The Many Vacations of Dubya.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20031001.html

" Until now, probably no modern president was a more famous vacationer than Ronald Reagan, who loved spending time at his ranch in Santa Barbara, Calif. According to an Associated Press count, Reagan spent all or part of 335 days in Santa Barbara over his eight-year presidency -- a total that Bush will surpass this month in Crawford with 3 1/2 years left in his second term. "
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/02/AR2005080201703_pf.html

" Number of days, so far, President Bush has spent on his ranch in Crawford, TX during his time in office: 319 (about 20 percent)"
http://www.tompaine.com/articles/20050803/bushs_vacation.php

Now that we've established that Dubya spends 20-30% of his time "On Vacation", and established that much of that time is spent "Working and getting a fresh perspective", I have to ask a few questions.

1 - Given the responsibilities of the position, is that excessive and irresponsible?

2 - Does the fact that he is not in Washington at his desk effect, impair or otherwise diminish his ability?

3 - Is it fair that he can do that, while many hard working Americans can't afford to take so much as a week off, and have in fact gone several years without one? I know several people who work 7 days a week, and haven't had a real vacation in years.

Lets be blunt here folks. Whereever he is, there is a mobile command room at his fingertips. In an emergency, he can be relocated in a very short period of time to where he needs to be, all the while being fed tactical and stratigic information.

If getting out of the office helps him gather his thought and focus better, I for one won't stand in his way.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bester said:
1 - Given the responsibilities of the position, is that excessive and irresponsible?

2 - Does the fact that he is not in Washington at his desk effect, impair or otherwise diminish his ability?

3 - Is it fair that he can do that, while many hard working Americans can't afford to take so much as a week off, and have in fact gone several years without one? I know several people who work 7 days a week, and haven't had a real vacation in years.

Lets be blunt here folks. Whereever he is, there is a mobile command room at his fingertips. In an emergency, he can be relocated in a very short period of time to where he needs to be, all the while being fed tactical and stratigic information.

If getting out of the office helps him gather his thought and focus better, I for one won't stand in his way.
I think it depends upon whether his time in Crawford is a "vacation" or simply a change in residence. Personally, I am less concerned with where he works than with how.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is a presidential vacation? Same job with a change of residence and scenary. It's nothing but rhetoric and propaganda. It's a debate ploy who's purpose is to insinuate something that really isn't, and that is that Bush is spending all this time doing nothing, when in reality he is doing the same job in Texas that he would be doing in the White House. A presidential vacation is not a vacation at all.

http://sayanythingblog.com/2005/08/03/the-president-on-vacation-myth/

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
What is a presidential vacation? Same job with a change of residence and scenary. It's nothing but rhetoric and propaganda. It's a debate ploy who's purpose is to insinuate something that really isn't, and that is that Bush is spending all this time doing nothing, when in reality he is doing the same job in Texas that he would be doing in the White House. A presidential vacation is not a vacation at all.
Really? So what's he up to all day, every day?

M

MisterMike

I'm guessing talking to advisors. Maybe you could schedule a field trip to the white house for more info...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
I'm guessing talking to advisors. Maybe you could schedule a field trip to the white house for more info...

Dude,

I have a hard enough time getting into work, let alone traveling by airplane, you think I should go there and ask to talk to him directly? I would be lucky to be allowed in with the public tours.

** /sarcasm

Actually a good idea, I just could not resist my little issue with his homeland security act.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Instead of Camp David, Bush goes to his ranch. The Presidents never on "Vacation" in the way we think of it.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
Really? So what's he up to all day, every day?
According to the Concord Monitor

"To Bush and his advisers, that criticism fundamentally misunderstands his Texas sojourns. Those who think he does not remain in command, aides say, do not understand the modern presidency or Bush's own work habits. At the ranch, White House officials say, Bush continues to receive daily national security briefings, sign documents, hold teleconferences with aides and military commanders, and even meet with foreign leaders. And from the president's point of view, the long Texas stints are the best way to clear his mind and reconnect with everyday America. "

"Bush will not return to the White House until after Labor Day, but his staff has peppered his schedule with events to dispel any impression that he is not on duty. He will visit at least seven states, mostly with quick day trips, including New Mexico, where he plans to sign energy legislation into law. He gets off to a quick start this week, with a speech Wednesday in nearby Grapevine, Texas, then he plays host to President Alvaro Uribe of Colombia at the ranch Thursday. His schedule is clear Friday through Sunday. "

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050804/REPOSITORY/508040341/1013/NEWS03

Sounds like he's loafing to me... I never understood the fascination that people have with whether Bush is in DC or in Crawford, he does the same job, he keeps the same busy schedule. I guess it just sounds good to say "Bush is on vacation...again" even if it's not exactly an accurate description of what's occurring. It's not the reality that matters, I guess, merely the soundbite that can be distorted out of it.

But hey, if Bush's critics are wasting time on this non-issue, it frees up opposition in other areas.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Instead of Camp David, Bush goes to his ranch. The Presidents never on "Vacation" in the way we think of it.

Yeah...he's so busy he can't take the time to talk to the woman camped outside of his ranch who lost a son in Iraq. Nor can he hop on a plane to fly to Ohio to meet with the families of nineteen Marine reservists killed in two days...fourteen in one bomb blast. Five of those reservists, apparently, were the snipers I mentioned in another thread.

Bush has spent 319 days in Crawford. Nearly 20 percent of his Presidency to date. He's gone there 49 times. Reagan had 335 days of vacation in California in eight years. Bush will surpass that with this vacation, and with three and a half years left in his second term.

He works out two hours a day...can't fault him that, of course, as we must stay fit...but he's disinclined to work nights and weekends.

Of course, according to his defenders, Bush continues to receive daily national-security briefings, sign documents, hold teleconferences with aides and military commanders, and even meet with foreign leaders. On this vacation he'll make day trips to seven states. Whee...day trips!

He was in Crawford a month before 9-11, however, and somehow missed the brief on the potential for Al Qaeda plane hijacks. That brief was taken to Crawford in August.

Maybe George was mountain biking at the time.

Regards,

Steve

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Yeah...he's so busy he can't take the time to talk to the woman camped outside of his ranch who lost a son in Iraq. Nor can he hop on a plane to fly to Ohio to meet with the families of nineteen Marine reservists killed in two days...fourteen in one bomb blast. Five of those reservists, apparently, were the snipers I mentioned in another thread.
Now really, why would he voluntarily participate in this obvious publicity stunt? What she and her handlers do and say to damage the president is their business, but to voluntarily help them, when his participation can only hurt him, not help him as they have no intention of really discussing anything, would make him the moron. No thanks.

hardheadjarhead said:
Bush has spent 319 days in Crawford. Nearly 20 percent of his Presidency to date. He's gone there 49 times. Reagan had 335 days of vacation in California in eight years. Bush will surpass that with this vacation, and with three and a half years left in his second term.
Yeah, but you haven't established how a day in Crawford is any different than a day in DC. I can't understand why anyone would go to Texas in August in the first place.

hardheadjarhead said:
He works out two hours a day...can't fault him that, of course, as we must stay fit...but he's disinclined to work nights and weekends.
If you work all day, all week, it's kind of hard to work nights and weekends. Especially at 60.

hardheadjarhead said:
Of course, according to his defenders, Bush continues to receive daily national-security briefings, sign documents, hold teleconferences with aides and military commanders, and even meet with foreign leaders. On this vacation he'll make day trips to seven states. Whee...day trips!
Yeah, day trips in addition to hosting meetings at Crawford, receiving foreign leaders, etc. Again, you've yet to show me how the change of location is anything more than...a change of location.

hardheadjarhead said:
He was in Crawford a month before 9-11, however, and somehow missed the brief on the potential for Al Qaeda plane hijacks. That brief was taken to Crawford in August.
Really, the brief that said that Al Qaeda was going to hijack planes and fly them in to the WTC? Distorting reality doesn't change the fact that a change of location really isn't a change at all. Until you can illustrate how this is nothing more than rhetorical fodder, it's a dead issue.

hardheadjarhead said:
Maybe George was mountain biking at the time.

Regards,
Keep in mind that the planning for 9/11 took place over several years. Further more, many who were a part of the national security intelligence apparatus at the time of 9/11 were Clinton appointees that Bush left on after the election until he could fill the slots. They had been part of the Clinton administration for several years. They missed 9/11, despite their "Years of experience" under Clinton. I'm not sure what Bush was supposed to see that their experienced eyes didn't.

Regards

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I think it depends upon whether his time in Crawford is a "vacation" or simply a change in residence. Personally, I am less concerned with where he works than with how.

well said. :)

all this vacation crap. just another stone thrown out of desperation and unjust criticism

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alot of people critisize Bush. Some of it is fitting, some is not.

Personally, I think the man is a moron, is unfit to be president, and has the communications skills of a rock. That said, it is unfair to blame him for everything that is wrong. He's 1 man. He's the President, he's not the King. There are 200 senators and 570(?) representatives in Washington who are just as much to blame for what is wrong as he is. They make the laws, they pass the laws, he just ok's them, and while he can veto them, his veto can be overruled.

He's just the guy who gets all the grief, a figurehead for our anger. He's part of the problems, but he's not the whole problem. If people don't like what's coming out of Washington, they need to stop bitching about it, get off their asses and put more qualified people in those jobs. Blaming Bush for everything is bull.

And for those who want to believe that the deck is stacked, and so corrupt that it can't be fixed, I say go pick up a gun, lay your life on the line and fight for it. Jefferson said revolution is good, so go revolt. Wait, it's not so bad that you'll try taking out an main battle tank with your 22? Fine. Then go do it the other ways that usually won't result in being hung as a traitor.

A little strong? Maybe. But as much as I dislike, maybe even hate Bush, I don't think it's right to blame him for every wrong. He's part of the government. He's not the whole government. The other 700 morons out there share the blame as well.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Dude,

I have a hard enough time getting into work, let alone traveling by airplane, you think I should go there and ask to talk to him directly? I would be lucky to be allowed in with the public tours.

** /sarcasm

Actually a good idea, I just could not resist my little issue with his homeland security act.
Incidently, I just returned from a family vacation to DC. If you want to go on a tour of the Whitehouse, you need to get your congress representative to vouch for you. Then you need to get an FBI background check. There is more, but I didn't want to go through the hassle. The process takes months.

Also, congress is in recess in August. The capitol is pretty dead. DC is hot and muggy and it sucks to be outside. If I were the pres, I'd use the time to get out of town and catch a few fish.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
But as much as I dislike, maybe even hate Bush, I don't think it's right to blame him for every wrong. He's part of the government. He's not the whole government.

What? We can't task him for his failings?

He is the leader of the most powerful nation in the world, and the only President in history who has filled three books full of malaprops and spoonerisms.

He alone made the decision for sending troops to Iraq. As I've detailed elsewhere in an extensive debate with Whitebirch some months ago, Congress authorized him to use force against Iraq in accordance with the decisions of the UN Security Council. He didn't seek support or validation from the Council, and the President of the UN has described the subsequent invasion of Iraq as illegal. I posted the Congressional authorization for the President's use of force...reading it clearly indicates that no Senator "voted for the war," as Bush himself put it. Certainly the Senate was cowed, as was most of Congress, and sheepishly went along with it...but Bush made the decision to go, ordered the debarkation, and--as evidence clearly shows--knew all along that his reasons were for doing so were fabricated.

George Tenet, director of the CIA resigns over the "intelligence failure," and is given the Medal of Freedom. Joseph Wilson calls B.S. on the fabricated intelligence prior to the invasion and his wife's CIA career is ruined by the administration. That was NOT the Senate's doing, Bob.

Over a thousand dead soldiers in Iraq and he publicly jokes about his failure to find WMD's-- a disgusting display of insensitivity to the family members of the dead.

He's never vetoed a spending bill. Not once. Ever. He's never vetoed ANY bill.

His personal history is embarrassing. A DUI, an arrest for theft, taking a bye on Vietnam by getting into the Air NG (and skipping drills), drug use that he wouldn't take responsibility for and that has recently been revealed through taped interviews with him...and we are asked to dismiss it all as the folly of youth. Only the fortunes of a scion got him off from those indiscretions...any of us would have been seriously hammered for them.

And the guy takes more vacations than any of us...and by many accounts works a lot less than a lot of us.

So, given that I'm against his stated and enacted policies, his damnable behavior and speaking ineptitude--for which no other person can be held responsible--I'm putting him in the dock.

Regards,

Steve

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Steve,
I never said don't take him to task over his failings. I think my past posts will indicate exactly what level of contempt I hold for his lies and actions.

I'm just saying, he's not the only one accountable for this crap. It's the rest of those self-serving cowards in Washington as well. Those sheep who in a fit of urine-soaked pants wetting signed into law some of the most represive laws ever. Who'se paniced fear allowed them to strip more and more of our liberties and rights away. Who looked the other way and allowed this war in Iraq to happen while ignoring the war in Afghanastan and OBL to fade away. Those same sheep who are more than happy to pass bills containing over 10,000 pages, many pages of which none of them have even glanced at, because they are "too busy" to read **** before they pass it. These "career" congressmen who get to vote themselves pay raises every year, who get their hair cuts, health care and gas paid for by us, while the rest of us go through life without health care, paying for our own hair cuts, and trying to figure out if we can afford the ever rising cost of gas and the related inflation on every thing else we pay for.

No, I never said don't blame him for his faults.

But I am saying, blame the rest of those sorry sonsofbitches as well.

OP
Bester

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Ya know, Reagan set a vacation record, had a reputation as a comedian, and was constantly ripped as a bufoon. I remember old SNL sketches about him that were less than flattering.

Who is to say that in 25 years, Dubya isn't remembered just as fondly?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
If I were the pres, I'd use the time to get out of town and catch a few fish.
I'm not the pres ... but I work for a living.

And I did just that .... The new avatar is a 17" Quebec Brook Trout, just before being released. I also caught and released a 38" Northern Pike on a 6 weight fly rod, with a 1x tapered leader ... no wire. Also caught several 5+ pound lake trout. The best fish was a 20" female brook trout on an 8 White Wulff.

Oh, and by the way, the Title and the Job are two different things. It would be best to not confuse the two. Mr. Bush holds the title of President 24 hours a day, seven days a week (at least until his impeachment). But, that is not the same thing as doing the job of President. Mr. Bush is reportedly in bed by 10:00 PM every night. Takes two hour breaks for bike rides and naps mid-day. And when the secure airspase in Washington DC is comprimised, the Secret Service have demonstrated that they need not disturb this 'Presidential Activity'.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bush does enough to make himself look like a fool that you libs should be able to come up with valid things to critisize him about.

Vacation time however, isn't one of them. Everybody knows that the president doesn't get a vaction the same as you and I do. I have seen nothing to establish that a day in Crawford is significantly different than a day in DC.

Bike rides, exersize, not talking to crazy ladies, blah, blah, blah. All that stuff is taking place exactly as it would as if he were in Washington.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ginshun said:
I have seen nothing to establish that a day in Crawford is significantly different than a day in DC.
That you have "seen nothing" says much.

Please see the Presidential Daily Brief from August 6, 2001.

Your comment, with the facts included in this memo, speaks volumes about the amount of time the President spends on vacation, regardless of location.

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The President of the United States is NEVER on vacation. It is a 24/7 job no matter where he is.

If you want to talk about irresponsible use of recreation time, let's talk about the the time Bin Laden was pinned down and ready to be arrested on the approval of the President clinton. But billy boy was playing a round of golf and refused to take calls, once again letting Bin Laden continue in his war against the U.S.

Jim Mc Coy

Latest Discussions