The Eye Gouge In Action.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Woman gouges eyes of attempted rape suspect to escape Astoria attack

He tried to sexually assault the woman and she was unable to get away – until she gouged his eyes, police say. A woman who was nearby said she heard screaming.“I had just gotten off work and was sitting on my porch,” Dakota Adams told Fox 12. “I heard screaming coming from right over there down the hill and because the bars are nearby I thought it was just drunk people.”

So did the woman who called 911.

She asked her name not be used, but said she heard yelling coming from her yard near 8th & Harrison just after 1 a.m. Wednesday. She didn't think anything of it until she heard a woman in distress yell, “Get off me

I note that the eye gouge worked--it seems she didn't do any serious permanent damage but his eyes do look red in the video--and that two people who heard the screaming didn't recognize it as an attack for which they should call 911 and assumed it was just commotion from bar patrons until the victim clearly indicated she was being assaulted by yelling for the man to get off of her. Bad idea: She chased the man for several blocks as he ran away.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you get your fingers in and around the eyes it will work. Just a little force can be really effective. It can however some times be hard to get to those targets.

Great job by this woman in defending herself!!!

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good for her, able to escape harm.
But something nagging me, is it really eye gouging or eye poking/pressing? Because I saw several times when people did thumb pressing to the eye being called eye gouging...
Sent from my RM-943_apac_indonesia_207 using Tapatalk

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Good for her, able to escape harm.
But something nagging me, is it really eye gouging or eye poking/pressing? Because I saw several times when people did thumb pressing to the eye being called eye gouging...
Sent from my RM-943_apac_indonesia_207 using Tapatalk

I train all my nieces to fan/rake the fingers across the eyes starting with the pinky finger till you end up with the thumbs poking in to the eyes with the thumbs inline with the radius bone. The next step is to try to grip the eye socket with the thumbs as you try to reach your fingers around the opponents ears or jaw line for a good grip then start pulling or turning the head around. It works great in the guard or triangle choke position.

I also have that same mentality in a street scenario as well LOL.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I train all my nieces to fan/rake the fingers across the eyes starting with the pinky finger till you end up with the thumbs poking in to the eyes with the thumbs inline with the radius bone. The next step is to try to grip the eye socket with the thumbs as you try to reach your fingers around the opponents ears or jaw line for a good grip then start pulling or turning the head around. It works great in the guard or triangle choke position.

I also have that same mentality in a street scenario as well LOL.

That explain it.
I only know similar technique with palm upward where the pinkie and the rest 3 fingers doing slashing motion then turn the palm do opposite direction with the pressure in the pinkie nail while the index finger do a hook thing. We use guava fruit to illustrate it, even though it always makes me shiver every times someone execute it...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You cannot reasonably expect a high level of accuracy from what passes for journalism in the world today. "Gouge" is far more dramatic than "poke". Consider, for example, every report of a SCUBA accident I've ever seen, in which they always refer to our "oxygen tanks". They're not. They're AIR. Except for very advanced technical divers during a shallow decompression stop, you'll never see a diver breathing oxygen under water. Why? Because if you breathe O2 deeper than about 20 feet, it causes seizures. Seizures under water, as you might expect, have a very high mortality rate.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very effective. Also, biting can be very effective in self defense too. Tremendous force can be produced in the jaws so biting can do lots of damage.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The other take-away for me here is that two people heard screaming and dismissed it as just commotion from the nearby bars--it wasn't until the victim started screaming "Get off me!" that one of them went to call 911. It used to be common advice to tell people to yell "FIRE!" not "HELP!" when attacked, under the theory that people are more likely to call for emergency services in the former case and to not want to get involved in the latter case. I never bought that argument as stated, but I do think yelling "Call the police!" may be better than a generic "Help!" or an incomprehensible scream.

Latest Discussions