The Miraculous Power of Fasting

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timely study was recently released (published a week ago). Conclusion is that, "Among patients with obesity, a regimen of time-restricted eating was not more beneficial with regard to reduction in body weight, body fat, or metabolic risk factors than daily calorie restriction."

In other words, if time restriction helps you remain disciplined about your caloric intake, great. It doesn't seem to hurt. But you would gain the exact same benefit from simply restricting your caloric intake and eating whenever you want.

Caloric restriction still involves insulin. Every time your insulin goes up the mechanisms for cellular repair slow way down. When you insulin goes way down the mechanisms for cellular repair shift into high gear. Here is a link that explains it a little better: Caloric Restriction vs. Fasting -The Scientific Investigation

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, so ignoring the effects of sleep deprivation (including the physical problems it can create) is strength. Got it.

Now get off that stupid high horse. You look ridiculous up there.
Gerry do you get acid reflux only when attempting to fast or do you get it other times?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Caloric restriction still involves insulin. Every time your insulin goes up the mechanisms for cellular repair slow way down. When you insulin goes way down the mechanisms for cellular repair shift into high gear. Here is a link that explains it a little better: Caloric Restriction vs. Fasting -The Scientific Investigation
So, according to Justin Nault, the owner of a Paleo diet powder company, you that you don't have to restrict your calories if you fast, and I presume use his company's products. Okay. 🤷‍♂️

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, according to Justin Nault, the owner of a Paleo diet powder company, you that you don't have to restrict your calories if you fast, and I presume use his company's products. Okay. 🤷‍♂️
I don't know anything about Justin Nault or the product, I simply linked this because it explained the findings of the Harvard study I posted earlier in plain language.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Justin Nault or the product, I simply linked this because it explained the findings of the Harvard study I posted earlier in plain language.
I does? I didn't see any connection or reference. Sorry if I'm being dense.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have not.
It's awesome. DiCaprio, Nicholson, and Marky Wahlberg all in one film.

Oh and Alec Baldwin's commander is priceless. The head in the bowl of icewater thing, that's real.

Oh and Martin Sheen.

Last edited:

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's awesome. DiCaprio, Nicholson, and Marky Wahlberg all in one film.

Oh and Alec Baldwin's commander is priceless. The head in the bowl of icewater thing, that's real.

Oh and Martin Sheen.

I don't see a lot of movies these days. Not since I was a young man.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
When an expert in the exact field tells me something, I tend to believe him over someone who is not anything like an expert in the field. Again, you are more than free to believe what you will. I'm really not bothered.
Really?

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've practiced intermittent fasting for the past couple of years, mostly for longevity reasons. I want to live a while to enjoy my military retirement. By intermittent fasting I mean I eat one meal a day (OMAD), sometimes two meals a day (2MAD). In other words most days I don't eat any food or drink calories for at least 16 hours a day.

Once or twice a year I do a prolonged fast which I would define as not eating food or drinking calories for a period greater than 24 hours.

Last fall I was building a shed and fell off a 6 foot ladder. On the way to the ground my shoulder struck a work table. At the time I thought it had just knocked the wind out of me. But a few days later my left shoulder experienced extreme pain. It hurt when I moved it, and it even hurt when I didn't move anything. I went to my GP who prescribed some pretty serious pain killers which didn't help all that much. I got a referral to an orthopedic doctor who gave me steroid injections to my shoulder.

An interesting thing happened, my left shoulder improved but then my right shoulder started hurting even worse than the left one was. To me that was very strange. The orthopedic doctor said I had been over compensating with my right side because the left was out of use and I strained it too. She put me in physical therapy.

Three months of physical therapy and I still had pain though much of the range of motion and function had returned, I still felt weak.

Bear in mind, I am a Hapkido teacher and I didn't neglect my students. I couldn't mix it up with them but I still came to every practice and guided them verbally as much as I could and only went hands on when I had to. Pain was just constant, always there. The painkillers would reduce it some but after a few hours it would be back.

Saturday night I ate with my family and decided maybe it is time to fast again for a few days. All I permitted myself was water, herbal tea, and black coffee. No food so no pain killers. After 24 hours of fasting I noticed the pain was greatly reduced, I suspect this represents a reduction in inflammation primarily. I pulled up a graph by Dr. Mindy Pelz, a YouTuber I follow. Her fasting graph is based on three massive studies which are cited at the bottom of the graph.

You can see her chart here: Fasting Benefits Chart

By hour 46 of my fast the pain was completely gone! A fast of that duration would have numerous health benefits but the one I think I am experiencing is an increase in musculoskeletal stem cells which begins around hour 20 and really starts to amp up around hour 45. No pain, no pain meds, I feel like a new man.

At hour 50 I went and taught Hapkido, I was able to get in there and physically mix it up with my students which felt great! I went home after and still no pain. Today is the day after and I feel fine. As I write this I am at hour 61. According to Dr. Pelz's chart musculoskeletal stem cell production will peak at hour 72-75 and then it just kind of hangs there at max stem cell production.

I'm planning to break my fast at hour 67 and have dinner with my family. I'll be curious to see if the pain returns after eating. I'll let you guys know.

After a winter of pain I feel like a miracle happened.
Apologies if this seems pessimistic in an way, but are there any scientific journals that anyone knows of that have confirmed the stem cell production at 72-75hrs? I'm interested to give it another run. I've experimented with I.F. and had some weight loss benefit, but nothing toward increased injury recovery or noticeably increased energy levels.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Does anyone see in that study (you can follow the link in the article) a clear description of the fasting protocol? (I'm dealing with some nerve pain today and having trouble focusing, so may have just missed it.)

EDIT: @Steve you're pretty good at reading these.
I don't know "good", but I do like reading them. :)

Latest Discussions