The Morality Quiz by Dr Johathan Haidt

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jonathan Haidt (born October 19, 1963) is a professor of psychology at the University of Virginia. His research focuses on the psychological bases of morality across different cultures and political ideology. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1992. He was awarded the Templeton Prize in Positive Psychology in 2001. His book The Happiness Hypothesis examines ten "great ideas" dating from antiquity and their continued relevance to the happy life.

Haidt is best known for what he dubs "Moral Foundations Theory", which has been reported in publications such as The Atlantic, Boston Globe, and The Huffington Post. It is also the basis of his talk given at TED.
Moral Foundations Theory looks at the way morality varies between
cultures and identifies five fundamental moral values shared to a greater or lesser degree by different societies and individuals. These are:

1. Care for others, protecting them from harm. (He also referred to this dimension as Harm.)
  2. Fairness, Justice, treating others equally.
  3. Loyalty to your group, family, nation. (He also referred to this dimension as Ingroup.)
  4. Respect for tradition and legitimate authority. (He also referred to this dimension as Authority.)
  5. Purity or Sanctity, avoiding disgusting things, foods, actions.
  6. Liberty/oppression: This foundation is about the feelings of reactance and resentment people feel toward those who dominate them and restrict their liberty.

“Jonathan Haidt is one of smartest and most creative psychologists alive, and his newest book, The Righteous Mind, is a tour de force—a brave, brilliant and eloquent exploration of the most important issues of our time. It will challenge the way you think about liberals and conservatives, atheism and religion, good and evil. This is the book that everyone will be talking about.”—Paul Bloom, Yale University, Author of How Pleasure Works

Register and learn more about yourself than you may know while contributing to Dr Haidt's research... It's quite fascinating.
http://www.yourmorals.org/index.php

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is really fascinating, thanks! One thing I just learned is that morality is a biggie for me; I rank slightly higher than conservatives and way higher than liberals (and yes, on 'personal morality', liberals rank quite low, because they haven't any). ;-)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oi! :lol:. American liberals might not have any but British Liberals do :D.

In essence, 'Personal morality/responsibility' is the foundation of the Liberal Party and it's political policies are usually aimed at allowing people to do the 'right thing'. Of course, all politics corrupts all things, sadly, so ideals are seldom lived up to for long by anyone in a position of power. For the rest of us mortal tho', Liberal is the path to go. After all Conservatives are all about making you do the right thing and Labour is about doing the right thing for you ... as always, the middle road is the most sensible one.

OP
celtic_crippler

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lot's of quizes and tests... I still haven't completed them all. It's contributing to research as well so it's a good cause. :)

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The results are interesting. I also like that it is for research, so going for a positive thing.

I found it interesting that per the results of those quizes, the two most important things to me are compassion and fairness. Some areas I was matched more with conservatives, like respect for authority, and other areas I matched up better with liberals,

OP
celtic_crippler

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
The results are interesting. I also like that it is for research, so going for a positive thing.

I found it interesting that per the results of those quizes, the two most important things to me are compassion and fairness. Some areas I was matched more with conservatives, like respect for authority, and other areas I matched up better with liberals,

Many do not realize that they are neither entirely liberal or entirely conservative. It's the powers that be that seek to polarize the people. :) Actually, recent studies show that many are socially liberal while being fiscally conservative for the most part. I found it rather enlightening myself LOL

Latest Discussions