The movie Groundhog Day

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the movie Groundhog Day Bull Murray plays a weatherman who experiences a day that keeps repeating himself. No matter what, he would keep waking up in the morning of that same day back in the hotel room that he was staying at. He is finally able to move on from that day when he does the right thing. In some ways, it would be great for a martial arts enthusiast to have such a day repeating himself. In the movie Bill Murray keeps taking piano lessons, ice sculpture lessons, ect. and masters those crafts. Imagine how good somebody could get in the martial arts if they were to do that same thing over and over again. Anyway, people here have said my posts can be a bit like Groundhog Day, how I keep repeating myself. Well in Groundhog Day the day finally does go on when Bull Murray does the right things. And, when I say something in a post that I've said gazillion times before it might not be saying it to the same people. In MartialTalk new people join all the time, so I could be saying it to somebody who hasn't heard it before because they're new. Also in Groundhog Day aside from doing the right thing, there was no way out of it. Before he did the right thing, Bill Murray tried just about everything to get out of it, he tried killing himself multiple times with multiple methods, you name it, but it would just keep going back to the morning in the hotel. Well, with my Groundhog Day posts there is a way out, you could simply not read them.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the movie Groundhog Day Bull Murray plays a weatherman who experiences a day that keeps repeating himself. No matter what, he would keep waking up in the morning of that same day back in the hotel room that he was staying at. He is finally able to move on from that day when he does the right thing. In some ways, it would be great for a martial arts enthusiast to have such a day repeating himself. In the movie Bill Murray keeps taking piano lessons, ice sculpture lessons, ect. and masters those crafts. Imagine how good somebody could get in the martial arts if they were to do that same thing over and over again. Anyway, people here have said my posts can be a bit like Groundhog Day, how I keep repeating myself. Well in Groundhog Day the day finally does go on when Bull Murray does the right things. And, when I say something in a post that I've said gazillion times before it might not be saying it to the same people. In MartialTalk new people join all the time, so I could be saying it to somebody who hasn't heard it before because they're new. Also in Groundhog Day aside from doing the right thing, there was no way out of it. Before he did the right thing, Bill Murray tried just about everything to get out of it, he tried killing himself multiple times with multiple methods, you name it, but it would just keep going back to the morning in the hotel. Well, with my Groundhog Day posts there is a way out, you could simply not read them.
Hmm! But he finally succeeded ... sadly? ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I posted the Groundhog Day pic in response to one of your posts. Not the most gentlemanly post I've ever done, but I was just funnin'. Sincere apologies for any offense taken. It wasn't meant to offend.

As for the film Groundhog Day, since we both kind of brought it up - I consider it brilliant. One of the most original screenplays I've ever seen. I thought it should have won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, but it wasn't even nominated. So much fun, so well cast, so funny, sad, poignant, at times dark....it just had it all. It actually takes several viewings to fully appreciate it. Film critics seem to be in agreement with that. The term "Ground Hog Day" has even become part of the American lexicon for repetition.

When asked how much time the character Phil spent in that time loop, the writers waffled between ten days and ten years. As did the cast.
Great film.

Now, if I was clever, I'd copy and paste this post again right now!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't watch it, no fighting in it. :jedi1:

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind when questions are repeated personally. On any forum for that matter, and I've never understood why some people freak out over it. The same question can be asked 100 times and have 100 different responses.

Or, the same people that replied the first time may have changed their mind and have a different opinion or experience the 100th time. Even the good ole "Did you google that" replies are unnecessary in my opinion.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted the Groundhog Day pic in response to one of your posts. Not the most gentlemanly post I've ever done, but I was just funnin'. Sincere apologies for any offense taken. It wasn't meant to offend.

As for the film Groundhog Day, since we both kind of brought it up - I consider it brilliant. One of the most original screenplays I've ever seen. I thought it should have won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, but it wasn't even nominated. So much fun, so well cast, so funny, sad, poignant, at times dark....it just had it all. It actually takes several viewings to fully appreciate it. Film critics seem to be in agreement with that. The term "Ground Hog Day" has even become part of the American lexicon for repetition.

When asked how much time the character Phil spent in that time loop, the writers waffled between ten days and ten years. As did the cast.
Great film.

Now, if I was clever, I'd copy and paste this post again right now!

BTW Buka, I can only say for myself, but I've never thought your "funnin" had ever been in malice, always in good humor.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well for the martial artist being in a situation like Groundhog Day could be ideal. You could just keep training over and over again and thus in just one day you can get really good. The day does not have to repeat itself indefinitely though, as in Groundhog Day the day finally does go on when he does the right things.

Anyway you could say my posts can be like Groundhog Day in that I keep saying the same thing, well just like in the movie Groundhog Day I will move on when I get the answers I want or when I make the points I want to make. Until then, you could say some of my posts very much are like Groundhog Day.

Latest Discussions