The Meaning of Ninja

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OMG... Takamatsu wasn't irish?

What the hell was I thinking all this time???

LOL.

Don you crack me up.

When you say no one in the Bujinkan in Japan uses it, you are refering to Osensei, not ninja, corret? Or do you perhaps mean both?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
It's not fair. I have done plenty of research on the Bujinkan
I'm not convinced.

Hanzo04 said:
and no I don't take ninjutsu now (i will in the spring).
No you won't, you will be practicing Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

I tend to take the same stance about referring to yourself as a ninja/samurai as I do about training with the Genbukan and Jinenkan - if you can talk about doing so in front of Hatsumi sensei, then by all means...

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
When you say no one in the Bujinkan in Japan uses it, you are refering to Osensei, not ninja, corret? Or do you perhaps mean both?

O'sensei. The N word is actually thrown around a lot. My teacher is big on pointing out that the original name for this art is Ninpo taijutsu and reminds us that the job of the ninja was not to trash the other guy, but to get back with the information. Therefore, running away is a distinguished part of our art.
:CTF:

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the job of the ninja was not to trash the other guy,
So taking him out for a few drinks is out of the question?

Yeah, I think thats one thing many arent aware of when it comes to Taijutsu, Aikido, etc . for instance, someone will say "why didnt you kick his knee in then follow up with a punch combo after you blinded him" and the reason is that takes up precious time and energy when you can be escaping. sounds rather "common sense" but its true.

OP
H

Hanzo04

You still don't get it! Don Roley just proved my point of putting somebody down to make themselves feel better about their low self-esteem. You're all a bunch of lames including

OP
G

Genin Andrew

Hanzo,
You really need to be a little more lighthearted and relaxed when entering forums and hearing what people have to say. Alot of the time your not gonna get happy smiley responses. The problem you have here is that all/most of us here are serious practitioners of ninjutsu, this is a ninjutsu forum. We all train very hard and do alot of research to develop in our art and understand it further.
My advice, do a search before you ask questions, alot of the guys here get newbs coming in all the time with the same questions, whats a ninja,how do i assassinate people, how do you make smoke bombs,are there still real ninja, are ninja-to real swords? and it all gets very tiring and tedious...

Also if you want a good comprehensive knowledge of what a "ninja" is check out Hatsumi's book 'The essence of ninjutsu', its a special book and i'm sure will answer your questions if you take the time to read it.

best of luck with your research.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Genin Andrew said:
Also if you want a good comprehensive knowledge of what a "ninja" is check out Hatsumi's book 'The essence of ninjutsu', its a special book and i'm sure will answer your questions if you take the time to read it.
This reminds me that no matter how much people insist the art is Taijutsu, when it comes time to sell something, it's almost certainly got 'Ninja' or 'Ninjutsu' in the title. E.g., this 2004 book by Maasaki Hatsumi, or this 2004 DVD. The "Understand? Good. Play!--Words of Consequence" book is a rare counterexample.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
You still don't get it! Don Roley just proved my point of putting somebody down to make themselves feel better about their low self-esteem. You're all a bunch of lames including

I suggest you lighten up and improve your attitude. My post was not a put down of you. It was very relevent to the conversation by pointing out problems that you have caused. The post above it one of them.

Calling everyone a" bunch of lames" is a good example of why you are having so much trouble posting here. If you keep that attitude up, don't be surprised if people snap right back at you and make fun of you when they can.

As a moderator, I have to clean up after the messes you cause. Cause me too much trouble and you will find yourself with the others who tried insulting people on a regular basis.

OP
H

Hanzo04

Like i said, i proved my point. i don't start arguments, you start them by making fun of my posts. Thanks for the "intelligent" answers everybody. And you'll be happy to learn that I am deleting my profile. So now you won't get anymore "trouble" out of me. Hanzo out! :mp5:

OP
G

Genin Andrew

arnisador,

apologies for the 'annoying salesman' habits!

OP
G

Genin Andrew

Looks like i just lost a client...:whip:

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
This reminds me that no matter how much people insist the art is Taijutsu, when it comes time to sell something, it's almost certainly got 'Ninja' or 'Ninjutsu' in the title. E.g., this 2004 book by Maasaki Hatsumi, or this 2004 DVD. The "Understand? Good. Play!--Words of Consequence" book is a rare counterexample.
And?

None of these examples actually suggest that you are learning ninjutsu, as opposed to taijutsu, whilst training in the Bujinkan.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
Like i said, i proved my point. i don't start arguments, you start them by making fun of my posts. Thanks for the "intelligent" answers everybody. And you'll be happy to learn that I am deleting my profile. So now you won't get anymore "trouble" out of me. Hanzo out! :mp5:

So, why do you think people are making fun of your post? A lot of people post and do not get made fun of. So it can't be a forum tendency. So, could the problems be with the immature way you present yourself?

If you take responsibility for the way you present yourself instead of lashing out and calling everyone 'lame' when things do not go your own way, maybe you may get a bit more serious treatment.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Genin Andrew said:
arnisador,

apologies for the 'annoying salesman' habits!
I wonder if it's even a decision made by the author, as opposed to the publisher. Once they get the material, they can usually label it as they wish.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha ha. yeah, I can be pretty lame huh? good analysis. are you a detective? haha.

And?

None of these examples actually suggest that you are learning ninjutsu, as opposed to taijutsu, whilst training in the Bujinkan.
It seems just the opposite. They dont appear divided (at least in my, the beginner's, mind) but rather unified and only with training can you actually pick out the "Ninjutsu" in BBT. I have been known to be wrong though.....from time to time....

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
And?

True, but I don't think that any of them suggest that you are learning taijutsu as opposed to ninjutsu either. And when an instructional book/DVD has the word ninja or ninjutsu in the title, I would venture to guess that the vast majority of people are going to assume that it teaches ninjutsu...

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ginshun said:
True, but I don't think that any of them suggest that you are learning taijutsu as opposed to ninjutsu either.
Their contents do, however.

Look closer...

ginshun said:
And when an instructional book/DVD has the word ninja or ninjutsu in the title, I would venture to guess that the vast majority of people are going to assume that it teaches ninjutsu...
None of the examples mentioned had the word ninjutsu in the title. And the fact remains, showing up at a Bujinkan dojo hoping to learn how to make poison, slit people's throats from behind and/or scale walls and jump between rooftops is kind of like showing up at the Betty Ford clinic in a vomit-ridden taxi with a lampshade on your head and several syringe marks on your forearm...

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
Their contents do, however.

Look closer...

None of the examples mentioned had the word ninjutsu in the title. And the fact remains, showing up at a Bujinkan dojo hoping to learn how to make poison, slit people's throats from behind and/or scale walls and jump between rooftops is kind of like showing up at the Betty Ford clinic in a vomit-ridden taxi with a lampshade on your head and several syringe marks on your forearm...
point taken.

There is really no use in arguing anyway, as it pretty much boils down to semantics in the end.

Latest Discussions