A question about MMA's poplarity

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been looking at the mixed martial arts and wondering why the sudden popularity increase.

Do you think because of the UFC coming to public tv and not just as Pay Per View, this has resulted in a increase on people joining martial arts?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am not trying to take anything away from MMA here and I am probably setting myself up for an MMA vs. TMA argument,...

But I think it is popular right now because it is new to the public eye and easy to understand. Not easy to do mind you, but easier to understand what it is about and what its philosophy is.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Again nothing new, but it's on tv, it's got a lot of marketing power and money behind it, it's almost like the wrestling in the States I'd imagine. Whatever generates interest in the arts is good in my books though, so whether it be a kung fu movie, an aikido documentary, or the UFC blasting onto your telly, I think it's had a great effect.

OP
Jesse

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ohh I'm not bashing on the mainstream UFC, I think its great that the public eye is realizing that this stuff can actually be used in real life situations.

I'm just not liking the fact that there not showing the respect and the character that martial arts gives a person. Where as with UFC it seems like you just there to crush the other person so you better then the next.

But whatever helps the martial arts society is alright with me. Just means the instructor needs to get through that thick head that its almost more mental then physical.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jesse said:
Ohh I'm not bashing on the mainstream UFC, I think its great that the public eye is realizing that this stuff can actually be used in real life situations.

I'm just not liking the fact that there not showing the respect and the character that martial arts gives a person. Where as with UFC it seems like you just there to crush the other person so you better then the next.

But whatever helps the martial arts society is alright with me. Just means the instructor needs to get through that thick head that its almost more mental then physical.

I think that's the nature of the (Western - US based) society we live in. It's in kids everywhere. That whole "whatevaaah", "I don't give a **** about anything" attitude. So yeah, it's MA, but the characters in it are there to sell tickets and become TV personalities too. Let's face it, in the throw away society that we live in, a lot of people want to see some loud mouth "from da hood" than a well mannered, polite, humble fighter who comes in and methodically takes someone apart. Though I gotta say, I was surprised by the likes of Matt Hughes and that other guy Franklyn (Sp?) and how articulate they both were. Goes against some of the fighters I've seen. Good on 'em.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesse said:
I've been looking at the mixed martial arts and wondering why the sudden popularity increase.

Do you think because of the UFC coming to public tv and not just as Pay Per View, this has resulted in a increase on people joining martial arts?

Yes, I would have to say that PPV as well as TUF show that is on tv plays a big part in its popularity. There has always been grappling, such as Judo, but IMO, MMA really took off back in '93.

Mike

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jesse said:
I'm just not liking the fact that there not showing the respect and the character that martial arts gives a person.

Thats because it doesn't. A good person is a good person, and a hard worker is a hard worker, and a humble person is a humble person, no matter what they do.

Sorry to single you out like this, but the 'martial arts make you a better person' spiels are a bit of a pet peeve.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Adept[B said:
]Thats because it doesn't[/B]. A good person is a good person, and a hard worker is a hard worker, and a humble person is a humble person, no matter what they do.

Sorry to single you out like this, but the 'martial arts make you a better person' spiels are a bit of a pet peeve.

Perhaps it can to some/many? Years of hard training/discipline/respect for people you train with/increase of self belief/confidence although doesn't automatically make you a better person, to say "that's because it doesn't" is also pretty arbitrary.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Perhaps it can to some/many? Years of hard training/discipline/respect for people you train with/increase of self belief/confidence although doesn't automatically make you a better person, to say "that's because it doesn't" is also pretty arbitrary.

It's my personal opinion that someone with the ability and persistance to put in years of hard self improvement for anything will share a similar, if not identical result. It's not a thing isolated to martial arts.

OP
Jesse

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
Thats because it doesn't. A good person is a good person, and a hard worker is a hard worker, and a humble person is a humble person, no matter what they do.

Ya of course there will always be a bad seed in the bunch, but I believe for the most part that most people after the determination and the training that a student gets with MA I think they start to look at things alittle more differently.
I'm just wondering if people are watching these shows and thinking that its something that you can learn in a weekend and then all of a sudden be a cage fighter. Maybe a person can, buts its one thing to go in there and start swinging and then there is another thing where a person is trained and like chess is always 2 steps ahead.

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
People looking for straight-forward solutions latch on to the mma, and there are more people than ever like that.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think the sudden interest is more to do with people who have never seen real violence first hand, wanting to watch two guys beat the living crap out of each other. Simply put its as close to a Van Damme movie in the real life, iconicly, as most people will ever see.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jesse said:

I guess I don't get that from it. Almost every fight that Ive seen ends with the fighters hugging each other and showing mutual respect.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you stand toe to toe with somone and try to beat each others brains out it tends to develop kind of respect even if you hate the guy.

What is popular in the ars has changed every 8-10 years is so. Today its MMA, tomorow who knows.
It's out there in font of people onTV and gets PR all over the place, so more people are aware of it

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree witrh Adept. *If* you have the personality to work hard and excel *then* MA becomes a place to apply that . MA training does not make you a better person, otherwise we would have less dropouts who have up and less jerks who stayed in.

They way I look at it, MA does not teach me humility, but if I want to excel then I realize I can only go so far on natural talent and I have to humble myself to my teacher and fellow students. It still has to come form me to see that humilty is neccessary to excel and that excellence is more important to me than pride.

I learned that the hard was as a musician. As a yongster I was pretty good and thought I was *really* good. I would not listen to really good players, or read articles on theory that I knew were beyond me..or..anything. I didn't want to crush my ego of what I thought I was as a player so humbling myself to those around me who were much better....too my a long time to learn to do that. The drive for my own excellence that I had as a person led me to realize that I would need to humble myself if I was to improve, so I did. Music didn't teach my humility, desire for excellence did.

You don't learn patience doing MA, you learn that excellence requires repetition and repetition requires the need to put up with some boredom of doing the same drill a thousand times and then doing it again.

MA does not give you any character. MA just gives you a target, and to stive for excellence toward that target can help illuminate the things in your life you need to change..and many of them are indeed good. (If your goal is good)

Latest Discussions