The Dark Knight.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Batman Begins was a terrific comic book movie. Dark Knight is just a terrific movie.

I will not be surprised if Heath Ledger takes a posthumous oscar for Best Supporting Actor this year. And Aaron Eckhart was terrific as Harvey Dent. Oh, and Maggie Gyllenhaal was much better than Katie Holmes. Katie Holmes' irritating habit of talking and smiling out of one side of her mouth makes her appear to suffer from Bell's Palsy or something. It was distracting and unnattractive.

Heath Ledger definately made the movie great that was the best comic book movie yet IMO

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great movie. Ledger damn near stole the show.......much more than just action flick, lots of psychology involved and that is what made it even more enjoyable. For a 2 1/2hr movie it was spectcular and I could have sat thru another hour.

Some of you guys are a lil too critical of Bale (who to me does a great job) I mean you guys are comparing Keaton who portrayed Batman at a later stage in life) to Bale who is showing you Batman from day one.
Bale did a decent job as Bats and BW. I can't get into the whole "duality" debate cause it ain't that deep to me....lol
You guys are worse than us Harry Potter fans. At least with Potter we can analyze more cause we have 7 novels.

I agree Ledger should at the least receive a oscar nomination for his portrayal.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's set records for opening day and opening weekend sales, as well as IMAX and midnight showings.

But, Spider-Man 3 may still have sold more tickets its first weekend as those numbers aren't adjusted for inflation.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just saw this last night at the drive-in (with Hancock). It made for a good double-feature: the grittiness of Dark Knight, and a "super-hero" flick that breaks all the established rules.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's set records for opening day and opening weekend sales, as well as IMAX and midnight showings.

But, Spider-Man 3 may still have sold more tickets its first weekend as those numbers aren't adjusted for inflation.

The only thing I hate about the records thing is that it is never fair. Like the Dark Knight beat out reigning champ Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith but then when you take a closer look you find out that DK opened in a lot more theatres than SW:ROTS.

yEAH imax IS SOLD OUT HERE FOR THE NEXT 2 DAYS!!!!
I had to go to regular theatre but I will see it a second time in IMAX for sure.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good Joker often steals the show from Batman. After all, Batman is SERIOUS. (Though I read a short story several years ago where Batman did some pretty wild things, like Fatman... I gotta dig that book up, because I think there was also one, or it may be the same story, where someone tried to program Dick Grayson to believe he was the Batman!)

In fact, the crooks often steal the show... They and Alfred tend to get the best lines, and most room to move around with the character...

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alfred was well done by Michael Caine. A small role but it goes to show that ther are no small roles, only small actors.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Christian Bale Released After Alleged Assault Arrest

Batman's Christian Bale was arrested in London Tuesday, following assault allegations reportedly made by his own mother and sister.

He was released from the precinct station later in the afternoon, and he is to return to a station in September, pending further inquiry, a police rep tells PEOPLE.

Bale, 34, allegedly lashed out at his mother Jenny, 61, and sister Sharon, 40, on Sunday at London's Dorchester hotel, where the actor was staying before Monday's U.K. premiere of The Dark Knight.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. What a movie. There are members of my famil that won't see it right away, of course. I think I'll even hold my youngest boy back and he's mature for his age.

An old friend of mine said he felt Ledger's portrayal of The Joker might have been inspired by some Charles Manson behaviors. Thoughts, folks?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An old friend of mine said he felt Ledger's portrayal of The Joker might have been inspired by some Charles Manson behaviors. Thoughts, folks?

All I gotta say is that as "evil" as the joker was, I found myself sympathetic twords some of his motivations.

*shrug*

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An old friend of mine said he felt Ledger's portrayal of The Joker might have been inspired by some Charles Manson behaviors.

Maybe. Reviewers have pointed to A Clockwork Orange which rang true with me.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe. Reviewers have pointed to A Clockwork Orange which rang true with me.
I can see both as being potential influences. My, I must rent that again sometime.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The writers did an exceptional job to make the Joker an insanely brilliant criminal mind. Nice and spooky as well.

Heath Ledger did an outstanding performance. I can see why film critics were talking about an Oscar for him.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Great movie, I simpy loved it. Ledger did a great job. Too bad he succumbed to the Hollywood lifestyle. Thought he was smarter than that.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great movie, I simpy loved it. Ledger did a great job. Too bad he succumbed to the Hollywood lifestyle. Thought he was smarter than that.
He actually lived very humbly, according to the press. It's believed he was overmedicated.

Chitmunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Indeed he was overmedicated. According to the official statements put out to CNN, and Yahoo news Mr. Ledger had been having sever nightmares that were negatively affecting his sleep, he was on both non-perscription, and perscription sleeping medications which were what did him in... he had also been going to therapy because his work to get into character did tax his mind to the point of near insanity, if not actual insanity. He probably did do some study on Charles Manson but that is just speculation on my part. As for his portrayal of the Joker my opinion is the performance was spot on. The Joker is all about stirring the pot, going overboard for a good laugh. Also his ability to show that the Joker was not only a psycho, but also has a brilliant mind was amazing.As for Mr. Bale's depiction of Batsy, I prefer his performance. Maybe it is because I read the current comics, but these days Batman is the person and Bruce Wayne is the costume... it is not a dual personality, Bruce Wayne is an alter ego, a "wall" to hide behind. Mr. Bale is not an outspoken person, but he did a good job hiding his voice as batman so there could be no voice matching to connect him to BW.The only thing I didn't like about The Dark Knight is that they killed off Two Face (or at least made it seem so). Two Face is a major player and is still around in the Batman Story. As for the depiction of Two Face, Awesome.To discuss Batman Begins, the pacing was nessecary to "delet" the previous movies from the viewers minds. As a restart of the franchise it was needed to give the audience a feel for what that universe felt like to keep the universes seperate. Make no mistake I love the Burton films, I even can tolerate Val Kilmer's performance (though I refuse to acknowledge the exsistence of any movie that people say George Clooney played batman... no... be quiet, it never existed ;^P), but as a current Batman Universe reader these last two movies were truer to the comics, but also gave it more of a realistic feel. That's not to say it felt like it could happen next week, it is still placed in a comic book universe and needs to be recongnized as such.Overall loved both movies, and I fully agree that Mr. Ledger deserves posthumos recognition for is excellent work in this film.

Latest Discussions