The Influence of Kenpo On Modern Arnis

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
1) I thought it was influenced by Wally Jay's system. I'm not certain of this however.

2) If I understand the technique you mean, it's common to many systems, isn't it? What is the DKI angle on it?

He may well have picked up something like this--he would have had to have picked up something, I imagine--but I can't come up with a good example.

Arnisador

1) Yeah when I was thinking about it I didn't actually know who came up with it I just knew I had seen it in both groups SCJJ and DKI. The point I was trying to make was that it was different than how his brother teaches it really.

2) Yeah the technique is common however the application or the reference to it being the reverse of a shuto block I thought would come from a karate type background or influence. The reference to the block is what I more or less attributed to DKI more so than SCJJ. Pure conjecture on my part though.

Mark.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Connecting to the anyos does sound like a DKI viewpoint; I agree. But I've seen the same done in TKD, for example! It's hard to say. Certainly I believe that the arm bar was likely influenced by either SCJJ or DKI.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Connecting to the anyos does sound like a DKI viewpoint; I agree. But I've seen the same done in TKD, for example! It's hard to say. Certainly I believe that the arm bar was likely influenced by either SCJJ or DKI.
From one who felt the locks back inthe day, I can say that all the locks were influenced by SMJJ. Ouch!

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel that most of the DKI influence was in the form applications. Although I have footage of Remy performing a pressure point knockout here in Buffalo.

:asian:

Latest Discussions