The Internet Dojang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am posting this in the Taekwondo forum because I am a Taekwondo instructor, and this comes from my perspective about Taekwondo specifically. Although it can apply to all similar Martial Art variations, and posting a duplicate copy in other forums is optional, I would prefer that this post remains here because it is respectfully directed at my fellow Taekwondoists.

:asian:

The Internet Dojang
by
Chief Master Darwin J. Eisenhart​

Like most of the older participants here on the world wide web, I grew up in a time void of the internet - a time without electronic message boards, chat rooms, or instant messaging. It was an era when, if you wanted to talk to someone, you met them face-to-face, or called them on the telephone. If you had time to wait for a response, your wrote them a letter, put a stamp on it, and dropped it in a mailbox. Just a generation or two earlier, and the telephone wasn't even an option. So, what does this do to human interaction and social behavior? It seems to me that communication has become extremely impersonal. Social etiquette and good manners are pretty much out the microsoft window.

In my youth, if you wanted to break up with a girlfriend, you typically called her on the phone because you didn't want to face her, and dumping her by a written note was deemed inconsiderate, and usually resulted in a subsequent phone conversation anyhow. If you were angry with your boss, and wanted to quit your job, you would just not show up for work, or call on the phone and say, “I quit.” We often avoid the tough situations in-person, even today. This is partially due to a lack of courage, but also because of ingrained social manners that prompts us to be polite to people in person. There are some who lack these social skills, but most of us find it easier to say the harsh words over the phone, or in a letter where you don't have to look the person in the eye.

What does all this have to do with the internet, and the subject of teaching Taekwondo, or any similar Martial Art? From my own perspective, the Taekwondo Dojang (school) is an educational facility - - not just about technical data, skill training and professional jargon, but about a way of life. It is a hall of wisdom and enlightenment. The relationship of a Taekwondo teacher to the student has to be the most personal, as well as professional and highly respected interaction two people can have. Meeting a student face-to-face is the best way to study their personality, character, and decipher what that individual needs for personal growth and fulfillment. Every little nuance, from every facial expression, subtle body language, and tone of voice can give a seasoned instructor insight to the depth of the student's mind.

I know that there are many students and teachers out there who feel that this is not part of a Martial Art Instructor's responsibility, but many, like myself, do - - and this is the type of Martial Art education that I am addressing here. In my personal opinion, the success or failure of producing good quality students, and preserving the integrity of the Art, depends greatly on the personal interactions between instructor and student, the ability of the teacher to “read” the student's mannerisms, and to know how to deal with that student at that moment. Likewise, it is equally important for a student to be able to understand the intended meaning of what an instructor is saying by watching their facial expressions, listening to their tone of voice, and seeking to grasp the meaning behind the words.

This is a process that I feel is, unfortunately, almost completely lost over the internet. Whether we realize it or not, the computer and the world wide web has crept into the fabric of our social structure, and has likely become a permanent feature in the lives of future generations. Oh, what a tangled web we weave - - when our primary communication with others are these impersonal snip-its of words, often written without care or concern for good manners, common courtesy, or any kind of social repercussions other than to drop one anonymous profile, and create another.

Those who visit the various online Martial Art forums are indeed joining an “internet dojang.” Some are here to learn from others' experience, while many come to share what knowledge and experience they have. The problem with this open-door electronic dojang is that there is an exchange of information; a teaching and sharing of knowledge without the guidance of a specified instructor, a personal relationship and interaction with that teacher, nor any of the responsibility or accountability for behavior of the recipients of that knowledge (whoever they may be).

People come to these forums to gain knowledge, and improve their skills and understanding of their art, but they don't always respect (value) the source of that knowledge. Some will say to others, “I really appreciate your input,” or “thanks for sharing your experience here,” but many are quick to take what bits and pieces of that knowledge that suits them, and turn right around to spit in that same individual's face. This behavior is like a person walking into a Taekwondo Dojang, asking the most skilled and highly trained instructors to teach you what they know for free, then when they offer a little wisdom, philosophy with which you disagree, or insist upon some rules of proper conduct, you say “screw you, dude! I don't have to do what you say. You can't make me respect you - respect is a two-way street, and your rank doesn't mean crap to me.... now teach some more of what you know.”

I think we are getting tangled in a web of deception. Mixed among the serious, dedicated students and Black Belts on the internet, are Illegitimate instructors and questionable Black Belts who pass themselves off as “experts.” Yet the biggest deception of all is that these forums are harmless, “friendly” exchanges of useful information. Is it really, or are we ignoring the fact that many novice are learning misleading and out-right wrong information from other novice, and some genuine experts are imparting a gold mine of wisdom and experience, earned and acquired over a life-time, only to be spat upon, disrespected, bad-mouthed, and left not knowing who is benefiting from their knowledge, or what they are going to do with it.

The Martial Art forums of this world wide web have become internet dojangs/dojos, void of proper leadership, lacking appropriate manners and courtesy, and without the personal responsibility of knowing who you are teaching (and we are in fact teaching others), nor what the integrity of the internet student's character and behavior will be. There are those here who desire all the knowledge they can pilfer, but fail to value the teachers. Others think they are experts because of the books they have read, or the fascination with the trial-and-error expertise of modern do-it-yourself experts. Some are misled to believe that their years of dedicated training with a legitimate, 9th Degree Grandmaster has given them a clear and complete understanding of Taekwondo, but this is not always a forgone conclusion.

For the sake of this discussion, I am not going to hold my knowledge, rank, or personal opinions up against anyone else's to claim that I am right, and they are wrong - - or that I know better than others because of my years of experience. I am simply asking an all important question. Is this modern-day phenomenon of online communication becoming an “internet dojang” where people learn incomplete, and often incorrect bits and pieces of an art without the benefit of personal contact, or respect for those from whom they are learning, and is this process, as benign as it seems, going to be the cancer that eats away at the soul of this art?

I, for one, am not sure that my participation in this method of raping each others minds, stealing valuable knowledge, then kicking the prone victim in the ribs before you spit on them and walk away to hock their valuables at the pawn shop of your own “Korean Karate club.” With the whimsical enforcement of forum rules, reminiscent of a college dorm RA (think of Pauly Shore as “crawl” in the movie Son-in-Law) , the moderators here seem to be assisting the rape by holding down the victim and saying, “We interpret the rules our way, so lay back and take it, or don't come here.” The administrators either support this kind of intellectual rape, or are turning a blind-eye to it. True, people don't have to contribute here, but once you do, you are subject the verbal assault, and gang rape mentality that says if you put yourself out there, you deserve what you get, and no one owe's you any respect as a human being, let alone as a knowledgeable instructor.

Just food for thought..... perhaps others will disagree.

Chief Master (not that it matters here) D.J. Eisenhart :asian:

P.S. None of this is intended as a direct reference to any particular individual here on the Martial Talk forum, but as a commentary on the entire nature of internet communication and all chat forums and message boards.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice article Mr. Eisenhart.

Good communication is essential between an instructor and student. But the internet is a written medium, and if an instructor cannot communicate their intentions or meanings correctly over that medium, they will fail. Neither typing nor spelling nor good writing skills are a prerequisite for high martial skills. Too many truly legitimate instructors get on the internet with none of those communication skills and wonder why they get laughed at, or aren't taken seriously since they write like a 6th grader, and then get angry because of the lack of "respect." Many of those same instructors not only cannot or do not present themselves very well over the internet, but do not understand that appeals to authority are poorly taken in the general public, and that more support beyond “my instructor said” will be required to provide an adequate argument for their position. The other confusion is simply that knowledge of a martial art, however profound, does not translate into knowledge of history or anthropology, and too many myths get written into a system’s history.

I am simply asking an all important question. Is this modern-day phenomenon of online communication becoming an “internet dojang” where people learn incomplete, and often incorrect bits and pieces of an art without the benefit of personal contact, or respect for those from whom they are learning, and is this process, as benign as it seems, going to be the cancer that eats away at the soul of this art?

No, I think it will force instructors to be more knowledgeable about their arts history, and if a student brings up an incorrect bit of historical fact or myth, the instructor should be able to rebut it. If an instructor can’t play in the information age, they should either get out of the game or get better at it. No it wasn’t the way it was, when martial knowledge was restricted to the inscrutable east, this is the west, expect someone to critically think about what you are saying. Questioning an instructor does not imply disrespect, it represents a student seeking the truth, and that is what we are here to teach isn’t it?

Lamont

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The only way to learn the TaeKwonDo is to practice with a SabumNeem. This posting up here is nice to pass the time and talk about common interests, and to socialize. It is not learning TKD, everyone knows that.

Most of the Old GMs would not use message boards such as this, I would not think, though I could be wrong, of course. Since I have started practice again, I very much enjoy this board, for social reasons, many posts not having to do with the Martial Arts but about current events and so on.

That being said, I have learned many nice things, especially being exposed to the ways of seeing hyung in a different way -- the hidden meanings of the motions. I have learned about resources that I can go to to find out more about that, if I wish.

But learning the TKD on the message board??? No, that will never happen. I don't care WHO the user is, how high the rank is, it is impossible to teach someone TKD or to learn it by typing in these computers. That will never happen. One has to go to the Dojang, and then practice, more and more. There is no shortcut.

Also, I will say, that if gross disrespect has been shown on this particular board (MartialTalk.com), then I am glad that I have not read that post. I would not like to see disrespect here on this board! And, there are other people using this board that I feel confident that they would not sit idly by and watch that happen. I have some confidence in many of my fellow users in this community here on this board. As for other forums, I cannot say. I am only a member here. I don't have the time to join any others.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me translate most of that.

"I got my head handed to me in a few discussions here by better people with legit lineages, and got spanked a few times by the mods when I went all stupid and ****, so they all suck donkey for not backing me up."

Did I get it all right Darkwing? Dude, seriously, it's the internet. Grow a pair or log out already. Your little rant here is nothing more than a shot at this site's staff. Grow up already little man.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

~Socrate by Plato

Must have been amazing 3000 years ago, considering how every generation since then has been thought of as less repectful and focused then the previous generation, at least in the eyes of the previous generation.

"The world is passing through troublesome times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They talk as if they know everything."

~ Mathew Paris, 13th century

I could find more I imagine, but really it just comes down to one thing, we've been on a downward spiral for thousands of years.

Or maybe, just maybe, people have a natural tendency to glorify the past and resent change.

The internet is a medium, a rather amazing one. It allows things like this forum, where we have thousands of people from all over the globe that practice all sorts of styles to discuss any subject we like.

Sure, sometimes it gets a little dirty, but that's got nothing to do with the internet. Go to a Senate meeting and things will get dirty, and its a bunch of old guys that didn't grow up with the internet, old guys that where elected as leaders and are respected members of their communities.

Or, we could blame the internet as it is scary and new.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[playnice]Carol Kaur[/playnice]

The Last Legionary

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My comments to this bit of septic below.

I am posting this in the Taekwondo forum because I am a Taekwondo instructor, and this comes from my perspective about Taekwondo specifically. Although it can apply to all similar Martial Art variations, and posting a duplicate copy in other forums is optional, I would prefer that this post remains here because it is respectfully directed at my fellow Taekwondoists.

The Internet Dojang
by
Chief Master Darwin J. Eisenhart​

Like most of the older participants here on the world wide web, I grew up in a time void of the internet - a time without electronic message boards, chat rooms, or instant messaging. It was an era when, if you wanted to talk to someone, you met them face-to-face, or called them on the telephone. If you had time to wait for a response, your wrote them a letter, put a stamp on it, and dropped it in a mailbox. Just a generation or two earlier, and the telephone wasn't even an option. So, what does this do to human interaction and social behavior? It seems to me that communication has become extremely impersonal. Social etiquette and good manners are pretty much out the microsoft window.

No, it is out the AOL influenced window. AOL did more damage than Microsoft with their allowing uneducated and ill mannered children online. At first, they stayed in their AOL cage, but today, they are loose all over. They however fare poorly here as you have seen.

In my youth, if you wanted to break up with a girlfriend, you typically called her on the phone because you didn't want to face her, and dumping her by a written note was deemed inconsiderate, and usually resulted in a subsequent phone conversation anyhow. If you were angry with your boss, and wanted to quit your job, you would just not show up for work, or call on the phone and say, “I quit.” We often avoid the tough situations in-person, even today. This is partially due to a lack of courage, but also because of ingrained social manners that prompts us to be polite to people in person. There are some who lack these social skills, but most of us find it easier to say the harsh words over the phone, or in a letter where you don't have to look the person in the eye.

Most people are now, and always have been, cowards. Big whoopdy doo.

What does all this have to do with the internet, and the subject of teaching Taekwondo, or any similar Martial Art? From my own perspective, the Taekwondo Dojang (school) is an educational facility - - not just about technical data, skill training and professional jargon, but about a way of life. It is a hall of wisdom and enlightenment. The relationship of a Taekwondo teacher to the student has to be the most personal, as well as professional and highly respected interaction two people can have. Meeting a student face-to-face is the best way to study their personality, character, and decipher what that individual needs for personal growth and fulfillment. Every little nuance, from every facial expression, subtle body language, and tone of voice can give a seasoned instructor insight to the depth of the student's mind.

Nothing new there.

I know that there are many students and teachers out there who feel that this is not part of a Martial Art Instructor's responsibility, but many, like myself, do - - and this is the type of Martial Art education that I am addressing here. In my personal opinion, the success or failure of producing good quality students, and preserving the integrity of the Art, depends greatly on the personal interactions between instructor and student, the ability of the teacher to “read” the student's mannerisms, and to know how to deal with that student at that moment. Likewise, it is equally important for a student to be able to understand the intended meaning of what an instructor is saying by watching their facial expressions, listening to their tone of voice, and seeking to grasp the meaning behind the words.

Uh huh.

This is a process that I feel is, unfortunately, almost completely lost over the internet. Whether we realize it or not, the computer and the world wide web has crept into the fabric of our social structure, and has likely become a permanent feature in the lives of future generations. Oh, what a tangled web we weave - - when our primary communication with others are these impersonal snip-its of words, often written without care or concern for good manners, common courtesy, or any kind of social repercussions other than to drop one anonymous profile, and create another.

This is a written medium. It requires good reading and good writing skills. Most people write like they talk and fail to include visual clues, like smilies :fart::rtfm::2xBird2: to help indicate their thoughts and meanings better.

Those who visit the various online Martial Art forums are indeed joining an “internet dojang.” Some are here to learn from others' experience, while many come to share what knowledge and experience they have. The problem with this open-door electronic dojang is that there is an exchange of information; a teaching and sharing of knowledge without the guidance of a specified instructor, a personal relationship and interaction with that teacher, nor any of the responsibility or accountability for behavior of the recipients of that knowledge (whoever they may be).

Right. So either play or don't. Duh.

People come to these forums to gain knowledge, and improve their skills and understanding of their art, but they don't always respect (value) the source of that knowledge. Some will say to others, “I really appreciate your input,” or “thanks for sharing your experience here,” but many are quick to take what bits and pieces of that knowledge that suits them, and turn right around to spit in that same individual's face. This behavior is like a person walking into a Taekwondo Dojang, asking the most skilled and highly trained instructors to teach you what they know for free, then when they offer a little wisdom, philosophy with which you disagree, or insist upon some rules of proper conduct, you say “screw you, dude! I don't have to do what you say. You can't make me respect you - respect is a two-way street, and your rank doesn't mean crap to me.... now teach some more of what you know.”

Mr. Kettle called. He said Mrs. Pot was Black. I didn't know!

I think we are getting tangled in a web of deception. Mixed among the serious, dedicated students and Black Belts on the internet, are Illegitimate instructors and questionable Black Belts who pass themselves off as “experts.” Yet the biggest deception of all is that these forums are harmless, “friendly” exchanges of useful information. Is it really, or are we ignoring the fact that many novice are learning misleading and out-right wrong information from other novice, and some genuine experts are imparting a gold mine of wisdom and experience, earned and acquired over a life-time, only to be spat upon, disrespected, bad-mouthed, and left not knowing who is benefiting from their knowledge, or what they are going to do with it.

You mean like people with mix and match lineages, who buy rank or just promote themselves and other such ********? Please, tell me it isn't so. Seriously, it's like buying a self-help book. Tons of them on the market, how many of those authors really know the stuff and are worth squat? Buyer BeWare! Or, reader in this case since most of these little sponges wouldn't pay for anything and usually whine about it when youo suggest it. Wankers.

The Martial Art forums of this world wide web have become internet dojangs/dojos, void of proper leadership, lacking appropriate manners and courtesy, and without the personal responsibility of knowing who you are teaching (and we are in fact teaching others), nor what the integrity of the internet student's character and behavior will be. There are those here who desire all the knowledge they can pilfer, but fail to value the teachers. Others think they are experts because of the books they have read, or the fascination with the trial-and-error expertise of modern do-it-yourself experts. Some are misled to believe that their years of dedicated training with a legitimate, 9th Degree Grandmaster has given them a clear and complete understanding of Taekwondo, but this is not always a forgone conclusion.

I know so many people like this. It's like you, read, my, mind.

For the sake of this discussion, I am not going to hold my knowledge, rank, or personal opinions up against anyone else's to claim that I am right, and they are wrong - - or that I know better than others because of my years of experience. I am simply asking an all important question. Is this modern-day phenomenon of online communication becoming an “internet dojang” where people learn incomplete, and often incorrect bits and pieces of an art without the benefit of personal contact, or respect for those from whom they are learning, and is this process, as benign as it seems, going to be the cancer that eats away at the soul of this art?

Right, "Master Chief". As to learning incomplete, no more so than any other means like books, tapes, and only hitting the odd seminar or 3 each year.

I, for one, am not sure that my participation in this method of raping each others minds, stealing valuable knowledge, then kicking the prone victim in the ribs before you spit on them and walk away to hock their valuables at the pawn shop of your own “Korean Karate club.” With the whimsical enforcement of forum rules, reminiscent of a college dorm RA (think of Pauly Shore as “crawl” in the movie Son-in-Law) , the moderators here seem to be assisting the rape by holding down the victim and saying, “We interpret the rules our way, so lay back and take it, or don't come here.” The administrators either support this kind of intellectual rape, or are turning a blind-eye to it. True, people don't have to contribute here, but once you do, you are subject the verbal assault, and gang rape mentality that says if you put yourself out there, you deserve what you get, and no one owe's you any respect as a human being, let alone as a knowledgeable instructor.

Ok, comparing having to follow rules and being spanked when you don't to rape, bias, and all that. Nice and Classy. You're a hell of a guy there Darwin. No wonder they named an award after you. (Note-direct shot, not a "snipe")

Just food for thought..... perhaps others will disagree.

Chief Master (not that it matters here) D.J. Eisenhart :asian:

P.S. None of this is intended as a direct reference to any particular individual here on the Martial Talk forum, but as a commentary on the entire nature of internet communication and all chat forums and message boards.

********. You're attacking the people who spanked you, clear and plain. Either that, or you suck at written communication. Pick one.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a difference between critical thinking, and mental rape. As long as nobody is forcing someone else to share information, (I haven't had Bob Hubbard etc appear and hold a gun to my head forcing me to post thoughts on self defense etc yet.) it's beyond arrogant to presume that one's opinion is going to carry as much weight as one thinks it should simply because you're you, and by God, you're right.

OP
Last Fearner

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
[playnice]Carol Kaur[/playnice]

Carol, thank you for reminding us all to play nice. I really don't want this to be an adversarial argument, but honest input as to the pros and cons of internet communication about Taekwondo.

I am enjoying reading the replies to my post, but some have misinterpreted a few things - - so, before it gets too far out of hand, I thought I would clarify a few points.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

~Socrate by Plato
Andrew, thanks for the quotes which put the historical repetition into perspective. I have often noticed this same thing as I like to read the thoughts of past philosophers like Plato and Socrates.

However, what I'm really saying here is not that the typical generational rebellion, and disrespect among children, adults, politicians, etc. is new thing, but I am questioning the ease and degree that I feel it has crept into Martial Arts such as Taekwondo, where it did not exist in my younger days. I don't want to be construed as saying the internet is all bad, or that these forums don't provide a positive source of entertainment, as well as stimulating, intellectual conversations. I don't think the past was all that perfect, but I am concerned as to what the lack of personal interactions, and callous behavior for common courtesies might do to the nature and fabric of the Martial Art in the future.

I figured that my post here would attract some who agree, and some who disagree, and I think that is great! I also anticipated that it would bring about the wrath of those who precisely fit the bill of which I speak

Let me translate most of that.

"I got my head handed to me in a few discussions here by better people with legit lineages, and got spanked a few times by the mods when I went all stupid and ****, so they all suck donkey for not backing me up."

Did I get it all right Darkwing? Dude, seriously, it's the internet. Grow a pair or log out already. Your little rant here is nothing more than a shot at this site's staff. Grow up already little man.

Case in point.

This discussion here has nothing to do with winning or losing arguments here on MT, or any specific debates (as I have mentioned none), but rather the experiences that I have noticed as to the method, attitude, and lack of courtesy some have towards others with whom they disagree. I have been in heated debates here on MT, yet I don't feel any disrespect towards those who disagree with me. The above poster might just be playing a psychological game, and trying to get under my skin, but it does not bother me personally. However, in my opinion, it is an inappropriate way to disagree, and not conducive of the spirit of Taekwondo. I feel this type of cancer is spreading throughout the internet, and could affect the world of Martial Art instruction - - my chosen profession.

The only way to learn the TaeKwonDo is to practice with a SabumNeem. This posting up here is nice to pass the time and talk about common interests, and to socialize. It is not learning TKD, everyone knows that.

But learning the TKD on the message board??? No, that will never happen. I don't care WHO the user is, how high the rank is, it is impossible to teach someone TKD or to learn it by typing in these computers. That will never happen. One has to go to the Dojang, and then practice, more and more. There is no shortcut.
(my emphasis added)
I agree with your point 100%, newGuy, and I would concur that the best way to accurately learn Taekwondo is in the Dojang with a qualified instructor, but I would also say that people do learn some things here, and not everyone knows that they are not actually learning TKD via internet, books, and videos.

Nice article Mr. Eisenhart.
Thank you!

Good communication is essential between an instructor and student. But the internet is a written medium, and if an instructor cannot communicate their intentions or meanings correctly over that medium, they will fail.
Yes, communication skills are essential for teaching, but the subtle expressions of the face, and inflections of tone that often convey a completely different meaning than the written word, cannot be conveyed in internet posts, so will there inevitably be a failure to communicate clearly?

Neither typing nor spelling nor good writing skills are a prerequisite for high martial skills. Too many truly legitimate instructors get on the internet with none of those communication skills and wonder why they get laughed at, or aren't taken seriously since they write like a 6th grader, and then get angry because of the lack of "respect."
I agree that every aspect of a person gives an impression to readers, as well as potential students, but many with poor spelling and grammar are still respected here for the substance of their knowledge. On the other hand, I take time to spell-check, and write in a professional manner, but this does not guarentee any level of respect.

The other confusion is simply that knowledge of a martial art, however profound, does not translate into knowledge of history or anthropology, and too many myths get written into a system&#8217;s history.
No, I think it will force instructors to be more knowledgeable about their arts history, and if a student brings up an incorrect bit of historical fact or myth, the instructor should be able to rebut it.

I think you are confusing this thread with another topic. I made no mention of history nor the knowledge thereof here. This thread is about people debating and discussing their points, any point on any topic, without being rude or disrespectful. A small amount of unitentional disrespect might creep in during the heat of a discussion, and often intentions are misinterpreted, but there are those who go out of their way to be blatantly rude.

Questioning an instructor does not imply disrespect, it represents a student seeking the truth, and that is what we are here to teach isn&#8217;t it?
I agree with you. I never have a problem with a student, or anyone questioning the instructor. I don't mind that at all. It is not the question, but the attitude in which the question is presented, and the ill-mannered response when one does not agree with (or fully understand) the instructor's answer. My interpretation of the proper Taekwondo attitude is, ask questions politely, request clarification or additional information if you are not satisfied with the answer, be as persistent as time will allow, but there is no benefit to being rude in the process. As an instructor, I might say to a persistent student, "perhaps you are right and I am wrong, but perhaps your opinion will change in time. For now, we will politely end the discussion, and get back to training."

EDIT

I thought about this after my post

This is from an old post that is at least partially applicable to this and is still pretty much my view
Xue Sheng, thank you for posting the link. I had forgotten about that thread, so I read it again, and I agree with your post as well as some of the others. I see that I posted there as well, and still hold to what I said then. Of course, that thread was more of a question as to whether the sharing of information between arts is detrimental and might cause cross-contamination. My thread is more about the decline of personal instruction, value of the instructor student relationship, and the over-all lack of common courtesy and Taekwondo type respect that I see as lacking among more and more internet chatters.

All should be clear that I still believe Martial Talk to be one of the best (if not the best) Martial Art forum on the internet, as I did when I joined - which is why I joined. That has not changed in my mind, and I am not condemning all of the moderators as a whole, because many of them do an excellent job of keeping things polite, on topic, flowing smooth, and attempting to remain neutral when they must intervene - - but others do not.

My indictment here is not specifically of the Martial Talk forum, but of the nature of all internet forums, the deterioration of the integrity of Taekwondo itself because of ease of information without responsibility to or relationship with the person whose brain you are picking, and if others think that this trend might be abused to the point of destroying future attempts to teach Taekwondo as a complete, balanced art of mind, body, and spirit with instructors being worthy of respect, and students being disciplined enough to show it.

I know there are those who don't want it this way, and define Taekwondo differently. I believe each generation is declining in some ways (morals, respect, being spoiled by modern technology), and this will always continue, but does it reach a point of destruction - like Sodom and Gomorrah? Will Taekwondo degenerate to a point where future generations treat it as a commodity rather than an art, and disrespecting those who attempt to preserve the art?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe each generation is declining in some ways (morals, respect, being spoiled by modern technology), and this will always continue, but does it reach a point of destruction - like Sodom and Gomorrah?

Things go in cycles --> day to night and back again, spiritual to material and back again. There is nothing to fear in the long run.

Will Taekwondo degenerate to a point where future generations treat it as a commodity rather than an art, and disrespecting those who attempt to preserve the art?
No, no, no. TKD will persist into the future, and will be quite healthy, no problem. Many of the Old GMs are dead or retired now. The ones who knew of the kwans. And, there are foolish schools around as well, but there will always be people to carry Good TKD into the future. Here on this board, there are good ideas passed around --> about a return to the older ways, to concentrate on close quarter combat more.

We have a member here on this board who trained in Vietnam with the Black Tigers. So, we have some very good people to talk to in the virtual space. There is nothing to fear about this TKD going sour. Too much despair! No. We go to the schools and practice. My Instructor teaches in the same manner as my GM taught us! He is not the same Man, of course, and does not claim to be, but I am sure that he would be approved by my GrandMaster if he were around!

Things will be just fine. As for people's attitudes, consider this -- we are about to have a very deep recession, maybe a depression in the US. That's a bad thing, but its also good in some ways --> it forces people to yeild their attachment to such excessive material indulgence.

You do not need fancy material or a fancy Dojang to practice in! The Good Students never complain!!! Ha!

Will TKD turn sour? This TKD will be strong and stronger LONG AFTER WE ALL DIE!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Most of the Old GMs would not use message boards such as this, I would not think, though I could be wrong, of course. Since I have started practice again, I very much enjoy this board, for social reasons, many posts not having to do with the Martial Arts but about current events and so on.

That being said, I have learned many nice things, especially being exposed to the ways of seeing hyung in a different way -- the hidden meanings of the motions. I have learned about resources that I can go to to find out more about that, if I wish.

Also, I will say, that if gross disrespect has been shown on this particular board (MartialTalk.com), then I am glad that I have not read that post. I would not like to see disrespect here on this board! And, there are other people using this board that I feel confident that they would not sit idly by and watch that happen. I have some confidence in many of my fellow users in this community here on this board. As for other forums, I cannot say. I am only a member here. I don't have the time to join any others.

I haven't finished reading all the posts yet, but I agree totally with NewGuy. I do not come here to learn martial arts, but simply to talk about martial arts with other martial artists. I look at it as meeting at a coffee shop for some down-time, not as meeting on the mat for some instruction. My favorite part of MT is finding out how other students of the arts do things. And I don't mean techniques. I enjoy hearing how you do your testings (and just how your test went!), how you motivate yourself to train when you don't want to, what your dojang looks like, what equipment/uniform you like the best etc. These are the things that are fun to talk about with friends.

I come here for fun discussion about martial arts (Lord knows my non-MA friends get tired of me talking about!) I go to the dojang to DO martial arts. There is a huge difference.

On a side note- I think we (I have seen it especially in this forum) do a good job of replying to technique questions with "ask your instructor". To me, that is the perfect response to any student who has an instructor to ask.

I am glad I am a part of this forum. It let's me keep thinking about martial arts when I am not at the dojang (oh wait, I guess I would be doing that anyway!)
icon6.gif

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The internet is a powerful tool for learning. A person's character is their only barrier.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, mentally rape. Its been rough for you eh?
Look if you want to use so harsh an example lets start there. First of all on the forum every time a response is put out there you can walk away from you keyboard...... a long way from a rape scenario. I will go a step farther and say in many ways its much safer then in a classroom where you are on the spot and may feel stupid about asking something. Like in the classroom if someone posts stupidity it stands out and is ignored, modded or flamed. When its not walk away.
I do the forums because I am passionate about the arts and it fills my non training time with otheres passion as well.
Its a great way to ask and seek about the details that training time may not leave for discussions on the mat. History or general info. Again always with a grain of salt. Double check and research eveything and most importantly get up and walk away from the keyboard.......

Dave O.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I take some exception to the button-pushing language and blanket characterization of bias's among my staff, and the follow up partial back step that wasn't really. If people have problems with this sites staff, they know how to reach me.

My response to some of this was written a few months ago.
People You Don't Like Are Online Too... By Bob Hubbard

Otherwise, in short, people online lack the manners they would otherwise have in person, and the internet, like books and tapes is a good compliment to, but never a replacement for personalized, in person training under a competent and experienced instructor.

And that, is all I have to say on this.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personal opinion - the internet is no different from any other medium, it just allows more personal interaction. A person can go to a library and with research get a lot of the same information. If I want to discuss something, I can call someone. This is just the newest iteration...its like a library and a phone all in one! And people will adapt. It is already common knowledge that any idiot with a computer can post anything they want on the internet. Just like a book, the internet is completely user beware. I can get books that have all of the same nonsense in them - its called fiction.

The biggest difference between today and the past is that people are questioning their surroundings more and more. This may have even been brought about by the internet. There was a time when if your instructor said something, it was gospel. It was disrespectful to question. It was insane to imagine that a TEACHER could be WRONG about something. But in today's culture, we have accepted that no one is the burning bush. Everyone is subject to error and making mistakes. We know how mis-history has profilerated down through time. One teacher tells his students, those students tell their students, the next thing you know, you have a culture of people with a wrong belief...and who were taught to never question.

Another point here is the people who come here, for the most part are in search of knowledge. I fail to see that as a bad thing. Anyone who seeks to expand their own understanding of things deserves respect in my opinion. If you come here, you have to make your own decisions....read the information presented and come to your own conclusion, just as with any knowledge you receive. Some is just easier than others. If someone tells you that the sky is purple....you're probably not going to believe it. But if someone says that D-Day was June 6th, 1944....that's pretty solid. Unfortunately, martial arts is generally all stuff in between those extremes. Look at Independence day....for years, July 4th was not questioned in most people's mind. When I was a child, I was taught that the US gained independence on July 4th, 1776, but with more research, you will find that it is more of an arbitrary date. The first vote for adoption was done on that day, but the final signing wasn't until August 2nd. Stuff like this occurs all throughout history...and it is up to the receiver to determine what is truth and what requires more research. So how is the quest for knowledge a bad thing?

Now one thing that I would agree on - the internet is no substitute for a real martial arts teacher. You can NEVER learn martial arts from the internet....but you can advance your understanding and learn more about what you're doing. It can also give you the questions to ask - and when you get an answer that isn't quite right....how to refute it.

The Last Legionary

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Case in point.

This discussion here has nothing to do with winning or losing arguments here on MT, or any specific debates (as I have mentioned none), but rather the experiences that I have noticed as to the method, attitude, and lack of courtesy some have towards others with whom they disagree. I have been in heated debates here on MT, yet I don't feel any disrespect towards those who disagree with me. The above poster might just be playing a psychological game, and trying to get under my skin, but it does not bother me personally. However, in my opinion, it is an inappropriate way to disagree, and not conducive of the spirit of Taekwondo. I feel this type of cancer is spreading throughout the internet, and could affect the world of Martial Art instruction - - my chosen profession.

First Rape, now Cancer. Tell me Master Chief how do you propose to "stop the spread"? To me, you are in fact, part of the problem. To be honest, if your students are turning from you to the internet for training, it would seem that the source problem lies with you. I don't Taekwondo. I smack people upside their lame *** head with what ever is at hand. Stick, shovel, folding chair, even a BluRay DVD player. Don't matter to me. I just love to hear the sound. Love n Honor is great, until it gets you laid out and carried out in a black bag.

You want respect online? Teach it in your school. You need parents who will teach it at home. You need teachers in the educationals to teach it and demand it there. It must come from all sides otherwise, you're pissing into the wind and standing in the wrong spot pal. Seems that's what most of the wankers who complain about this site elsewhere lack as well now that I think about it. You want respect from me, you earn it. Your rank, title, years in, all that jazz, means squat to me. You earn it by what you write, how you react, all that jazz.

As to this:
All should be clear that I still believe Martial Talk to be one of the best (if not the best) Martial Art forum on the internet, as I did when I joined - which is why I joined. That has not changed in my mind, and I am not condemning all of the moderators as a whole, because many of them do an excellent job of keeping things polite, on topic, flowing smooth, and attempting to remain neutral when they must intervene - - but others do not.

Tell me brudda, are the ones who "do not" the ones that disagree with you? I ask because on some boards, that's how to tell who are the sucky mods. The ones who don't agree with you. The 'good' ones of course always agree with you. Just seeking to scan your wavelength holmes. You've taken a lot of little shots at them in what I've read, and it kinda pisses me off. They can't tell you off. Kaith there would cane their asses. It's why I stepped out way back when, in the long ago time. It cramped my style of shooting from the hip. You having issues with mods here, you talk to the boss or you STFU and grow some thick skin. You aren't making any friends with your poorly written and broad statements dude.

I promised a few folks I'd let up and I'm done after this. You ain't worth getting my *** banned over. I've enough warnings as is.

One last bit of wizdumb here Darwin: Show up for the meet this year. You might find some good people and be able to put alot of this crap behind you.

Ok, I'm done. I'll let you folks boot heads. I've got more fricken shoveling to do. &(*%$* lake effect crap. BLEECH!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
THREAD CLOSED FOR REVIEW!

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions