The high horse

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I don't disagree with some of the notions they presented, but they use a point of view that just about matches the bias & uselessness of mainstream media at times.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think we could all gather videos, newsclips, etc to present any picture we want about any particular subject - such as was done here concerning Martial Arts. I wonder what their real motivation is? (That might be a more interesting story than the clips on youtube.) It's not to preach researching whatever particular training place you might be interested in. It's obviously something else. To me it sounds like a hate for Martial Arts.

I watched every one of their videos. I studied the youtube site, which I really know nothing of. There was a place you could e-mail the poster - but it was disabled.

If I had no knowledge of the Arts and watched all those clips I wouldn't have a realistic idea about the Arts. And that kind of pisses me off. To me - that person has a serious axe to grind. I just want a chance to grind back.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Considering the level of discipline I've seen in the kids advanced class vs. beginners class, I'd say kids should be ENCOURAGED to take martial arts, not banned.

Plus, there's the fact that when your kid is walking down the street and someone pulls up in a car, there's only one person protecting your kid: him or herself.

OP
R

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
In one of the videos he says that if there are no videos of martial arts masters fighting then they are all fakes.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look it is agenda driven but some of the points about spotting bullies and avoiding cults are reasonable points to make about martial arts.

It is hard when you are in the middle of something to tell if you are in that situation.

Then of course the vids go off the deep end.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's amazing what some people will do for attention! :)

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree some schools have a cult like environment and that they should be avoided.

I don't agree with all the demonstrating of KO's on minors or kicking the eight year old in the stomach.

the competition aspect of minors is just like having them compete in any contact sport so the parents and the kids usually know there's a percentage of risk in participating in the tournaments.

In my opinion the videos are just trying to make martial arts look bad for minors by taking some cult like clips and some questionable instructors methods of demonstrating.

Over all i feel kids benefit greatly from learning martial arts.

Strive To Be A Martial Artist & Not A Jock Artist.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree some schools have a cult like environment and that they should be avoided.

I don't agree with all the demonstrating of KO's on minors or kicking the eight year old in the stomach.

the competition aspect of minors is just like having them compete in any contact sport so the parents and the kids usually know there's a percentage of risk in participating in the tournaments.

In my opinion the videos are just trying to make martial arts look bad for minors by taking some cult like clips and some questionable instructors methods of demonstrating.

Over all i feel kids benefit greatly from learning martial arts.

I was talking to one of our boxers the other day. Kid blew me away. He has had 30 fights and he is 16.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Id like to find this guy and kick him back

Last edited by a moderator:

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Id like to find this guy and kick him back

AGREED!!! WTH..... Cross-over side thrust kick to a kid.....Really?!?

I dont agree with the premise of any of these videos, but I have to give it to their creator. They found quite a few questionable displays....

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I dont agree with the premise of any of these videos, but I have to give it to their creator. They found quite a few questionable displays....

Eh, in fairness he made the kick into just a shove so the kid could demonstrate his breakfall. The kid appeared to be neither hurt, scared, or upset.
Mind you, I would never do such an exercise with an 8 year old kid myself. It would be way too easy to misjudge things so that the kid did end up hurt or upset. I don't see a benefit that would be worth the risk. Still, it is unfair to present that as the instructor beating up a little kid.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having watched more of the videos, a couple of thoughts:

The maker seems to have no idea that many of these demonstrations involve the uke playing along with the demonstrator and acting as if he had been hit with a devastating blow. It's sort of like showing scenes from an action movie and complaining about what a bully Bruce Willis is for beating up on those defenseless stuntmen.

What's up with the voiceovers? They sound like they are computer generated.

You can certainly find bullies, cults, and frauds in the martial arts community (as in many other fields as well). I don't think that the maker of these videos knows enough to identify them.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I totally agree.

It would be like one of us telling him ok now stand in low horse stance dont flinch or cover because I'm now going to deliver an upward kick to your groin (everybody applaud) now chigung breathe and I will commence my evil laugh after the attack.

Pwen Arye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok first off.....LOL :rofl::rofl: at them saying all martial arts fighters are fake.

Second, I have this weird feeling whoever this person is, might have been burned by his sensei/martial arts organization at one time or another. Are there instructors that abuse their students? Yes. In fact let's ask the question, are there any person in higher power in ANY organization (either sports, religion, politics etc) that has abused his power and his underlings in anyway? YES. Whenever someone is involved in an social community activity, there are going to be bullies. To single out one particular activity for criticism is sorta (really) stupid, unless you have been personally victimized in that specific area.

Last edited:

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Eh, in fairness he made the kick into just a shove so the kid could demonstrate his breakfall. The kid appeared to be neither hurt, scared, or upset.
Mind you, I would never do such an exercise with an 8 year old kid myself. It would be way too easy to misjudge things so that the kid did end up hurt or upset. I don't see a benefit that would be worth the risk. Still, it is unfair to present that as the instructor beating up a little kid.

I didnt mean to charaterize the instructor as beating the kid, just that this drill on a young kid who appears not to have been given training on how to properly fall could have caused undesired results. In addition, a side thrust kick has alot of power. Obviously enough to knock the kid off his feet.

There are much safer drills to practice break falls....IMHO.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Having watched more of the videos, a couple of thoughts:

The maker seems to have no idea that many of these demonstrations involve the uke playing along with the demonstrator and acting as if he had been hit with a devastating blow. It's sort of like showing scenes from an action movie and complaining about what a bully Bruce Willis is for beating up on those defenseless stuntmen.

What's up with the voiceovers? They sound like they are computer generated.

You can certainly find bullies, cults, and frauds in the martial arts community (as in many other fields as well). I don't think that the maker of these videos knows enough to identify them.

Lol. They are not fake the instructor is killing the guys chi or something.

Which if apparently I believe is a bunch of crap. It is less likely to work.

Latest Discussions