the home must be stored unloaded and either disassembled secured with a trigger lock, gun safe, or similar device. An exception is made for a firearm while it is being used against reasonably perceived threat of immediate harm to a person within a registered gun owner’s home. The Chief of Police will require ballistics tests of any handgun submitted for registration to determine if it is stolen or has been used in a crime. MPD will allow the registration of previously possessed handguns other than those that qualify as "machine guns" under District law (that is, all automatics and most semiautomatic pistols) for the next six months.[33]

Sources:
FBI
Wikipedia

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Compare 2 populationally similar samples. Vermont, with lax laws, and DC with hard laws.

There are huge differences between Vermont and DC that makes any such sort of simple comparison meaningless. First rule of science: isolate your experiment down to one variable. For one thing, DC is a much poorer, denser place than Vermont. That right there will get you more crime, irrespective of the laws.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very true. My points were to ssimply compare population size, gun laws and crime statistics. Mixing poverty in does change things. There is also the whole "He's comparing a state to a city" argument.

I will however admit to being too lazy/busy right now to do a proper comparison between say, NYC, Chicago, Austin and LA, though my gut tells me Austin is lowest on the crime rate list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

ok, not too lazy for a quickie. LOL

Texas Austin 716,817 Pop 540 Violent Crimes 4 Murders
New York Buffalo 273,832 Pop 1,275 Violent Crimes 20 Murders
Illinois Chicago 2,824,434 Pop N/A Violent Crimes 16 Murders
California Los Angeles 3,870,487 Pop 718 Violent Crimes 10 Murders
New York New York 8,220,196 Pop 614 Violent Crimes 6 Murders

***Side Note, Move the **** out of Buffalo ASAP!!!! Sheesh!***

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will however admit to being too lazy/busy right now to do a proper comparison between say, NYC, Chicago, Austin and LA, though my gut tells me Austin is lowest on the crime rate list.

Your stats actually make my point for me. New York City and Austin have similar crime numbers. Actually, NY would have a far lower crime rate since the city is so much larger. Yet, the gun laws in those two cities are very different, with NY the much more restrictive.

I wouldn't say this is an argument for gun control, merely that it is unlikely that gun laws are the primary determinant of crime.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be honest, I question those numbers.
Wikipedia says NYC had 6 murders, yet the NY police disagree
http://nymag.com/news/features/crime/2008/42608/

Ah. I see where I goofed up. "Rates are based on cases per 100,000 for all of calendar 2007."

So, adjusting numbers

Texas Austin 716,817 Pop (7.16) 3,867 Violent Crimes 29 Murders
New York Buffalo 273,832 Pop (2.73) 3,481 Violent Crimes 55 Murders
Illinois Chicago 2,824,434 Pop (28.24) N/A Violent Crimes 452 Murders
California Los Angeles 3,870,487 Pop (38.7) 27,787 Violent Crimes 387 Murders
New York New York 8,220,196 Pop (82.2) 50,471 Violent Crimes 494 Murders

WKBW in Buffalo confirms my calculation of 55
http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/13488952.html

WBBM in Chicago disagrees with my calculations, but not by much.
443 murders in Chicago in 2007
http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/3279838.php?

I'll double check the other 3 when I have a minute.