The importance and maybe secrets of the Dan-tian

MartialArtist1967

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, the article below discusses the dan-tian/abdomen (pp. 28-34) in a historical and practical context, it also gives a translation of the a very old text called the Embryo Breathing Classic. Do you agree wit this article?

Basically to where you got this link from is the scholar who studied in Chinese religions and focused on Cultivation. Need to have a talk with the true Wudang teacher or Daoist who can explain fully to you. The link you provided is only based on the scholar's study in few pages which is not enough to explain fully. As I mentioned from my previous comment that there are several authors out there who had experienced with dantians/dan tians through cultivation.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmm ... that section is what they call a "literature review;" basically "here's what the texts say." In terms of the Chinese tradition, I didn't see anything in those few pages that you couldn't find in a qigong text from say, YMAA.

While reading the ancient texts can be instructive, there's no substitute for direct experience in this context. As MartialArtist1967 wrote, it would be a good idea to seek out authors who have direct experience.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about the religious stuff (don't know the goal of cultivation, nor how one can check progress), but if we're talking about physical conditioning for dantian/chi development as in traditional Chinese and Japanese martial arts, then trying to learn about it from ancient texts is like trying to learn English by reading metro tickets.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very entertaining video! This style/form seems to exhibit the elements on which the Okinawan kata, sanchin, is based on. (The name perhaps derived from sa'am chien.) Higaonna Kanryo likely brought this form (sanchin) back with him from his years spent in China. Miyagi further modified it and it remains a definitive kata of Gojuryu. And, yes, doing a form such as this can be dangerous and should be done full effort only by one in top internal condition. I still do it at age 70, but only at about 80% effort. Even then, I sometimes get a little dizzy. It's very challenging when done properly.
There is no combat in the Iron Wire. There are some Three Battles elements, but ultimately the Iron Wire is a thread of peace. I was recently asked to put together a thread on this style, I'm still thinking about it.

The Lam Sai Wing video is a cartoon, based on motion capture.

This is a real person doing a legitimate expression of the traditional form.

His dan tien is exploding. That's far too yang. But you can't really blame him, that's a really yang location.

Last edited:

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that form. I learnt it during a trip to Calabria where an old man (probably sensing that I was a martial artist) invited me to taste the local chili peppers. Far too yang indeed.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I
There is no combat in the Iron Wire. There are some Three Battles elements, but ultimately the Iron Wire is a thread of peace. I was recently asked to put together a thread on this style, I'm still thinking about it.

The Lam Sai Wing video is a cartoon, based on motion capture.

This is a real person doing a legitimate expression of the traditional form.

His dan tien is exploding. That's far too yang. But you can't really blame him, that's a really yang location.

I’m still waiting…

Latest Discussions