"The League of Fistmasters"

HAcerkman

White Belt
Reaction score
Gentlemen, would like to get your take on this article that appeared in a local Kentucky newspaper. Introducing the "League of Fistmasters", part of a Kempo school. It's my understanding that the "Soke" has been talked about quite a bit in the past.

Mixing Christianity with self-defense

Is it me, or are there more masters / grandmasters than in all of Japan here?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some organizations give out high belt ranks and "master/grandmaster/soke" titles like Halloween candy. It doesn't necessarily mean anything one way or another about their actual skill as martial artists. From a little digging around, I believe the martial arts history and "Japanese" culture this organization is promoting are not particularly accurate, but that probably doesn't matter much to most of their students.

I just want to say that "League of Fistmasters" would be a great name for a secret society of evil martial artists in an old Batman comic from the Silver Age.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds more like a title for an adult movie.

Totally beat me to it....

"...beat me..."
rolling.gif

Imagine the trailers, though....voice over:In a world where a Christian martial arts sokey-dokey grandmaster headmaster founder Sensei ....<sexually explicit adult content deleted>......Enter the Fistmaster!
rolling.gif

".....enter!" (chortle!)
rolling.gif
rolling.gif

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Totally beat me to it....

"...beat me..."
rolling.gif

Imagine the trailers, though....voice over:In a world where a Christian martial arts sokey-dokey grandmaster headmaster founder Sensei ....<sexually explicit adult content deleted>......Enter the Fistmaster!
rolling.gif

".....enter!" (chortle!)
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
Wow. Just, wow. I've got nothing...

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gentlemen, would like to get your take on this article that appeared in a local Kentucky newspaper. Introducing the "League of Fistmasters", part of a Kempo school. It's my understanding that the "Soke" has been talked about quite a bit in the past.

Mixing Christianity with self-defense

Is it me, or are there more masters / grandmasters than in all of Japan here?
It got them free publicity, didn't it? Goal accomplished.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW - I looked around to see if I could find any video of the group in question. All I was able to find was a demo from the local group here in Lexington. It did feature one of the listed "masters", who apparently is a 7th dan in the system.

Let's just say that the demo was ... not exactly what I would hope to see from a high-ranking martial artist of whatever style.

OP
HAcerkman

HAcerkman

White Belt
Reaction score
Durbin is an interesting character. Curious about the "golden belt" he's wearing. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Latest Discussions