The Miraculous Power of Fasting

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get it? He's irritable from several days of the cranberry juice fasting. Ta-da!

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Get it? He's irritable from several days of the cranberry juice fasting. Ta-da!
Cranberry juice causes kidney stones. Repeated dehydration causes kidney stones. Bad combo. The wrestler would have nothing in season, 30-40 beers off season.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been a lot of claims made in this thread. Some pretty reasonable. Some a bit sketchy. And some flat out ridiculous.
Intermittent fasting, with fasts up to 16 hours, have been shown to have some potential benefits.
Can you stop eating for a week? Sure, most people can. But it's extremely unhealthy.
Can you stop drinking for a week? No. You cannot. It's ridiculous to even consider. Most people can survive 2-3 days without drinking, but they are going to be miserable. 4-5 days without water, while working out 8 hours a day? Nope. That's not happening. If you're still alive 5 days in, you're going to be in the ICU with multiple organ failure.

1650646369333.png

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There have been a lot of claims made in this thread. Some pretty reasonable. Some a bit sketchy. And some flat out ridiculous.
Intermittent fasting, with fasts up to 16 hours, have been shown to have some potential benefits.
Can you stop eating for a week? Sure, most people can. But it's extremely unhealthy.
Can you stop drinking for a week? No. You cannot. It's ridiculous to even consider. Most people can survive 2-3 days without drinking, but they are going to be miserable. 4-5 days without water, while working out 8 hours a day? Nope. That's not happening. If you're still alive 5 days in, you're going to be in the ICU with multiple organ failure.
You were never 19 years old? Different times, different generations, I guess.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
" Cranberry contains high amounts of oxalate, which causes kidney stones."

Read that. Cranberry juice doesn't cause the stones. Dehydration does.

Cigarettes cause cancer. That's a science fact. Cranberry causing stones? I don't think so.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Read that. Cranberry juice doesn't cause the stones. Dehydration does.

Cigarettes cause cancer. That's a science fact. Cranberry causing stones? I don't think so.
Go talk to my urologist about it. Are you a urologist?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You were never 19 years old? Different times, different generations, I guess.
Yes, I was. But because I was a 19 year old HUMAN, I didn't go 5 days without drinking anything while working out 8 hours a day.
You can tell I didn't, because I'm alive. And I can still pee.
" Cranberry contains high amounts of oxalate, which causes kidney stones."
Poorly worded. A diet high in oxylate increases the chances of developing kidney stones.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I was. But because I was a 19 year old HUMAN, I didn't go 5 days without drinking anything while working out 8 hours a day.
You can tell I didn't, because I'm alive. And I can still pee.

So am I and so can I. If you've lived a more sheltered life, good for you I guess.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So am I and so can I. If you've lived a more sheltered life, good for you I guess.
You kind of remind me another person who used to post here. That person also made ridiculous claims. As I recall, he claimed to have gotten what, from his description, was a large flail chest. And that despite that injury (which he claimed someone reduced at the event) he continued fighting in a tournament.
Sort of like going without any intake at all for 5 days while working out 8+ hours a day. Never happened.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sort of like going without any intake at all for 5 days while working out 8+ hours a day. Never happened.

Believe whatever you want. Not sure why this particular reality is making you so defensive, but that's up to you. It was not particularly unusual among the highly competitive back in my day and days before that. Not every young man was as fragile and frightened as today's youth.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe whatever you want. Not sure why this particular reality is making you so defensive, but that's up to you. It was not particularly unusual among the highly competitive back in my day and days before that. Not every young man was as fragile and frightened as today's youth.
Because it defies possibility.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go talk to my urologist about it. Are you a urologist?
I don't need to study urology to know what you said isn't true. Nothing in the medical literature claims cranberry juice causes any illness.

But if it does...let's pretend for a second...where are the warning labels on cranberry juice? Think of the young children just filling up their poor bodies with vitamin C and other antioxidants!!

Now if you'd said "grapefruit juice", I'm all for warning labels on that stuff. Toxic! There are literally a million medications and supplements that Should Not Ever be taken with grapefruit.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't need to study urology to know what you said isn't true. ...
I don't know what to tell you, my urologist told me one thing and some faceless whoever on the internet says something else. I think I know who I'll trust. You are free to believe what you will with my best wishes.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you, my urologist told me one thing and some faceless whoever on the internet says something else. I think I know who I'll trust. You are free to believe what you will with my best wishes.
Whatever your urologist told you doesn't mean cranberry juice causes internal stones.

What does my face have to do with the relative safety of cranberry juice, compared to god-knows-what-else you've put in your body? Or what you've neglected?

You don't drink enough water, do you? I can always spot you, because I was you, once. If you actually read all the dietary advice in this thread (yours, as well as the MD) you should come away with a strong desire to aqua-fy.

Latest Discussions