The highest rank color in your system

What is highest rank color in your system?

• Black

• Red

• Midnight Blue

• Checked Color

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
S

Shinzu

i was just curious to find out what is the highest rank color in your system, if you wear belts or sashes. also what is the meaning behind the color if you know. just wanted to learn a little more about everyones style system.

in tang soo do the hightest rank belt is a midnight blue belt with a central red stripe through the middle. this is considered the masters belt and is worn by ranks of 4th dan and above. the midnight blue rather than black signifies the there is always more to learn. where black is considered a finishing color, midnight blue is the closest color to black, but there can always be more knowledge (color) added. thus making the highest ranking person forever a student.:karate:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shinzu
i was just curious to find out what is the highest rank color in your system, if you wear belts or sashes. also what is the meaning behind the color if you know. just wanted to learn a little more about everyones style system.

in tang soo do the hightest rank belt is a midnight blue belt with a central red stripe through the middle. this is considered the masters belt and is worn by ranks of 4th dan and above. the midnight blue rather than black signifies the there is always more to learn. where black is considered a finishing color, midnight blue is the closest color to black, but there can always be more knowledge (color) added. thus making the highest ranking person forever a student.:karate:

Shinzu,

I am not a student of TSD, yet I thought the Master Rank was at 5th degree?

Just curious? Still learning
:asian:

Modern Arnis While GM Remy Presas was alive is Black Belt trimmed in Red.

OP
S

Shinzu

hey rich :) in TSD Moo Duk Kwan the masters rank starts at 4th degree. grandmaster is achieved at 8th. every system is quite different im sure and well as organizations.

OP
E

Elfan

EPAK:

Red I supose but it is the color of stripes on a black belt (signifiing degrees). There is no completly red belt, see below:

Attachments

• $bb491.jpg
    $bb491.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 278
OP
S

Shinzu

i realize that some belts have stripes to signify rank so you can post that too. i was just wondering about the main color, but all stats are just as important.

OP
C

chufeng

Yi Li Quan has broken from the Chinese tradition of no belts...

For those interested, I can fill you in on the reasons our founder chose to use a ranking system...

Our ranking system is slightly different than a karate or judo system in that one can tell what aspect of our system one is training in...

White belt...beginner, basic training...4 hands and 4 feet and the first form..."9-steps form" which basically shows the stances and stepping actions within the system.

Yellow belt: BaiXingQuan and an introduction to the shape forms of YiLi...there are two levels...

Blue Belt: XingYiQuan and further study in the shape forms of YiLi...there are two levels ...

Green Belt: 24-step TaiJiQuan and continued study in the shapes of YiLi...there are two levels...

Brown Belt: Basic YiLi Ba Gua Ch'ang and continued study on the shapes of YiLi...two levels...

Black Belt: Five levels...The advanced XingYi, TaiJi, and BaGua forms are introduced...weapons training, including the staff, broadsword, spear, and double edged straight sword (in that order) as well as completion of the shapes of YiLi

Red belt...three levels (The founder holds the top level)
Synthesis of the lessons learned at the other levels...

Our system is traditional in the sense that many other aspects of the traditional Chinese arts are required along the way...Traditional Chinese Medicine, to include study of herbology, acupuncture, massage, and joint manipulation/bone-setting.
Essays about many of the philosophical underpinnings of the Chinese arts are required...as well as an exploration of other arts, such as Aikido, JiuJitsu, Okinawan Karate, Japanese Karate, etc...

The concensus at the senior level is that we don't need no stinkin' rank...
Sifu appreciates that, but says that it is necessary...
Whatever...

That's our system in a nutshell.

chufeng

OP
C

chufeng

realize that some belts have stripes to signify rank so you can post that too.

I do stripe the junior levels...gives them something to work toward...

The black belts don't like the idea of stripes...can't blame them...but I only require a striped belt IF I have designated them as the primary instructor for the day...otherwise they can wear their plain old black belt...

(BTW, I pay for their striped belt and warn them ahead of time when they are going to be the primary instructor for class)

hope this helps...

I wear whatever colored belt I want...sometimes white, sometimes blue, sometimes yellow...whatever...that is the part of me that has always challenged authority...Fortunately, I have a good relationship with my Sifu...he hasn't reprimanded me, yet.

chufeng

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shinzu, you covered TSD LOL.

WTF TKD, the highest is black. TKD MDK (which I will be starting here soon), is like TSD. They have a red stripe through the black belt for masters (not sure what rank that is). The black belts don't have "stripes" on their belts either. There's nothing on their black belts (below masters). Not even their name. One guy did, but he came from another style of TKD.

Once I start at this dojang officially, I'll get "nosey." LOL

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
I wear whatever colored belt I want...sometimes white, sometimes blue, sometimes yellow...whatever...that is the part of me that has always challenged authority...Fortunately, I have a good relationship with my Sifu...he hasn't reprimanded me, yet.

I wear a plain black one when I remember to bring it... ;)

Chufeng hasn't yet told me I have to wear the foo-foo shiny belt with stripe yet... Yet... With luck, that day'll never come.

Belts serve one purpose only (and it ain't holding your pants up). They help to teach you proper breathing. That is the only reason I wear one at all. Rank don't mean nuttin'...

Gambarimasu.

OP
C

chufeng

OK...now I'm tellin' ya...

...and I want you to sew some nice frilly pink stuff on the edges...

:D

NOT

chufeng

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I train at a dojang affiliated with the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF). The upper rank practitioners wear a BLACK belt with nice gold stripes at the tip of the belt which indicate the wearer's dan (degree) rank. One gold stripe = 1st dan, 2 stripes = 2nd dan, etc... :asian:

OP
A

A.R.K.

I have incorporated into MRJ a simple rank structure. It consists only of white, yellow, green, brown and Black [with the various degrees]. Neither the Kyu belts or Black belts have any distinguishing features and normally we do not wear them at all. Neither do we normally wear gi's [at least the tops] except for special occasions.

My view is that even if you have a Dan, a high Dan or multiple Dan's you are always a student. In this regard I just like to keep the belts simple and unadorned. Same with the gi unforms when we actually do wear the top. We have our Dojo patch, KYHA patch and the American flag.

It works for us very well. :asian:

OP
K

Kenpo_Norm

In Chinese Kenpo our highest rank is 10th Dan, which is a Black Belt with 2, 5 inch red bars on each end of the belt. The Senior Grandmaster of the IKCA has a cerimonial Red Belt with two 5 inch black bars on the end. This belt of only for the Senior Grandmaster and is passed down from Senior Grandmaster to Senior Grandmaster, and is worn only on special occasions.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Aikido there is only black and white, and since in a strick sense black and white are not colors, we dont have color belts in Aikido :p

Usally it's white up to shodan, and then black all the way up. The only person not using a belt is the the current leader ; Ueshiba Moriteru .

I know that some schools have started using colored belts, but I'm not sure for the reason why.

/Yari

OP
S

Shinzu

this thread has become very interesting. thanx guys :)

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
In the system of Ryukyu Kempo that I study, our Master instructor wears a Red Belt, but claims that the highest rank attainable is to return to white belt, but the belt is double the width of the normal belt.

--Dave

Latest Discussions