The Forgotten Art Of Un-Balancing Opponents

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes we remember and train hard to learn the 'big moves' that make up our individual arts, but neglect the small things, and those can have a very large impact on our ability to defend ourselves.

For example, when training, our opponent (uke) takes a step towards us and launches a punch. We respond (in this case) by performing a block or deflection that ends with a hand-trap (we capture the incoming fist).

Obviously, it is important that we avoid being hit. The response above is important to learn to do correctly for exactly that reason.

However, there are a number of little but important aspects of the trap described above that should not be neglected. Now that we have avoided being hit, what else can we do here?

By dropping our center of gravity, or by movement of our own bodies, we can pull the extended, trapped, arm of our opponent. This causes them to become slightly off-balance. Perhaps only by an inch or so.

That inch is very important.

First and foremost, when we humans lose our balance, our highest priority becomes regaining it. This takes the opponent's mind out of fighting you, even if only for a moment.

As fighters, we also train to align ourselves correctly to deliver power in the form of a punch or kick. We need good balance to be rooted to the ground, to generate power by rotating our hips and shoulders, and if that balance is stolen, we cannot generate power as we have trained ourselves to do.

An off-balance opponent is also weak in body structure, meaning that they cannot effectively strengthen muscle groups to gird against incoming body blows. What I mean by this is that a person who can normally take a strong punch or kick to the midsection is far less able to do so when they are off-balance.

When a person is off-balance, they naturally extend their arms, either to regain balance as a tight-rope walker does, or as preparation to catch themselves as they fall forwards. This opens up their head and body to attack as well.

So by all means, train yourself to intercept an incoming blow and to trap it. However, the real key to this defense is the subtle but powerful movement that drops your weight and/or turns your body to force the opponent to extend and thus over-balance themselves just slightly.

At that point, you are given a momentary free pass to do bad things to him. Use this to your advantage.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my favourites moves in sparring or fighting is a quick front leg sweep. I use my front leg to sweep but it's not a full takedown sweep it just unbalances their stance and usually from that I launch into a side kick because their stance is unbalanced and their not thinking about defending just on getting their balance back

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I been only punching and kicking people for so long that I neglected these things. The Shou shu dojo has been reminded me of them.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my favourites moves in sparring or fighting is a quick front leg sweep. I use my front leg to sweep but it's not a full takedown sweep it just unbalances their stance and usually from that I launch into a side kick because their stance is unbalanced and their not thinking about defending just on getting their balance back
It works as full sweep to. The front leg sweep that you speak of is one of my favorite because it's highly unpredictable and it's very fast mainly because fighters have a habit of stepping inside of someone's lead leg. It is also out of the range of vision because of the location. The person receiving the sweep never sees it coming because it's just physically impossible to do so.
If you use that same sweep as a full takedown then it will send your opponent in the air.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A simple leg kick would work for unbalancing as if you get it right causes the opponent to wobble or have to adjust. I personally never just throw a leg kick I always follow it up with either a punch or another kick it's worked well so far for me. I don't think it's really forgotten I think it's just hard to see. Like I said a leg kick would unbalance as would a push kick even if it doesn't send you flying it'll unsettle your base

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my favourites moves in sparring or fighting is a quick front leg sweep.
Do you have any clip that use the front leg to sweep?

Not sure how you will use your front leg to sweep. Most foot sweep uses the back leg. In the following clip, he steps in his right foot first (put his rooting leg at the right spot). He then uses his left back leg to sweep.

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Funny thing, the crux of my training is to unbalance my opponent at every possible turn... not forgotten over here o_O

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you have any clip that use the front leg to sweep?

Not sure how you will use your front leg to sweep. Most foot sweep uses the back leg. In the following clip, he steps in his right foot first (put his rooting leg at the right spot). He then uses his left back leg to sweep.

Doing a sweep from the front leg isn't as difficult as it sounds. I think you may have actually seen a video of me doing one.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Doing a sweep from the front leg isn't as difficult as it sounds. I think you may have actually seen a video of me doing one.
You may talk about sticky kick or scoop that both require hands controls. It's hard to generate enough leg power by using your front leg to sweep.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Aikido balance is core and central to every technique, if I forgot it, I would be doomed by my own attempted technique. In Aikido, as I would imagine for many other arts, the practitioner benefits from sustaining the balance, particularly along vertical axis without conscious effort, flexible and not resistant. Just like in life :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You may talk about sticky kick or scoop that both require hands controls. It's hard to generate enough leg power by using your front leg to sweep.

Nope. it's a sweep. It's just shorter than the rear leg sweep. The generation of power will depend on the fighting system.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to use a low turning (roundhouse) kick to the ankle, hook my foot around the Achilles tendon and then pull them off balance. Takes them completely by surprise.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You can get them without hands.

You get them either as a foot is off the ground and drill the supporting leg. So mid kick.

Or as their foot is about to land. So they figuratively slip on a banana peel.

The timing can be pretty tough.

I have one where i throw a leg kick that looks like it is going for the front leg and hit the back. If they have raised their leg to check it can send them over.