The hybrid of M.A and Internet conduct and behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor_Mushin

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

This is a piece i just finished now after some time now considering the difference's in behaviour, respect (or lack ther of) in many M.A forums.
I am as i'm sure you all realise totally new to M.T so this is in no way based on views i've come to due to the conduct in Martial Talk. Its simply something I've written, as honestly...I'm a little fed up with some of the characters that poison the otherwise clean waters of M.A discussion. Anyway enough said, and Here it is. Thanks in advance for your consideration, your thoughts and your views. :) Dok

The peculiar hybrid of M.A and internet etiquette.

I was discussing this subject with my partner just last night and had the thought that it might be interesting to see what thoughts or opinions other forum using MA’ists might have. This is the Doc’s take on the matter. (Don’t worry, I don’t refer to myself in the 3rd person very often :p

It’s my belief that the martial arts and the internet are potentially a disastrous mix.
I have always been a part of M.A styles that hold a strong code of conduct sacred. The often unspoken rule of politeness, respect for your common M.A’ists, and above all, for your senior grades and masters has been a staple in my training, and I would never want it to be any other way.
On a somewhat opposite side of the coin, the internet often seems to hold a ‘light hearted don’t take anything serious’ approach to its behavior. Where taking anything said to heart, or to take offense is considered the trait of a ‘newbie’ and sometimes laughed at.

When these two cultures and unwritten codes of behavior are smashed together into the culture of M.A forums something strange and in my humble opinion, ugly often occurs.
Some users seem to hold the Internet conduct as their primary guide for their behavior, where others such as myself find the code of respect observed in M.A’s to be the rule of thumb.
Is there a right and wrong way to approach this? And if so, which approach is most befitting.
I am of the belief that regardless of the fact that the internet is our medium for discussion, we congregate as martial artists. When using other forums or chat on other subject matter I adapt to the commonly held approach to the net, and take everything with a grain (or I should say kilo) of salt.
I have found many in M.A forums find my serious and personal nature in forums to be comedic and over the top and that is their right. I simply do not believe that the medium or forum of discussion is more significant or powerful then the subject matter.
Should we all take nothing said seriously, and simply laugh at trollish and rude behavior? If any student or instructor within my two styles ever spoke to another student in the manner that many do in M.A forums, I would be putting them down for push ups, or even ejecting them from the dojo and or style.
Should we use this level of seriousness in M.A forums? Should we simply accept the rude and obnoxious manner so often used in the virtual communities of chat and other internet based forums? Or is this simply a matter of each to his or her own?

It is my belief that regardless of using the internet as our means of discussion, we are discussing M.A, as M.A’ists, and should behave accordingly. I have had M.A’ists of 20-30 years, whom are sometimes 3rd and 4th Dan speaking in a manner that would never be accepted in even the most Mc of Mc dojo’s. Where the level of blatant disrespect is considered totally acceptable as after all ‘it’s just the internet’

I so strongly disagree! Yes we use the internet, but if we speak in such manner, and treat each other in such manner, we only lower ourselves to the level of so many pointless and immature chat rooms that are so abundant in cyber space. By doing so, i believe we do not deserve the title, or to consider ourselves artists. Our code of conduct should hold true in all we say and all we do.
I have found several M.A forums to be extremely enjoyable, only to be attacked by a disrespectful, rude, and annoying troll, and after a string of attacks and counter attacks found myself on the receiving end of a ban.
It is my weakness I realize, but when venom is spit at me, I spit it back ten fold. I really need to work on biting my tongue. That said, is it so unreasonable to expect to not HAVE to bite my tongue? To expect a level of maturity and respect as is practiced in the dojo practiced on our M.A forums? Perhaps it is. I’ve yet to establish a rock solid stance on this.
I was banned this very day from another forum after a slanging match between the head moderator and admin of another site after he initially attacked me for (get this) not using my real name. To the best of my knowledge, the law of every democratic country in this great world is that a man has the right to use any name he so desires as long as the intent of using said name (alias) is not criminal.
My very first day using that forum, and within 3-4 posts I was attacked by this man for not using the name I bare on my birth certificate, although this is completely acceptable by the law of the land here in Australia and I would think the U.K and U.S.A. Is that by any stretch of the imagination right?
I believe that little disagreement only fueled a dislike for me and my posts, and I found for the next several days every post I made was attacked by this fellow, until I reached breaking point….and responded with these very words

“How about this, you’re right…you’re always right”. End of post…..and that resulted in a ban. I believe this man along with many other mod's and admin's blur the line between reality and their forum. Perhaps their lives lack fulfillment, perhaps they long for some power and or authority, and only find that power in their little virtual nest where they flex on every opportunity.
I do not believe I should have to ‘suck up to’ or attempt to get on the good side of any person who is a moderator. If I agree with, respect them, I will definitely show this. On the other hand, if I dislike their lack of respect for other forum users, or disagree with their view on a topic, I’ll say so.

I find it disgusting how on these sites people will speak so glowingly of the sites moderators, and then in some cases express their contempt for their arrogant behavior when in a ‘safe forum’ such as a messenger (MSN, yahoo, etc.)

I have expressed the deepest respect for others on forums before. Where I all but bow down to their superior knowledge, rank, intelligence, etc. but only if I believe they are truly deserving. I do not respect a man for who he is, but for what he is. An arrogant loathsome man, who is a moderator, and instructor, or a president even, is still arrogant and loathsome. On the other hand, a janitor who is wise, intelligent, respectful and knowledgeable is still all of these things. He just also happens to be a Janitor.
In short, I am the first to bow down respectfully, but that respect must be deserved. Those who expect to be respected simply because of the position they hold, be it a president, a master, or …..hmmmm a moderator/admin? Will be sorely mistaken if they expect me to drop to my metaphoric knees for them, based on that position.
But that’s just how I think, how I am, and how I live.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have no issue with those who disagree, its those who are rudely disagreeable.

thanks everybody, and be well

:)

Doc Mushin

Robert Carver

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You have a peculiar way of showing respect for others, good manners, or proper conduct yourself.
Doctor_Mushin said:
Here we go again,

Soul end, you are a rude person, simple as that. For a 'super moderator' you sure know how to stomp someones thoughts into the ground. Whats the policy here? "feel free to say whatever you think or feel...as long as you dont dare disagree with me!!" If its not, it should be.

My disdain for machined blades is not 'me on my high horse' as you like to put it. I'm simply tired of hearing stories of how many people have been ripped off by buying a machined blade after being conned into believing it is genuine. My disdain stems from sorting through hundreds of false fraudulent blades in an attempt to find even ONE that is what the seller claims it to be.
If you truelly understood the culture of japanese weapons as you imply you do, you'd know very well that machined weapons do not even NEAR qualify as a "smith's" work and this whole disagreement would have not began.

A great expert or i should say 'sensei' (though he would not agree the term is befitting) once said to me the following
"Most martial artists though well intentioned would'nt have the first clue about what a true blade is or should be"
Your words along with those of so many arm chair experts have led me to think this might in fact be true.
You are so fast to label me as the arrogant one, yet i'm the person here who makes every attempt to clarify that i do not mean any offense. I'm the one who continues to say "i am a beginner re: japanese weapons" but i'm also the one on the 'high horse' as you so RUDELY have said.
Who do you think you are Sir? the Fidell Castro of M.A forums? Learn some manners.
From the moment you got all upset over me posting an alias i got a bad feeling that you were going to attempt to be a thorn in my side using this forum, and so it has become. I might inform you that in every day life (at least in a western country) a man has the right to call himself whatever he damned well pleases...but hey, thats a free world, this is your little virtual castle right, and your the king...or SUPER KING i should say.
You yourself said that you had viewed this thread weeks ago and did not respond as its an old thread (something i did not notice when i first posted) yet you felt compelled to come in and try to cut down my every word.
I would have thought by your age you would have passed the stage where you think you're always...i mean ALWAYS right.

For example, the story about the man who was non-japanese and was granted citizenship. I full well admit that might be just one of many (for lack of a better word) 'urban legend re: Japan. Perhaps it was a one of occurance granted because the government wanted to display how noble they are. Quite likely, its complete fiction.
What i can say for sure are these facts, I was told this story with the utmost sincerity. The story had been passed around from mouth to mouth for some years, and the last fact, i totally concede that it might be complete fiction.
None the less a nice little story in my opinion. Conceding is something i dont think you are mature enough to do. God forbid you ever accept that you might have been wrong.

Even if you so disagree with someone, is it absolutely nessisary to attempt to cut them down on every post? Fine, go right ahead. But one thing I KNOW FOR SURE, you wont continue to do so with me.
I could well keep using this otherwise great forum until you so annoy and offend me that i lash out in such manner to get banned....or i can simply click that little X in the top courner....and never have to hear you arrogant words, and view your sad little picture. With your so neat and tidy little scarf.
On that note, i MUST add, you're the only person who i have ever seen that could make such a noble uniform look so 'prim and proper' as to come across as a total pansy.
He're a suggestion, however much time you spend training in the real world, try spending a LOT more there. People like you amaze me, you claim to be such acomplished M.A'sts, yet EVERY time i post, you respond within 30 minutes on the vast majority of occasions. That leads me to believe one of two things....1, you and i so coincidentaly have the exact same training timetable, actually...not just training, but all round. The same exact time table. (a difficult feat considering i train, teach, and work different days from week to week).
OR.....!
You have virtually NO LIFE outside your little '

'super moderator i'm the net dictator, i know all, dont dare think you know as much as I, and boy oh boy! dont i look so pretty in my little clean, girlish scarf ' ...world.

Its so painfully obvious you use that pic to try and establish some machismo, you should just bite the bullet, accept you lack testosterone, and buy some soft sole sandles.

Well, i think my time in this wonderful forum has allready come to an end. I have no doubt all your little virtual admirers will jump to your aid and help assert your manhood for you. The string of posts talking about how much of a rude so and so i am will make you feel a little better sunshine, so dont dispair. YOU TRUELLY ARE KING OF YOUR LITTLE VIRTUAL M.A WORLD!
ALL HAIL THE SUPER MOD...you ****in wanker.

this is the Doc 'dont try ta grab my fowel ****' , signing off!

Doc Mushin :D:D

P.S I would'nt dare expose the Nihonto forum i use to an arrogant ****** like you? I know the truth, I know the worlds leading Nihonto experts, who's names are known the world over by all true nihonto enthusiats....you know...only bugei?? lol what a joke. Get a life, go for a walk, get some air....hows this..**** OFF :D
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 5:12 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: this is my one attempt to be reasonable.

Here's how it is ***s,

IM SICK OF YOU ****IN LOSERS THINKING YOU ARE THE ****IN RULERS OF THE M.A WORLD. ITS SO ****ING LAME THAT A POST THAT WAS UP FOR 60 ****IN SECONDS BEFORE I THOUGHT 'NO, NOT PRUDENT, I'LL DELETE IT' GOT ME BANNED.
THIS IS HOW IT WILL BE, LIFT MY BAN. I GIVE YOU TWO DAYS, IF AT THAT TIME THE BAN IS NOT LIFTED, I WILL DO MY ALL TO SEE YOUR ****IN **** SITE GET TORN DOWN. IF YOU THINK I CANT DO IT, JUST ****IN TRY ME. MY BROTHER HAPPENS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST 'UP YOUR *** DONT **** WITH ME' HACKERS YOU'LL EVER SEE.
IF NOTHING ELSE, I'LL JUST KEEP SIGNING IN WITH DIFFERENT I.S.P'S, EVEN ON DIFFERENT P.C'S IF YOU FIND A WAY AROUND THAT.
I'LL SO ****IN HAUNT YOU ****ERS THAT YOU'LL WISH YOU HAD NEVER TALKED DOWN TO ME YOU DIP**** ****S.
LIFT THE BAN, I'LL POST SOME POLITE 'well, thanks for everything but i'm my net account is ending this week, it was nice

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

ITS THE DAMNED PRINCIPLE OF BEING BANNED. LIFT THE DAMN BAN, I'LL BOW OUT GRACIOUSLY, AND THAT WILL BE ALL. OR

OR

**** WITH ME AND I'LL BE A THORN IN YOUR SIDE FOR AS LONG AS I CAN STAND TO ****IN BOTHER WITH YOU AND YOUR ****.

THAT ****IN ARROGANT HOM WITH THE LITTLE SCARF MY MILLITARY IM THE ****IN BE ALL AND END ALL NEEDS A ****IN LESSON IN MANNERS.

I KNOW WHAT YOU'LL DO, YOU WONT LIFT THE BAN ;D SO THE FUN WILL BEGIN!
THIS WAY, I CAN SAY...I ****IN WARED YOU!

IF YOU JUST COMPLY ON THIS ONE THING......I'LL WALK AWAY. I SWEAR ON MY FATHERS GRAVE, AND ON MY SONS EYES, I WILL ONLY, ONLY POST ONE POLITE FAREWELL.

BUT YOU CANT EVEN GRANT THAT ****IN MUCH CAN YOU

THIS IS NOT THE WORLD YOU ****. ITS THE ****IN INTERNET. YOU NEED TO GET A LIFE, BUT MORE SO, GET SOME ****IN MANNERS

YOU GOT 2 DAYS

TonyU

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the internet and martial art world is a small world indeed.

Soulend

White Belt
Reaction score
Good evening all, it appears I have gotten something of a fan.

The thread where I supposedly "attacked" this fellow for not using his real name (as per the rules of our forum which all members agree to before being granted membership), is here:

http://www.budoseek.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14680

Please tell me where there is any "attack". I asked him to comply with our rules, thanked him for doing so, and wished him a good time on our forums.

Here is the thread where he got banned, and not by me either unfortunately - he was already banned when I got off work today and looked at the thread, due to his filthy language and disrespectful remarks:

http://www.budoseek.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11166&page=1&pp=20

Before he was banned he changed his username to an expletive. I'm not going to address any of his remarks or insults here, as doing so would only be importing nonsense into and disrespecting your forums, but I would watch this gentleman closely. I quite frankly wonder if he is entirely sane.

David Craik
Moderator - Sword Arts/Koryu
BudoSeek!

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Okay, who are you people and what are you doing here? Nevermind I don't care. Phil has a problem with some people on another board, he brings it here. You, whoever you are, have a problem with someone else, somewhere else, and you bring it here. I like it here, I've met some great people here, this place is a cut above other forums. We can differ in opinions and yet respect each other. There are good people here, and this is a good place. We don't need this. Get out.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Thread Locked and moved to The Great Debate.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Senior Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions